“Exceptional Riad- provides a tastefully hip experience in an excellent location in the Medina.”
Review of Maison MK

and 1 more site!
Maison MK
Ranked #30 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had a superb stay in Maison MK. This is not your traditional riad but a modern, updated take on a Marrakech riad in the heart of the Medina. However, the look and feel of the place is that of an upscale Moroccan home, albeit one that has been tastefully renovated with modern amenities
Pros:
• Location, location, location. Close enough to a taxi, yet a feel of being in the heart of the medina, and only about 5 to 7 mins walk to the quintessential Marrakech destination, Jemaa el-Fnaa.
• The rooms and most of the space are exceptional. From the superb lighting in the bedrooms and bathrooms (truly some of the most innovative and effective use of interior lighting I have seen), to the great music available piped into the room (I want that playlist), excellent bathrooms, cell phones provided in each room for the duration of your stay which double as room phones that are programmed with important local numbers. Lots of lovely nooks and corners, a working home theater where you can watch “Casablanca”, etc.
• Excellent wifi throughout.
• The roof deck, which doubles as the bar, is a great place to unwind and have a drink and/or a snack.
• Excellent restaurant and catering on-site; a modern take on Moroccan cuisine, with some western comfort food thrown in.
• As with any hotel, big or small, the staff makes all the difference and here the staff were all wonderful, and we were looked after very well.
Cons:
• Expensive experience. Even in March the price is ~E300. (It should be noted that transfers to/from the airport/train station are included). I saw some rooms available at the venerable La Mamounia at that price (obviously without transfers), although after visiting that establishment for a drink, it was definitely not our type of Marrakech hotel. All-in-all MK was well worth it for us.
• There is no traditional front desk/lobby, by that I mean the desk is in a very small tight corner by the front door and is mostly unmanned, requiring a short search for a staff/manager, sometimes a few minutes wait outside the front door waiting for someone to let you in.
• No proper bar although it made little difference to us given the beautiful roof area.
• The pool is just a tiny plunge pool for those that might need a pool in the summer.

All-in-all we had a wonderful time and I would strongly recommend Maison MK.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw are great. We had Room 4 and 6 and both were very nice. Room 4 does not have a v...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank AKR1
There are newer reviews for Maison MK

Reviewed March 23, 2014

My wife suggested we went on a short break at short notice and our stay here definitely justified the trip. From the moment the raid door opened to the end of our stay we were treated to a perfect hideaway nicely placed within the medina. The manager (hanane) and her staff greeted us on arrival and ensured we were well catered for during our stay. The signature meal on the Thursday evening was a real treat ( I can highly recommend the house red and also the dessert ;)) .Although fully booked , the seating arrangement near the indoor pool was ideal and private and the service and food was second to none
The roof top terrace was the best setting for breakfast and evening drinks ably served by aziz and faudy...
The raid met us, and delivered us back to the airport( all within the room rate) and spent sometime offering good advice on where to visit Aldo offering a local mobile phone should we get lost!
This is somewhere where( rarely for us) we will return...a splendid raid, nicely located with friendly staff.
Both the stay and the evening meal deserve their high ratings..

Room Tip: Room 1 was ideal, quiet and spacious..
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our 10th anniversary and had stayed one night at a different riad that did not live up to our expectations. We hurriedly looked for a replacement and were happy to find availability at Maison MK. When we walked in we knew immediately that we had made the right choice. After 10 days in Morocco we were in the mood for something less traditional and Maison MK was that, Morocco with a modern flair.There were just tons of thoughtful touches everywhere. We loved the book in the room that advised on every concern we could possibly have, The staff was a delight, warm, energetic, friendly and helpful. We loved the lounge music everywhere and the great sound system in the rooms. The music made us so relaxed. The roof terrace was breathtaking with its 360 view including the Koutoubia. We adored the cinema room and in all our travels have not seen anything like that. It was like being at home. We also did the East/West Hamman and the Tasting Dinner and have nothing but raves for both of them. My only negatives are, for the size of the rooms, I think they are a bit expensive and we paid a reduced rate because it was off season. Maison MK was significantly more expensive than the place we had come from. Overall I found prices in Marrakceh high for spa services and rooms, not what I would expect in Morocco considering the costs of labor. Also it would have been nice to have a bourbon or whiskey on the bar menu. All in all, a delightful place, great location, wonderful staff, charming stylish setting. I love the rubber ducks! In fact, we didn't leave at all one day except to go get mechoui(highly recommended) for lunch one day in the Medina and I am a leave no site unvisited type of person! Very thoughtful spot. Thanks.

Room Tip: Room 3 with the bay window is very charming. It also has a huge bathtub, the only concern is it is p...
Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2Freeze
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Dropping into Marrakech for a one night break might be foolish.
Leaving at 4am for the early 3 hour flight from Gatwick felt foolish.
A packed plane, seated next to the rear toilet, with a constant stream of people and attendants
trollies nudging me didn’t help my feeling of hopelessness.

