“Great hidden find”

Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Not the place to go for authentic morrocan food, but a fantastic menu with tasty interesting choices. Staff were ridiculously friendly and helpful. Great wee spot to rest from the madness of the medina

Write a ReviewReviews (2,697)

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our company of 4, including my British wife and an Oxford-educated Moroccan resident, ate here solely due to the great Trip Advisor reviews. My wife has been excoriating my choice (we ate here nearly a year ago--it's just taken that long to summon the initiative to review) ever since. The menu is ghastly--I recall it as an attempt to westernize Moroccan fare to the max--in fact, even to make it conform to British standards. And if you'll concede that England has some of the worst food in the world, then the Clock Tower fits right into the mold.

It does have a nice atmosphere, granted. We ate on the rooftop on a lovely night. The restaurant was crowded with westerners who seemed not to want to be in Morocco, but somewhere more familiar, an atmosphere which this restaurant has apparently successfully created to its financial benefit.

My wife carefully searched the menu for items she thought possibly healthy--despite the dearth of choices she came up with a lamb burger, which she found inedible. It sat on her plate. She tried several alternatives. She found none digestible, and came away hungry. As for myself, I found something I was able to at least partially eat, but left at least half of it for the buzzards. If you're looking for a place with a 90% or better western clientele, you may be happy here. We were not. Perhaps the biggest dining disaster of two weeks in Morocco.

maiky50, Owner at Cafe Clock, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Hi - Thanks for taking the time to review our restaurant. It is a shame it took a year however.
It seems you really hated the Cafe and I am unsure how to properly respond as some of the review is a full attack bordering on personal.
However it is important to note that Cafe Clock is an inclusive enviroment which is not interested in purely serving tourists. Depending on the time of day you will always see large numbers of locals enjoying the delicious drinks and live music. We are probably the only Cafe in town which actively encourages travellers and locals to mix.
It is strange that your wife opted for a Lamb Burger when she was looking for healthy options when we have the Moroccan Tapas plate, Harira and Vegetarian Pastilla - all of which are much healthier options - and fully moroccan dishes. Anyway I am sorry she didnt enjoy it.....I am sure that when you spoke to the waiter they would have quickly changed the dish or otherwise not charged for it. This however you have failed to mention.
We are delighted you enjoyed the atmosphere and it is a pity you were not able to have a good time.
Regards, Mike

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Excellent spot for live music on Sundays, travelers meet locals vibe and wonderful labyrinth of rooms and terraces. Delicious pancakes!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Delicious food and wonderful staff. We ate here 2 nights in a row just because the first meal was so pleasant!
Between the 2 of us we ate: couscous with roasted chicken with carmelized onion and raisins. Perhaps the best couscous I've eaten in my 3 weeks in Morocco, indeed, anywhere.
Camel burger: tender but slightly gamey.
Lamb burger: delicious with a mint sauce
yogourt with muesli and fruit: always a favourite of mine although nothing particularly distinct about this one
lemon tart: fabulous zingey lemon tart
fig tart with orange cream: good but not as yummy as lemon tart

Staff were wonderful. Pleasant, friendly, great memory. Generally, lovely meals and nice place to relax in the evening after walking all day. I even bought one of the Clockrocks CDs so I can listen to the music at home!

They also have a cooking school and various cultural learning opportunities.

1  Thank globalgal88
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We went here for lunch and had a fabulous time. The staff are lovely and really helpful. I had the goats cheese and aubergine quiche which was delicious and my boyfriend had the camel burger. I wasn't brave enough to try this but he said it tasted very good. It's also worth trying the mint ice tea as this was the nicest drink I've tried in a while! A visit to Cafe Clock is a must if in Fez!