“Tricked out to perfection.......”
Review of Maison MK

Maison MK
Ranked #41 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Just got back from Marrkech which is a truly mind blowing experience for your senses. A definate 'must do' for travellers. We had a great few days and couldn't beleive the souks and the Medina, it was like stepping back 500 years.

Our trip was made all the more pleasurable by staying at Maison MK, which has clearly beem a labour of love and detail for the owners. The Riad is small 6 bedrooms (I think), however each one (we were staying in Room 2) has been beautifully decorated and the lighting and electronics are suited to most modern travellers with I Pod recharger and even your own I pod and mobile phone (in case you get lost....which you will!)

The decor aside, the roof terrace is a 'far from the madding crowd' retreat with great views over the walled city and a tranquil well appointed chill out area. The soothing sounds of Cafe Del Mar etc create a laid back ambience. Pauline the manager was excellent with reccomendations for guides to take you around the many souks to, restaurants (Foundouk and Grand Post Office) and the staff had a very helpful 'can do' attaitude. We have some friends going to Marrakech in a couple of weeks and they are holing up here for a couple of nights.......they wont be disappointed. We will also be going back.

There are lots and lots of Riads, however I would be astounded if many were able to attain the high standards of service, style and attention to detail which is found here.

Reviewed April 13, 2010

This is a really beautiful, luxurious hotel in a great location with lovely staff and great food and cocktails. We were visiting Marrakech for the first time and will definitely return to Maison MK.

The decor is really stunning - lots of fresh flowers, great lighting, candles and exotic colours. It even smells wonderful. We had the biggest bedroom (shown on their website), which was really amazing, with a very high carved ceiling, massive (and extremely comfortable) bed, a comfortable lounging area and a luxurious bathroom. It was incredibly romantic, with roses, petals, candles and morrocan lanterns - gorgeous.

Public areas of the hotel are equally beautiful and provide lots of lovely spaces to sit and relax, away from the bustle of the medina. We loved the little rooms around the courtyard and, of course, the roof terrace.

The staff are very friendly and helpful - Pauline's restaurant suggestions were spot on - and everything was done beautifully. Food and drinks were delicious and always served with a smile.

Reviewed April 12, 2010

I recently took my wife and three kids (ages 15, 12 and 8) to Marrakech for a few days. The boys had never been out of the United States, and I felt that it would be good for them to experience a completely different culture. I wanted to stay within the Medina (the walled city) so that we could walk everywhere without having to take too many cabs. I also wanted to have a more intimate experience as opposed to staying at a big branded hotel.

I looked at a number of different riads, but after reading several reviews and corresponding with the British owner, I settled on Maison MK.

We arrived in the evening after a flight from Paris. We were dropped off right outside the Medina walls, where cars cannot fit. As soon as we got out of the taxi, we were hit by the chaos and energy of Marrakech. Tons of people, donkeys, cars, scooters whizzing by...it was pretty overwhelming, especially after coming from Paris. The kids clung to our sides.

But within a minute of getting out of the taxi, a beautiful woman from Maison MK was there to greet us and lead us through the crazy traffic, into the walled city and into the peaceful confines of Maison MK. It was such a nice touch to have someone meet us at the taxi and it immediately made us feel welcome and taken care of. That warm, welcoming feeling lasted the whole trip.

Once inside the riad, we were introduced to Pauline, the manager. Pauline and I had corresponded many times by e-mail prior to the trip to help arrange a guide, cooking lessons and a trip to the mountains. Pauline was just as nice in person as she was over e-mail.

Pauline led us to our rooms that were right next to each other. She opened the doors of each room for us and gave us the WOW moment of the trip. The rooms were beautifully decorated in a contemporary/Moroccan style. A mix of traditional touches and a contemporary style. The rooms were decked out with rose petals. Very romantic---it felt a bit odd to have kids with us, but it was just beautiful. I've traveled to many exotic destinations and seen the rose petal thing, etc, but the whole picture was truly stunning. We were so pleased.

The riad only has 6 rooms, so it is an intimate place. You get to know the staff by name--they are so friendly and accommodating. Breakfast on the terrace was just gorgeous.

Pauline acted as our concierge when we were there. I didn't have much time to make restaurant reservations and wanted to get some local help given the fact that we were traveling with kids. We relied on Pauline's recommendations. She picked just the perfect places for our family. The highlight was a restaurant called "Le Tangia", which is about 20 minute walk from the riad. Wonderful Moroccan food followed by an entertaining belly dancer show. Highly recommended and not cheesy at all--just fun. Anyway, Pauline arranged every dinner, and did an excellent job. She has excellent taste and won't send you to tourist traps. Pauline is French and she has wonderful taste. (Sorry, that is redundant.)

Basically, Pauline and Hamid (the other manager) made us feel like we were staying with friends--yet they were incredibly professional. Every time we visited a public area of the riad, one of them was there to see how we were doing or how they could help us. Yet they were not overbearing in any way and never hovered over us.