The Atlas mountains were a turning point, the majestic snow covered slopes looked stunning,
the endless lines of immaculate fruit trees followed bathed in winter sun looked idyllic, the transit through the airport was faster than expected. Maison MK had arranged for me, as they do for all their guests to be met on arrival.

My work over the years has taken me to many countries round the world, the first taxi ride in many of those countries still fills me with dread.
The Marrakech taxi ride was delightful, the driver was a very funny guy, with a boundless interest and enthusiasm for life, in only ten minutes I found myself at the walls of the medina, then guided for the short walk into the bustling alleyways, arriving at the unassuming doorway which hides what is the enchanting and astonishing riad, Maison MK.

On entering Maison MK it seemed my heart beat slowed and the effects of the journey to Marrakech instantly abated….. then a simple yet perfect glass of orange juice offered as if it were an oxygen replacement, my journey was over ….. a member of staff who, with the pride of a new father showed me around this very special riad. The staff are delightfully polite, invisible, yet aware of the needs of their guests.

Relaxing on the roof terrace, with its views looking across Marrakech to the mountains, I started to notice tiny detail, fastidious attention has been lavished on ever part of this experience, cups, glasses, towels, bed linen, lights, stunning architectural features….. so many details all perfectly chosen and applied.

Food was ever present, beautifully conceived and presented and again served with a modest pride.
Treatments were offered and I must say enjoyed.

A short evening walk as the sun was setting to La Place (D’jemmaa-el-Fna) through the labyrinth crowded alleys and souks finally emerging into the square where thousands of sellers in everything from teeth to scorpions ply their trade,
The rising smoke and stunning aromas from the hundreds of food sellers made me realise how tranquil Maison MK is.

A truly delicious breakfast in February taken on a rooftop in Marrakech with the calling to prayer and views of the mountains was spectacular.

Black olive soap, applied in an incredibly hot environment, seemed like the obvious thing to do next, the Moroccan Hamam, a wash, abrasive rub, bath, sugar rub, massage … oh it was so good.
Moving to another therapy room to enjoy a calming full body massage.

Finally. Tea, again on the roof terrace before my return to England.

Albeit short, my stay at Maison MK was without any doubt perfect, every aspect of the building and service provided by the delightful staff of this riad has been considered by it’s owners and is applied naturally, to make their guests feel comfortable and welcome.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Me and my girlfriend went to Morocco to visit a couple of cities such as Casablanca, El Jadida (recommended!), Essaouira and Marrakech in mid February. We stayed in quite a few hotels and Riads during our trip, we didn't book everything in advance. We had booked 3 nights at the MaisonMK in Marrakech and were very glad to have done so.

The traditional riad MaisonMK is close to the edge of the medina and easily accessible from a major street nearby. The riad is surrounded by activities day & night. We had already seen quite a few markets in Morocco but the Marrakech market & medina is massive! The MaisonMK feels like a secret escape in this large city. When we arrived there was calm music playing and we could hear the water flowing from the (small) swimming pool.

The double room we were in had a rain shower and comfy bath. The bed was very fit for tall people and had a choice of two pillows (one harder than the other). We included the evening pamper in our booking. Which included the massage, hamman and dinner for two at the GastroMK. We had a great time, breakfast on the roof is really comfy and with a good variety of food.

The hotel is definitely one of the major highlights of our trip! I recommend staying there! It was a wonderful valentines day getaway for us.

Room Tip: Pick the room with the bath tub if you can :)
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank atpdj
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed here in December in the heart of the dusty old medina of Marrakesh. We chose it for the luxury, the rave reviews about its service, and to be assured of good food within the hotel, something extremely important to us. It did not disappoint at all.
We thought we would call it the ‘jewel in the crown of Marrakesh’ first, but then we thought it a hidden gem rather than a jewel as we felt we stumbled onto something precious that not everyone knows about . It is not fussy or over-polished but it feels like a paradise when you enter from the old streets of the medina.
It has a charm and authenticity about it that comes from the wonderful design (we found lots of luxurious nooks and crannies to just relax in) but also from the staff and the way they made us feel so welcome. Maison MK offers so much that its hard to get an ideal of the scale of the place before you go. It has a restaurant (small but like fine dining for dinner) , and a spa (tiny, but amazing massage). Its all done in quite a quirky home from home rather than a formal hotel way.
The true marker for a great place is how they deal with problems, and we could see the owner is very involved from the tripadvisor responses. We did have a problem with the hot water in our room when we were there, but it was all sorted for us and the manager Hanane was very professional and hands on in the way she dealt with it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have stayed in many riads and hotels in marrakech over the last 15 years. The decor is a little too modern for my taste, however the service at MK is amazing! The rooms are extremely comfortable with wonderful accessories e.g. free local cell phone, iPod, bathrobe, shopping bag. The bed linens and bathroom fixtures are excellent. The food in the restaurant was a wonderful surprise. I didn't realize they had such fine cuisine in such a small hotel. If you want great service and to be very comfortable stay at MK. The large roof terrace is fabulous and has wonderful views of Marrakech!
I will stay there again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and quiet, however, if you spend the extra money suite number 1 the best and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends