Hotel ELDORADOR PALMERAIE in Marrakech did certainly do a good job about cleanliness (no cockroaches or mice/rats spotted anywhere at any time) and good building techniques (never a cold shower and the airco worked without a problem).
But this is where the praise stops.
Let’s talk about a comfortable bed. You find yourself on a rock-hard mattress … you don’t close an eye during the night – so you speak to reception about having a softer mattress - the reply from them is “not possible/not available”.
A comfortable sun-bed during the day … you want to catch up on your sleep under the parasol … oh, plain plastic sun-beds (a lot of them broken) – your upholstering is the comfy sponge of your towel – no sun-bed-mattress available on site.
So you decide to have a quick nap in your room and you put the red “do not disturb” sign on the door ... knock-knock (you do not reply because you’re trying to sleep) open flies the door and the maid comes in, because she says that she needs to change the towels (who were put there freshly the day before) …………………………….????
But there is the praised “ALL INCLUSIVE” buffet food (breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks and the evenings even with show-cooking) this will raise your spirits !!! At breakfast you grab a plate and decide to have some eggs. 4 cooking plates and one staff juggling with 2 pans on 2 cooking plates – it takes an eternity – but a second staff arrives (everybody of the 15 or more persons queuing are relieved) just to find that each staff just handles one pan on one cooking plate. I am flabbergasted by this exemplary inefficiency.
So I look forward to lunch. And dinner. After the fourth day I had enough of veggies drowned in olive oil and chicken, chicken or chicken (each time dryer and harder) and whatever you eat (regardless if you take salads, raw/cooked veggies or potatoes) your main taste is coriander.
So I turned to afternoon snacks … having seen nothing but over/undercooked pancakes for most of the days (on which you can sprinkle some honey – but do not expect a single paper napkin anywhere to wipe your fingers/mouth) I turn to deserts at night. Unfortunately I do not like coconut-cakes, nor deserts made of beaten egg white with too much sugar and food colouring. So my only alternative is fruit - it is better anyway to counterweigh all the greasy food.
But all this makes me thirsty and I would like to take a bottle of sparkling water to my room at night. There are bottles of flat water in the room. For free. If I want a bottle of sparkling water – I’d have to pay for it. OK, I thought, that I had booked a holiday “all inclusive”. I understand that I have to pay for drinks if I desire some non-local alcohol cocktails. But plain sparkling water … ????
Ah, yes, when you sit down at a table at lunch or dinner time, staff will serve you drinks (no self-service). DO sit down where the older restaurant employees’ work, cause the younger ones see you sit down at a table, but they prefer to pretend to be busy and chat rather than serve you. When you make a sign at them they will eventually serve you FLAT water. If –again- you want sparkling water, do not be astonished that you’ll have to ask more than once for it.
Also, I was looking forward to the great day-time entertainment in and around the pool and some sporty activities within the club’s parameters. Unfortunately the announcements over loudspeaker were so blurred that it was impossible to understand. Apart from morning and afternoon aqua-gym the persons in orange t-shirts with “animation” written on the back were fairly invisible.
After a week I run out of cigarettes. Therefore I go to Reception to buy some … there is only a very limited choice – but I am glad that I do not have to drive into town. I am presented with one packet. As I don’t want to come back daily I ask for 4 packets to have enough for the remaining stay … Answer : I cannot give you more than 2 packets, because otherwise there will not be enough left for other customers. I am flabbergasted again … cigarettes don’t turn bad in a day – order/purchase a couple of cartons more for god’s sake.
And, for a Hotel claiming to be international, you better make sure that your French is fluent – the few non-French speaking customers had a real communication problem (unless they spoke Moroccan).
Before I finish one last thing : I was very astonished to see a “Trip Advisor 2013” sign on the wall of the Reception, giving the hotel a “Top 10” certificate … where ARE still in the 2013 summer season, aren’t we ? I wonder how many hotels pay to receive this certificate before the end of the season …
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Temporarily closed due to renovation. Will reopen on April 2017. The IBEROSTAR Club Palmeraie Marrakech is a 5-star all-inclusive hotel in Marrakech that is perfect for enjoying with family or friends. In the rooms of one of the best hotels in Marrakech, you’ll feel like you’ve stepped into a story from One Thousand and One Nights. The hotel’s restaurants invite you to savour the essence of Marrakech in every dish, and its 100,000 palm trees offer a unique landscape to fully experience your vacation in Morocco. Want to learn more? Sweet dreams. The double and family rooms at this hotel guarantee rest for the whole family. They also include a terrace or balcony for enjoying the fresh breeze from the palm trees that surround this hotel in Morocco or sunbathing whenever you like, without leaving your room. Spice up your holidays. With a little bit of turmeric, black pepper and cayenne... And all of the spices that fill Moroccan cuisine with exquisite aromas. Keep surprising yourself by enjoying live cooking shows or trying the flavours of the world in themed dinners. The best part? Everything is all inclusive so you can enjoy every dish, without limits! Oasis of relaxation. Enjoy a relaxing bath in an authentic Moroccan hammam and rejuvenate with an aromatherapy massage. Or, if you prefer, lie down in a hammock by the pool while sipping a gin and tonic. The only requirement is to unwind! Say goodbye to routine. There are dozens of activities and sports available in this hotel with a pool in Marrakech. You can surprise everyone with your aim by trying your hand at archery, learn to dance with various oriental dance classes and even soar in flying trapeze classes like an authentic circus performer. Adventure holidays. In addition to clubs where your children can make friends during their holiday, they will have a blast with slides and water jets, waterfalls, a children’s pool, shows, arts and crafts workshops, and more. Your children won’t have a spare moment to be bored! For avid explorers. There is a free minibus to the city centre, so don’t wait another minute to discover the magic of Marrakech. Strolling through the narrow streets of the Medina, visiting bazaars brimming with thousands of colours, spices and leather or crossing through the Sahara Desert in an off-road vehicle are activities you can’t miss. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your IBEROSTAR Club Palmeraie Marrakech reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eldorador Club Palmeraie Hotel Marrakech
- Hotel Eldorador Palmeraie
- Eldorador Palmeraie Hotel