The Medina is a confusing, crowded, chaotic place. But highly enjoyable for those looking to experience new and different things. The architecture of the sites is phenomenal. You have to be careful to walk on the right and watch out for motor bikes, donkeys, etc.

By the end of each day, you will need a break from the chaos. I can't describe the feeling of returning to Maison MK after a busy day in the Medina. You walk into this beautiful, peaceful, calm place and then you are greeted by the smile of Pauline or Hamid. Pretty special. We felt so taken care of.

Is this a place you want to take kids under 12? We had our 8 year-old with us. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless your 8 year-old is extremely well behaved. Mine was border line at times. It's a peaceful place and you don't want your kids being too loud at breakfast, etc. It will make you feel uncomfortable. We did our best to keep the boys from being noisy. But Pauline and Hamid never made us feel uncomfortable at all with the family. We just wanted to keep the peace and avoid irritating the other couples there.

A word about the cooking class: it's wonderful, but think about whether you want to go to the market. You will be picking out your own chicken if you know what I mean! The class itself was really fun and a nice experience.

Definitely take a day trip to the mountains. But bring Dramamine. The trip will take you through many winding roads that will likely make you car sick. The mountains are really beautiful. There are guides that will take you on a walk through the mountains. They are about 90 minutes from the riad.

Richard Branson's retreat is right on the way and worth a stop. The lunch and service wasn't wonderful there, but the retreat is beautiful and there is a really nice view from there. So I would recommend it.

Had a mixed experience with shopping in Marrakech. I probably would recommend that you don't hire a shopping guide. The shopping guides will charge you for your time and then will take commissions from the sellers--even though they don't tell you that. That's a total conflict of interest and will cost you a lot of money. We had a shopping guide and it made me very uncomfortable since he was not helping us get a better deal and acted disappointed when I didn't buy something. But that's not a knock against Maison MK. They had nothing to do with the shopping guide.

Haggling in the souks is expected and not very much fun at all. Figure a decent price is 1/3 to 1/2 of the asking price. You'll have to walk away and act disinterested in order to get a decent price. If you want to buy rugs there, you should know what comparable things cost in your country and be prepared to dedicate many, many hours to the experience. I didn't buy any rugs. The experience was too stressful for me. Artwork is much easier to procure and to ship. There are lots of European tourists, so the local salespeople know how to work the tourists.

I have never written a Trip Advisor review until now. But I thought it was important to share my wonderful experience at Maison MK.

It is a gorgeous riad in a convenient spot in the Medina. But it is made all the more special by its wonderful staff including Pauline and Hamid.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We enjoyed relaxing on the stunning terrace, while surfing the Internet thanks to the wifi connection, sipping cocktails, soaking up the Marrocan sun, listening to the lounge music that wafts throughout the whole house. The rooms are incredible. The small details are what makes the difference: morning coffee delivered to your room, jelly beans at night, roses petals at arrival, the home cinema... We appreciated the great help from Pauline to book restaurants and activities. Maison MK is our new home away from home in Marrakech and we strongly recommend it to couples looking for a romantic getaway or relaxing vacation.

Reviewed April 5, 2010

I thought the riad was designed beautifully and made for a very relaxing atmosphere. The staff were friendly and exceptionally efficient. The rooms were lovely and very comfortable, consisting of the necessities for a perfect stay. The roof terrace was the icing on the cake - with beautiful views and trendy furniture, it was a place to go and relax, day or night and enjoy delicious foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2010

We had a excellent stay. I would say it was the turning point of our trip after a hectic tour. It was an oasis. We were staying at the Meridian N'Fis in Marrekech which is big, impersonal with slow service. In comparison, the MK was excellent and all of the staff were very attentive. The Hammam and massage were a treat. The lady who performed the Hammam was excellent and worked hard to make the experience wonderful. The rooms were lovely and the bathroom was decadent. It was nice to find a quiet, clean spot in the heart of the chaotic Medina. The staff gave excellent suggestions and Fausi made sure upon our leaving that the transfer driver to Casablanca, which the MK arranged for us, took us into the airport right up to our airline desk!!! We would not hesitate to recommend this Riad. We only stayed for 2 nights and the MK accomodated our reservation.

In comparison, Riad Noir D'Ivoire told us they were booked for our two days. When my fiance made a second request for 3 days from a different e-mail account (don't ask me why he bothered?), they suddenly had room. We had no such problems with Maison MK.

Pauline, was very attentive and friendly and the owner Paul sent e-mail updates about the hotel which my fiance enjoyed. My fiance and I are seasoned travellors and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 31, 2010

We booked the entire hotel which is the best way to experience Marrakech with a group. Take my word for it - it's in the best location and has the best roof terrace in all of marrakech. you will love it as much as we did. plus wonderful staff.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends