“Holiday expectations vs reality” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of IBEROSTAR Club Palmeraie Marrakech

IBEROSTAR Club Palmeraie Marrakech
Ranked #181 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
“Holiday expectations vs reality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Hotel ELDORADOR PALMERAIE in Marrakech did certainly do a good job about cleanliness (no cockroaches or mice/rats spotted anywhere at any time) and good building techniques (never a cold shower and the airco worked without a problem).
But this is where the praise stops.
Let’s talk about a comfortable bed. You find yourself on a rock-hard mattress … you don’t close an eye during the night – so you speak to reception about having a softer mattress - the reply from them is “not possible/not available”.
A comfortable sun-bed during the day … you want to catch up on your sleep under the parasol … oh, plain plastic sun-beds (a lot of them broken) – your upholstering is the comfy sponge of your towel – no sun-bed-mattress available on site.
So you decide to have a quick nap in your room and you put the red “do not disturb” sign on the door ... knock-knock (you do not reply because you’re trying to sleep) open flies the door and the maid comes in, because she says that she needs to change the towels (who were put there freshly the day before) …………………………….????
But there is the praised “ALL INCLUSIVE” buffet food (breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks and the evenings even with show-cooking) this will raise your spirits !!! At breakfast you grab a plate and decide to have some eggs. 4 cooking plates and one staff juggling with 2 pans on 2 cooking plates – it takes an eternity – but a second staff arrives (everybody of the 15 or more persons queuing are relieved) just to find that each staff just handles one pan on one cooking plate. I am flabbergasted by this exemplary inefficiency.
So I look forward to lunch. And dinner. After the fourth day I had enough of veggies drowned in olive oil and chicken, chicken or chicken (each time dryer and harder) and whatever you eat (regardless if you take salads, raw/cooked veggies or potatoes) your main taste is coriander.
So I turned to afternoon snacks … having seen nothing but over/undercooked pancakes for most of the days (on which you can sprinkle some honey – but do not expect a single paper napkin anywhere to wipe your fingers/mouth) I turn to deserts at night. Unfortunately I do not like coconut-cakes, nor deserts made of beaten egg white with too much sugar and food colouring. So my only alternative is fruit - it is better anyway to counterweigh all the greasy food.
But all this makes me thirsty and I would like to take a bottle of sparkling water to my room at night. There are bottles of flat water in the room. For free. If I want a bottle of sparkling water – I’d have to pay for it. OK, I thought, that I had booked a holiday “all inclusive”. I understand that I have to pay for drinks if I desire some non-local alcohol cocktails. But plain sparkling water … ????
Ah, yes, when you sit down at a table at lunch or dinner time, staff will serve you drinks (no self-service). DO sit down where the older restaurant employees’ work, cause the younger ones see you sit down at a table, but they prefer to pretend to be busy and chat rather than serve you. When you make a sign at them they will eventually serve you FLAT water. If –again- you want sparkling water, do not be astonished that you’ll have to ask more than once for it.
Also, I was looking forward to the great day-time entertainment in and around the pool and some sporty activities within the club’s parameters. Unfortunately the announcements over loudspeaker were so blurred that it was impossible to understand. Apart from morning and afternoon aqua-gym the persons in orange t-shirts with “animation” written on the back were fairly invisible.
After a week I run out of cigarettes. Therefore I go to Reception to buy some … there is only a very limited choice – but I am glad that I do not have to drive into town. I am presented with one packet. As I don’t want to come back daily I ask for 4 packets to have enough for the remaining stay … Answer : I cannot give you more than 2 packets, because otherwise there will not be enough left for other customers. I am flabbergasted again … cigarettes don’t turn bad in a day – order/purchase a couple of cartons more for god’s sake.
And, for a Hotel claiming to be international, you better make sure that your French is fluent – the few non-French speaking customers had a real communication problem (unless they spoke Moroccan).
Before I finish one last thing : I was very astonished to see a “Trip Advisor 2013” sign on the wall of the Reception, giving the hotel a “Top 10” certificate … where ARE still in the 2013 summer season, aren’t we ? I wonder how many hotels pay to receive this certificate before the end of the season …

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marion A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

The best feature of this hotel must be the grounds: two large pools, lush gardens, and spacious. Thankfully, the rooms don't disappoint either. I particularly liked our bathroom which the hotel seemed to have invested much more in than the bedroom. Our bedroom was standard - no complaints, but no thrills either. Decent aircon, clean, and bed was fine.

During our August break the hotel was full. The buffet was pretty hectic, and although this is far from the fault of the hotel, some greedy guests would take so much that some of the nicest dishes would frequently be empty. Seriously, who takes 20 sausages? There's a nice pizza oven going, as well as the usual Moroccan dishes, salads and crusty breads. The food was good. We loved the Moroccon themed night, and the crepes at breakfast were popular. Such is the thing which these resorts that lunch is the same or very similar buffet to dinner, but never mind.

Staff mostly seemed friendlt, although this was pretty difficult to suss as mosy speak no English spoken. This wasn't a massive problem, but arranging excursions and transfers was a little difficult. Thankfully we had no problems at the hotel, as they would have been difficult to communicate. Bring a french phrase book!

