“Excellent staff and location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad 58 Blu

Riad 58 Blu
Ranked #40 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Southport, United Kingdom
“Excellent staff and location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We are so glad that we chose to stay for our 4 day trip to Marrakech. Our flight was late so we only got into the city at about 10pm. Mohammed, the manager, let us settle in, then took us into the square himself so that we didn't get lost, and also showed us a great place to eat.
He couldn't have been more helpful, and the housekeeping ladies are excellent too!

Only a short distance from a lot of the main attractions in the city it is very easy to get to places (with a few directions from staff). But, it is far enough away to get a little peace at night.
It is very relaxing inside the riad and thew rooms are stunning. We stayed in the double room, which is at the top of the riad and beautifully decorated. We would get a different room next time, only because the bed was a little dodgy at times.

On the shared shuttle home (the riad does offer one but we had already booked ours) the other passengers were talking about their issues with their accomodation, but we really had nothing bad to say!

I will tell everybody I know to go to Marrakech, and I will tell them to stay here! You couldn't ask for better staff anywhere in the world!

Room Tip: Any room is beautiful!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank hannahcaroline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed in this riad for one night which was ok its on the back streets and very hard to find, you cannot go out at night as its not lit up and prob wouldn't find ur way home so I felt like a prisoner.upon arrival I was told I needed a guide which I refused but then got talked into getting one by the manager,I have travelled all over the world and never had one.The guide turned up who was very nice and well educated but our first port of call was his chosen spice shop were we got the hard sell over priced products that you could buy for pennies in the medina we got ripped off.Then we went to a building he said the arctitecure was good and we needed to go in, as soon as we went in I sensed another scam it was Ali babas carpet warehouse.Again I was subject to a hard sell on carpets for thousands of pounds the scams were getting silly,while I was getting ripped off by his mates the clock was ticking on his fee.we were told he wasn't expensive after the hard sells we decided it was a waste of time him being with us so we went back to the riad were we then became prisoners due to the location of the riad.I felt the hotel let the guests down by scanning them maybe if I stayed longer it would have been a lot worse,marakeche is amazing but don't trust anyone at all they all want to rip u off I read a quote THE WIDER THE SMILE THE SHARPER THE KNIFE this is what marakeche is all about..

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank iuo
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We booked this through BA holidays with a flight. We didn't quite know what to expect but hoped it would be somewhere to stay in the heart of the city without being too western. It was fabulous. If you want somewhere like a Premiere Inn without soul or personality but which does an adequate job, don't stay here. If you want to feel part of what's going on in the old city centre, then do. It is a short walk to everything that matters and you can do no better than get advice from Mohammed who is an absolute star. We only had 3 days and didn't want to waste a meal on a bad restaurant. He made sure we didn't. At his suggestion we also went to a fab spa where we had 4 hours on a different planet - really awesome. Ishmael was exceptionally helpful and I agree with other comments about his breakfasts. A bottle of wine on the roof terrace as the sun goes down hearing prayers called is an experience worth the trip all on its own. Many thanks to everyone there. A massive thumbs up from my wife and I.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet. Ours was on the ground floor. If you need absolute privacy then a riad may not...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 63JPS
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I am very conflicted on this place. We had stayed in a different riad in Marrakech several days earlier, so my experience there definitely influenced my opinion of this place.

PROS: The location is very close to the main square and a bunch of cute restaurants (this is key bc it can be very confusing to get around the medina), the riad is very pretty, the breakfast is good.

CONS: It was pretty easy to hear what was going on on the rest of our floor (we were on the first floor); internet was spotty; no shower curtains, so the bathroom got soaked; guests are allowed to smoke in the lobby, which was a little annoying for a non-smoker.

I think the worst thing was the experience we had with one of the staff members who worked at the front desk, which is unfortunate, because we loved interacting with the other people at the riad (especially the man who served us breakfast -- he couldn't have been nicer or more helpful). It was almost as if this guy had multiple personalities; he would lose his temper at the drop of the hat (for example, when we asked him to return our passports, which he had failed to give back to us, he blew up at us for accusing him of keeping them -- sure enough, the passports were in their safe at the front desk), and then he would act friendly in a very fake way to try to avoid us complaining that he had just screamed at us, to the point where the shift in personality felt creepy. We also had multiple issues with the bill at the end; e.g., we weren't told that we would be charged for water when we asked for it at breakfast, and then he screamed at us when we were trying to clarify the charges. Again, when we walked out of the riad, he forced me to make a fake smile and tried to reason with me about why I had just been yelled at.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank medav
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I thought Riad 58 Blu was absolutely beautiful (the tile work is stunning), and it is quite calming after a crazy day in the medina. The breakfasts are amazing, and Ishmael is absolutely fabulous. My only "complaint" would be that staying in the blue room on the third floor is not the greatest. From the bath, you can hear EVERYTHING going on in the kitchen next door (I could even hear one of the women humming). Also, since the deck with the best view is on the roof of that room, when people are up there it can also be noisy. Other than that, it was truly wonderful, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Just back from our first visit to Marrakech, thank goodness for Riad58blu, you do need somewhere to relax away from the madness that is Marrakech. The Riad is just perfect for this, all beautifully decorated with the most helpfully and charming staff Nothing is too much trouble. Ishmael's breakfasts are lovely and really set you up for the day. The whole place is spotlessly clean. Would not hesitate to recommend. Thank's to Paolo and his team.

Stayed November 2012
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is a fantastic riad to stay in when you visit Marrakech. The staff are wonderful and make you feel very welcome. The rooms are all lovely and the atmosphere is very peaceful. We will definately visit again. Thanks Paolo and staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple