“Nice View but Overpriced”

Restaurant Riad Monceau
Ranked #192 of 857 Restaurants in Marrakech
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
London, United Kingdom
“Nice View but Overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I booked it online through their website as a special dinner for our honeymoon. I went there with my hubby on the 10/12/2012. The receptionist was unfriendly, and limited food option. They only offered a 'tasting' menu, which was a normal 3 courses (appetizer, main & dessert). I told the lady that it's our honeymoon, see whether they can arrange a special tiny cake, or dessert for us. She said she will give us a big surprise. However, all I ' ve got is an extra rose beside my set dessert : (
2 tasting menu cost EURO 800. which is extremely overpriced in this country!!

• Visited December 2012
RM-management, Propriétaire at Restaurant Riad Monceau, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear guest,

Your feedback is very important to us and I would like to thank you for your comment.
I feel very concern about the fact you were a bit disappointed with your meal at our restaurant and would like to add – if I may – the following information:

1/ You booked online through our website so you were perfectly aware that our restaurant – as most Moroccan gourmet restaurants in Marrakech – serves a tasting set menu (this is clearly explained on our website as well as on the booking form) ; so, yes, there is a limited food option... but as soon as you receive a perfectly clear information and decide to go for it ... why complain about it ?! I would like to add that if we’ve decided to work this way it’s only because our purpose is to serve a genuine Moroccan food, cooked in a traditional way. When you know that most Moroccan dishes require several hours of slow cooking then you understand that an a-la-carte service is just NOT an option ;

2/ For the same reason as all is homemade here there’s no way we can arrange a special dessert last minute. What we use to do is add a nice candle on the dessert, have our staff sing a nice happy birthday song and offer the lady a rose... For what I understand that was not enough to make you happy but... do you know so many restaurants that do such great efforts to make their guests happy ? If you ask for a special meal upon booking then we’ll probably be able to arrange something really different but, last minute...........

3/ You say our restaurant is really overpriced as it cost you EURO 800 for 2 tastings menus... I totally agree that if it would cost EURO 800 it would really be overpriced ... But very fortunately the actual cost is EURO 80 - EIGHTY EUROS - for 2 tastings menus (32 € per person + drinks) which makes restaurant Riad Monceau one of the cheapest Moroccan gourmet restaurant in town (the average price being around 70 € per person........................................).

I hope this will help. Thanks to Tripadvisor to allow the management response.

Sincerely yours.
Isabelle AUBRY
Owner of restaurant Riad Monceau

• Hebrew first
Larnaka City, Cyprus
“Moroccan style of food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

My family and I loved this place where we got to taste many Moroccan special recipes. Staff were very friendly.

Visited October 2012
Lisbon, Connecticut
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I ate here with a group in october, and the experience was superb. The Riad was beautiful, and evoked the spirit of Morocco decades ago. The service, while slowly paced, was a nice fit for the atmosphere. The food was excellent, from the appetiser right through the dessert. I would highly recommend this spot to anyone, just remember, if you are on a tight time schedule, you need to make some tough decisions, as lunch here can take 90 minutes or more. We had to rush the dessert in order to spend some time in Djeeema El Fna square, as we were just here for the day. It is however, a wonderful experience and well worth the money spent.

• Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great Moroccan restaurant in a great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

We were staying at the Riad Monceau hotel and my wife and me had 2 fantastic meals at the onsite Moroccan restaurant (first one on the day we arrived and the other one on our last night). Highly recommanded. Great Moroccan food in a fantastic Marrakesh riad decor.

Visited November 2012
Wellington
“Impeccable service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We dined here for our first wedding anniversary. I hadn't realised it was a set menu but fortunately my wife and I love Moroccan food and this certainly did not disappoint. The staff were extremely polished and professional despite having limited English. They made the occasion even more special by seating us close to the pool and bringing my wife a single rose and a lit candle with the dessert, then wishing us a 'very happy first birthday' - an amusing mistranslation! A great night and we'd go back in a heartbeat.