Wifi wasn't working. Actually quite nice to escape the Internet for a few days. Most reviews say something similar, so don't rely on it. Had a power cut one night for 20 mins, was sorted straight away despite it being 2am (you'll feel it straight away if the aircon shuts down in August!!!)

Our biggest gripe were drinks. It was 50 degrees. Water becomes more than necessary! To get a drink of water you have to walk to the bar, wait to be served and then you will be given a small plastic cup - like the type you'd get at a kids party. This is of course drained in a few sips. It would be so much better if they provided bottled water, or at least sold it. It was a pain to keep queuing for water in the heat... Not sure if I'm being fussy, but it did seem a little annoying, especially for an all inclusive place

Overall we had a great time. We were 30 mins free shuttle ride from the city centre so location was great. I think we may be tempted to pay a bit more next time and stay somewhere a bit more luxurious, although this place definitely suited us this time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank globetrottingdaily
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I came to the hotel with my brother and we had a fantastic holiday. The hotel had many activities for us to take part in; aqua gym and volleyball to name a few, and Jasmine and the Animation team did a fantastic job in making it fun and enjoyable. The hotel offered a nice selection of food, and everyone was very friendly - I would certainly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I loved my stay in this hotel. Friendely staff, nice food, loved the typical decor! There are a lot of activities but there's also a corner to relax. I want to congratulate the X-perience team for their enthusiasm & hospitality! Not a negative thing to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hva482
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We booked this through a voucher system and I was a bit worried by some of the pretty poor reviews. I needn't have been. If you do your research, you will know the Hotel is some distance from the centre of Marrakesh. No problem, the Hotel lays on a very regular and punctual coach service throughout the day and into the evening to get your there. Further, the drivers are helpful, and point you in the direction of the various sights around the centre. Food - brilliant. So much variety, the tagines were better here than when we ate out. Loads of fresh salads, fruit, I cannot fathom how anyone would complain about the amount or quality. Alcohol - House wine was pretty basic, but then it is free. Otherwise, we had as much local beer, vodka and various other drinks throughout our stay. Room - we had a large room, 4 piece bathroom with a lovely little balcony, and very welcome air con! It was kept clean and replenished with soaps etc every day. Hotel facilities - the wifi was pretty poor, difficult to log on but quite honestly we were on holiday?? So no biggie. Swimming pools - Now this was one annoying issue. There is a huge family pool with lots of entertainment. Not having kids with us and wanting some peace and quiet, we headed for the Zen pool. No games, and a suggestion that children were taken to the playpool. This was unfortunately ignored by some selfish people who decided to allow their little darlings to splash about and shriek their heads off. Very annoying. I would strongly suggest that the management restrict this pool to no kids, thereby ensuring some peace for those who want it. Also, the reserving of sunbeds by people who had slung a towel on them at some unearthly hour and clearly gone off for the day was a bit frustrating - suggest those towels clearly abandoned by people with no intention of using the facilities are removed. And yes, the majority of the people using the Hotel were French. I found the staff more than happy to speak to me in English, but clearly delighted when I exercised my school girl French on them! All in all a perfectly pleasant stay, very relaxing, very well fed, well looked after. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here as a family of 6. As with all travels. there were pluses and minuses.

First the positives. The food was reasonably good. We at least did not get sick. There was plenty of food and had a good variety of Moroccan quisine.. The wine with dinner was actually better than I had anticipated for morocco. The free drinks at the pool and bar were small and it was always a wait to get one. They may have had two bartenders standing there looking at you and chatting and they really were not in a hurry to serve you. The only "coctail" available were the "house" brand which was quite poor. If you wanted a real cocktail like a pina colada, you had to pay for it.There were a few excellent head waiters in the restaurant. who were among the very few good employees of the whole hotel ( see below). They had a "moroccan" night show fro one of our nights and that was actually quite well done. Music and snake charmers.

Now for the not so positives. The address is wrong. They are in palmeraie, not in the northern morocco suburbs. When we arrived, we had a rental car and it took us 4 hrs to find the hotel in what should have been a 30 min journey. It is impossible to walk from the hotel to the medina as it says in their description. The internet is only in the lobby and is slower than dial up to the point of being useless. Many nights I could not connect at all even for basic email. Their front desk staff are mostly incompetent. There was one lady in [particular who was also always quite short and rude. They do not seem to know how to operate their credit card machine ( or the machine does not work0> We had difficulties on check pout saying our card did not work when it had worked everywhere before and afterwards in morocco. In addition, the day we left fro the airport , we almost were late as they would not let us leave as neither of our credit cards could work in there machine ( the desk agent was trying to swipe the card on the side without the magnetic stripe !!!) AND they also said that our confirmed reservation price was wrong ( despite having a hard copy with the reservation number and price) . After several angry words and persistence, they finally agreed that our reservation was correct. They really need customer service training and training on how to use their credit card machine. One does need suchb stupoiid hassels when you are trying to get away from the craziness of life.. this was a sour end to our vacation.

Room Tip: don't stay here