New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Riad & Spa Esprit du Maroc

Riad & Spa Esprit du Maroc
Ranked #149 of 504 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Nice and Intimate but Slighly Remote with some Security Concerns”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

The Riad is a nice hotel in a quite area on the backside of the souk and in the middle of the old city. The location makes is a great place for walks into the bazar or generally through the old town. Nevertheless it is located in a slightly remote part of the medina and it did not feel SAFE to leave or return to the hotel alone and without a local escort at night. Now I am a 30 year old guy who is usually never worried about security - I travelled remote places in different parts of the world but in order to get out of / back to the hotel, one has to walk through a kind of tunnel system which is quite dark and some local guys were hanging around watching who enters - it just felt like the perfct passage to get mugged in. So whenever I wanted to to leave the hotel I always asked for one of the hotel staff to accompany me into more busy streets for a tip of approx EUR 2.- and whenever I returned I either asked a security guy who guarded a square closeby to get me back for the same EUR 2 tip. If there was no security guard I'd ask the taxi driver to escort me or I'd call the hotel to send someone out. I am usually quite easy going but this time I felt unsafe which for me is a big downside of this place. I also would recommend not to walk back through the streets at night but always take a taxi.

NEVERTHELESS security is pretty much the only downside of the Riad. The management is very personable and feels more like staying at a family guesthouse rather than a hotel - everyone was EXTREMELY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL (the manager Simohammed - sorry if I misspelled the name - did an amazing job!!) and also the rest of the staff was really nice. The rooms are good - not 5 star but 4 star category - the breakfast is quite simple: amazing addictive peppermint tea (or coffee which I never tried) plus some simple local bread with jam and delicious fresh orange juice - thats it. The pool is too small to swim but forms a cute feathure of the hotel - it is more like a decorative pond to sit next to and have a tea. I never ate at the hotel as restaurants in Marrakesh are far too amazing to eat in. The rooms are exactly as on the tripadvisor picture - really beautiful and classic.

So - if you want a very intimate quiet romatic place and you dont mind the security issue raised earlier and if you dont expect a polished 5 star Four Seasons hotel but a lovely special old town feel - this is your place :)

PS: Order a hotel taxi to pick you up at the airport - you will never find the place by yourself. Alternatively you should make sure that your taxi driver finds you a local guy on the street who will bring you to the hotel. Tip them EUR 5 if they help you with the luggage - they will ask for EUR 20 or even more :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank HeikoHeiko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

we went as a group of 38 people......mostly women....our average age group was 60.....the hotel was very centrally situated......rooms were very well appointed as well as the adjoining bathrooms....we had excellent breakfasts and 2 dinners were tasty and the last dinner was excellent......the serving staff was very helpful.... even the housekeeping staff was very meticulous.

Room Tip: volubilis was wonderful
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank parbeen
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

For my first visit to Marrakech, I was seduced upon arrival. I felt like I was transported to the set of Kismet, overwhelmed by colors, scents and history! We were greeted by the riad's driver at the airport and whisked off into the medina. The driver took our luggage and escorted us into the secret oasis tucked within the heart of the souk, a perfectly hidden venue, away from chaos and tourists. This riad has the perfect location on the edge of the souks, close to everything, yet far enough away so you may find peace. We felt welcome and safe here. Upon entry, our senses were seduced not only by the intricate detail and beautiful design of the riad, but by the freshly prepared hot mint tea offered. Fantastic! Following the tea, we treated ourselves to massages and the hammam. What a wonderful way to begin our visit! When we arrived in our room, the bed and bath were covered in rose petals. We truly felt like we arrived in the Sultan's bedroom! Attention-to-detail at this property was paramount -- the presentation was more than lovely, keeping in tune with traditional riad (a traditional Moroccan house or palace with an interior garden...Riads were inward focused, allowing for privacy and protection from the weather in Morocco). The tile work, mosaics, colors, indoor garden, painted ceilings, all stunning. Breakfast on the terrace was perfect and your only need to view the city...as this riad is a perfect place for cocooning -- whether sleeping late, enjoying the hammam or reading in the manicured courtyard. Dinner was also quite good, simple yet flavorful traditional Moroccan food and a welcome treat by the fire, after exploring all day (and terrific service with a smile, particularly Simon, merci!)! I travel extensively for business and was happy to experience the Esprit du Maroc, as it was not just-another-hotel. The owner of Esprit du Maroc has done a wonderful job recreating a magical ambiance for her guests. Note: Morocco can be a challenge sometimes, if you're used to fast service -- Have patience, enjoy another cup of tea, everything here gets done, eventually. As I had to unexpectedly work during my visit, the staff at Esprit du Maroc was also willing to manage my requests, whether getting photocopies, faxes or an extra bottle of water. Thank you so much! We had a wonderful visit and look forward to our return!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zanotti-A-broad
Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Our arrival was not as planned .We arrived by prearranged transport from the airport ( not organised by the Riad ) and were left far away from the Riad. 3-4 guys with a hand cart put our luggage in it and proceeded to bring us down the streets - h hitting my head twice down the unpleasant passage to get to the riad.Th 'guys' who brought the baggage were given equivalent of € 8 .They throw it on the ground and demanded equivalent of € 22 !!! Certain fear grabbed us to go out then in case they attacked us . We stayed in riad and had food. It was nice but so slow . It was very expensive.The rooms were also very expensive for the stay . It was certainly overall not what we expected. The staff did their best although at times there was only 1 person to do everything .The first hamman I took ( done by the cook ) was very good . The next was the worst I ever had . No effort at all put into it at all .The owner appeared at least once and didn't even say 'hello;.We will definitely not return .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank biggestjohn22
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is a beautiful property, with a lovely courtyard and pleasant rooms. The poor service, unfortunately, makes the overall experience well below the average, especially if one considers the high prices charged. Although always courteous and available, the staff do not seem to have received proper training and one feels they are constantly improvising in the various tasks they perform. The gym – one of the reasons we had chosen this riad – is not well maintained and the treadmill for instance is of such low quality that it is of no practical use.
The worst part nonetheless was left for the end, when I requested the hotel manager to book a car for us. The rental agency he suggested left us waiting for two hours and when it finally arrived the vehicle was dirty and old, even though I had been specific about the required condition of the car. I cannot help but supposing the manager's criteria was the highest commission offered instead of reliability of the service. I would have appreciated an honest piece of information.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank DanielMFonseca
Tyne & Wear
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

visited during a 2 weeks stay in Marrakech, the spa facilities were very luxurious and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. There was actually no guests staying in the hotel on the day we visited and they did offer us a great discount to stay the night there! I cant comment on the hotel itself only that the rooms looked very nice. I agree on some reviews that the pool is tiny and I expect the Riad it could be a bit of a nightmare to find on foot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ternat, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed one week in this Riad from July 14th till July 21nd 2013.
The room and bathroom were very clean and spacious, a good bed with clean sheets, they changed the towels every day.
We had breakfast on the lovely terrace every morning, (little variation though)
The staff was very friendly and always present.
We had one meal in the riad which was very nice, compared to the local restaurants price is rather high. (same for the spa)

We advise to buy a detailed map of Marrakech (medina) in a local store (maps in travel guides are not detailed enough), once you orientated yourself, finding the riad even in the evening is not difficult at all.

For excursions and taxi rides you can make better deals by negotiating them yourself, rates in the riad are high.

When you stay in Marrakech during the ramadan, like we did, you should bear in mind that the sights of the town and shops close early.

We would surely recommend this riad to our friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple