“Good food, weird fellow-diner....”

Restaurant Riad Monceau
Ranked #189 of 917 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Moroccan
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fine Moroccan gourmet restaurant in the gorgeous surroundings of the Riad Monceau palace, member of the Chateaux & Hotels Collection group. Enjoy a romantic dinner by the lovely swimming pool ... or by the fireplace at winter time! Savour the most refined Moroccan cuisine prepared by chef Rachida Sahnoune, member of the famous MarrakChef gourmet trophy. Our Discovery Tasting menu is set everyday from fresh market produce. A wide range of some of the best Moroccan wines will allow you to have a genuine Moroccan gourmet experience in a 1001-night decor located only a 100 meters from the hustle and bustle of the amazing Jemaa El Fna square.
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Special dinner in beautiful riad with fine-dining ambitions (not quite there though) and decent wines. Enhanced by neighbouring Frenchman dining alone, who read his newspaper, burped and farted for an hour and then fell asleep at the table. We had a laugh about it with the lovely young couple on the other side, who then added to the fun when the young lady walked face first into a glass door with a helluva bang. No harm done, her bloke creased double. Food good but not the reason we'll remember it.

1  Thank Redclive
RM-management, Propriétaire at Restaurant Riad Monceau, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Guests,
Our clients' opinions are very useful - to us as well as to other travellers, so please let me thank you for writing this nice review.
I understand you had a great time with us and I would like to assure you that makes me sincerely happy.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We went here for one of the set menu dinners and had a really good experience. The restaurant is very cozy and has beautiful moroccan decor. Their tastes very good, if not totally moroccan. I guess this is because they mostly get european or american guests who can't take a lot of spice. Our waiter was really nice and recommended a really good wine to go with our meal. This place is definitely not like a street-food place so its understandly priced. I would go again for a romantic dinner with my partner in a heartbeat.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

The Riad Monceau is a pretty little place but it is very cold. Not helped by staff continually leaving the door into the salon open. We went because their website states how they were on Nadia Sawalha's culinary TV show. I thought it must be good on that basis. Service is slow and food tremendously hit and miss resulting in us having a very poor (and expensive) experience in more ways than one. All started well. We had a nice table and the amuse bouche were very tasty. The soup course arrived and tasted a bit like cheesy socks (it was a bean soup according to the menu). Much later a bread roll arrived by itself which I presume was for the soup. It was so hard I broke a bit of filling from one of my teeth. The semolina shrimp tart was reasonably ok but hardly any shrimp on it (so pretty cheap to make considering the 450 MAD price tag for dinner). When I first viewed the fixed menu I scanned for any meat dishes and found none described in the menu (I was aware of all the French words to look for). Perhaps I should have asked anyway but since I found no meat described in the menu I thought I was safe (I am Pescatarian). The main course was meat. Nothing else, just meat. Of course I couldn't eat it so asked for it to be taken away. This caused chaos. They couldn't do anything else they said so I said fine but said I would happily eat some more amuse bouche instead if that were possible. They did do this but over microwaved the little flat breads till they were like rock so, guess what, I couldn't eat it! Then I said to forget it and move on. But then I was presented with some weird vermicelli pudding thing I didn't ask for in lieu of a dinner and before the pudding course. So weird. I didn't want two puddings. They then made us wait for absolutely ages for the real pudding and this had such a weird flavour I was really gutted since I'd not actually had a main course anyway. By then I had given up and asked for the bill so we could go. They charged full price, didn't seem much upset at our bad experience, no offer to knock anything off the bill. There are much better places to go out for dinner than this. Especially for the price.

RM-management, Propriétaire at Restaurant Riad Monceau, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Guests,
Our clients' opinions are very useful - to us as well as to other travellers, so please let me thank you for writing this review.
I understand you didn’t enjoyed your meal and I must say I am sincerely sorry for that.
I will not go into the details of your comment. You have your say and I respect it. Please allow me one remark however.
You say you’re vegetarian. When did you tell us ? Upon booking ? No. When you arrived at the restaurant (it was 9.15pm though you were scheduled at 7.30pm) ? No. When our Maitred’ gave you the menu ? No. You gave us the information when the main course was served. Unfortunately it was a tanjia… One of the most fantastic dishes of the whole Moroccan gastronomy and one of our most reputed specialties. But, as you say, the tanjia is only meat, meat and more meat so I understand that for vegetarians it’s something closer to hell than to heaven...
Please note we use to welcome vegetarian guests and we’re always happy to arrange a special meal for them (i.e. a delicious vegetable tagine) BUT to be able to do so we of course need to be advised a little bit in advance. Most our guests book through our online booking center where we offer them the possibility to advise us of any food restriction. It’s a very good way to proceed even though this can of course be done on the phone too.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Went with wife. Overall a good experience. We went for the set course meal. Great service. Would go again.

Only downsides.

1. Soup under-seasoned and bread did not come out with it.

2. As we left they had increased price for set meal to over 400 dirhams, making it a touch expensive. Could get an equivalent or better meal in the hivernage area for less.

3. One of the courses came out lukewarm.

Nevertheless if you are staying at the riad monceau, a great place to go on your first night, before you know the area.

Dear Guests,
Our clients' opinions are very useful - to us as well as to other travellers, so please let me thank you for writing this very nice review. I understand you have enjoyed this time spent with us and this makes me sincerely happy.
You note we have changed our rates. This is right. I should say we are sorry for that but we didn't change them for ... 8 years. Most Marrakesh Moroccan gourmet restaurants charge between 650 and 900 MAD for a full menu. We've managed to settle at 360 MAD for 8 years. We're now at 450 MAD and I guess this won't change for a few years...
Thank you for your kind understanding.
I hope we’ll have the pleasure and opportunity to welcome you again if you happen to come back to Marrakech.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

A nice meal although not memorable. A little difficult to find but shopkeepers were helpful to confirm we were on the right path. Very comfitable and nice moroccan features as expected for a restaurant in a riad. I would go again and so I recommend this restaurant for travellers.