Riad Opale
Riad Idra(Marrakech)
$221
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Riad Vendome & Spa Marrakech(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
$55
$242
$456
$439
Cancelon
All reviewsthe main squareroof terracenice riadfirst floortaximedinacomfort
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I will start my review by saying that I have been to Marrakech 7 times and stayed in both riads in the medina and large resort hotels in the new area outside the medina. The good things about this riad are: very easy to find as it's not down any narrow alleyways which if it's your first visit then this will probably be a good thing! Yes the big square is about 20 mins walk, but that's fine - one of the best things about Marrakech is walking around and experiencing new things. The roof terrace is large and has plenty of beds and a lovely huge berber tent to chill out. The riad itself is lovely and the pool is one of the largest I have ever seen in a riad. Our room was lovely too - yes there is only one window but I actually thought that our room was well lit with lamps and light so did not find it dark. However this is how riads are built - you do not have lots of natural light. Breakfast was typical for a riad, however not the best I have experienced, but it was ample - pastries, bread, jams, yoghurt, orange juice and coffee. We had lunch one day in the riad which was lovely. Rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels. Although the staff were helpful if you asked a question, they could have been more attentive - when we were up on the roof terrace we had to keep going down to get a drink - no-one came up to us. At night they could have made more of the riad - lit candles and lanterns around the pool area. At night we found the riad to be very quiet - the night watchman was very quiet. It was the birds at 5am that woke you up - but you get that with most riads as they are open air!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mjools
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I booked this for a surprise for my 30th birthday, i arrange Transfers with Laila which on arrival there was a taxi waiting for us that took us straight to out hotel. We arrived at the hotel which was down a small road ( didnt look like a hotel at all from outside) we were greeting with tea. when then got took to our room which was nice.

Breakfast: was the same everyday, we didnt have dinner there, if you do require dinner you have to order in the morning after breakfast.

My partner and i was going into town and wanted a drink before heading out - wer were waiting around for 20 minute with noone about to ask for a drink - this happened alot not many staff around it was like help yourself....

Location: out the way about 15 - 20 minutes from town.

There is a pool which is inside with a open roof top - i recommend sunbathing there after 11 as it gets very hot on the roof top
Would not return..

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LeahSEssex
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Riad is 20 minutes walk from the main square. Whilst it's nice to look at inside, that's about it. Room was very dark with no windows which I suppose is the Morrocan style. Breakfast was terrible unless you like bread and butter and jam which is what you get every day. You also get a piece of cake or an overcooked scone. Not good. Staff not at all attentive, the one that was on overnight used to talk very loudly on his cellphone until very late so even in our room we couldn't get any peace. They were more interested in standing aroud chatting between themselves than seeing that their guests were happy. Not once were we asked if we wanted a drink and when we did have a couple of drinks on the terrace one evening the glasses were still there the next lunchtime.

So all in all, very disappointing so would recommend you choose a different place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Londonpackyourbags
Reviewed December 14, 2010

We stayed here to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. I had booked it as a surprise and he only knew we were going with a week to go. There are so many Riads to choose from but I picked the Riad Opale because it seemed intimate and slightly off the tourist area of Jemaa el Fna. I couldn't have chosen better. The pictures on their website don't do it justice. It is a beautiful Riad with just seven rooms. It is tucked away (but still easy to find your way back to!) and about a 15minute walk to Jemaa el Fna. I arranged for transfers from the airport which made life so much easier and all the e-mails I sent leading up to our trip were promptly replied to - nothing was too much trouble. The food was great - breakfast consisted of fruit juice, pastries, bread, jam, honey and endless cups of coffee. We celebrated my boyfriend's birthday by having dinner at the Riad - the food was wonderful and we dined poolside (it was pouring with rain so we could not eat on the rooftop unfortunately) surrounded by candles - it was a lovely atmosphere. Our room was very spacious and had all that you needed including a safe and hairdryer. The only slight problem was the lighting - it was so dark even with the lights on! All in all we had a fantastic three days and would like to thank all the staff for making our first trip to Marrakech so special. I will happily answer any questions anyone may have about this Riad.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KK03
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I visited Marrakesh for 4 days, 3 nights and I stayed at The RIAD OPALE. I booked it direct with the Hotel and secured a very good price, and I was put in the TOPAZ suite which is one of the seven rooms, it consisted of a room with a king size bed, a 32" LCD TV, private bar, air conditioning and a very large shower room. The hotel is a very traditional Riad and it is built around a seven metre pool which is open to the sky and it is located within the Medina. All the staff are very helpful and Laila, the hotel PR was great, she was the person that I booked it through. The prices listed on the website, www.riadopale.com were very high, but as it was off season a deal was there to be done.
The email address on the website is incorrect, the correct one is: riadopale@gmail.com

I arranged for the hotel limo to pick me up at the airport and take me to the hotel, thank goodness I did as the 'so called Taxi Drivers' do not seem to understand English even when you show them the hotel business card, they are not sure where to go.

It was very hot in August when I went, the 2nd to the 6th, it got uo to over 53 degrees in the daytime and it was still very hot in the evenings. I eat out every night and I had the TAGINES which were very good, you can get all sorts including vegetarian ones, I liked the Chicken, with lemon and olives.

It is VERY expensive to use a mobile phone in Morocco, and if I go again I shall not be using mine.

I took a day trip to the VALLEE OURIKA and ASNI and CASCADE DE SETTI FATMA, we saw the small rivers and cascades, you need to be VERY FIT if you take the climb to the top, about 30 minutes each way, and then had lunch at a traditional Berber House.

Tony Ainsworth,