“An OK hotel, but definitely a rip-off”
Review of Hotel Perla

Hotel Perla
Ranked #66 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This hotel is nothing special, but works as a place to stay in a pinch. My main complaint is with the fact that we were told the simple (cheaper) rooms were booked up, when we were clearly the only people in the hotel. We had to pay extra because of this, and then were also charged more money for "tax" (which is actually included in the original price, like everywhere else in Morocco). On top of all this, the man at reception only accepted cash, claiming the credit machine "didn't work", although we saw him pressing the "cancel" button before showing us the message saying "transaction abandoned". I cannot overstate how frustrating my interaction with this man was. Oh well - at least they had decent wi-fi?

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Perla

Reviewed January 23, 2013

On the whole, this is a very good hotel. It is tiled and clean throughout, my room was very comfortable, everything worked, (apart from the tv, which didn´t bother me). It had a good shower, a good firm bed with clean cotton sheets.
The day and evening reception staff were cheerful, friendly and helpful.
At 340 Dirham a night, (30.5 Euros), it´s a good budget option.

The hotel is a short suitcase trundle from the train station, but it is not close to the Medina. There are lots of taxis waiting outside the train station which will take you there, or it is a 30 minute walk from the hotel. I walked there and back twice during my visit. It is not strenuous.

If you turn right out of the hotel, then right again to go up the hill, there are a variety of restaurants/cafes available. Some have menus with an English translation, but take a French dictionary for a wider choice.

On the subject of food, I braved the breakfast at the hotel. This consisted of two pieces of not-fresh bread, a cold and not-fresh croissant, and a shiny cake-thing I didn´t bother with. This feast was acccompanied by jam, butter, a foil-wrapped triangle of tasteless soft cheese, a glass of cheap orange juice and a cup of cheap lukewarm coffee. The breakfast was not included in the price of the room, and cost 42 Dirham, (3.75 Euros). While not extortionate, I should have gone to one of the many cafes in the area serving breakfast.
Just as I was about to tuck in to my breakfast, the night receptionist, still on duty, let out a thunderous echoing belch, which reverberated up to the dining area. Maybe it was his way of saying, ´Bon apetit!´.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The best thing about the hotel is that it is only a 5 minute walk from the train station.

I received breakfast with my room rate. I believe some rates do not include breakfast. Breakfast was OK, and for the price I do not have any complaints.

I was not able to get my tv to work.

Rooms are small, but comfortable.

Room Tip: WiFi only works in the lobby.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank zip98221
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I wouldnt have chosen this hotel myself had i the choice. I was put up here by the organisers of a conference i was visitng... it is walking distance from the main train station... and is in the newer part of Fez, with local stores and cafes around. However a 10 minute walk can take you to the Boulevard Hasan II which is an exciting place in the evenings.

But it is very far from the medina and the older parts of fes...

The best thing about this hotel were the staff members, Othman at the reception and Emad who served us the meals, where excellent hosts.

Had a great time at Hotel Perla.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located to the train station and several attractions can be reached in 10/15 minute walk, like the Royal Palace and the Mellah where you can visit the synagogue and the jewish cemetery. Across from the hotel there is a grocery store where you can buy refreshments and beer or sodas. Several restaurants are close to the hotel. The hotel staff was nice and they helped us to contact a guide to visit the Medina. Our room was comfortable and clean and we had hot water all day. Breakfast was generous and good.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Raphisdogs
Reviewed September 16, 2011

When we came in late at night, the receptionist wanted 444 dirham for the room.LUCKILY we wanted to pay by visa and had to wait until the next day to pay since the price was only 420... It became obvious why he wanted us to pay cash
When we went for our luggage in the car he called a 'watchman' to check if our car was parked on a good spot... obviously he wanted some money for it (and no we didn't gave any for such a lauzy help... In Europe we learn to park our car ourselves...).

We were handed the key of a room. when we entered the bed was slept on and there was a dirty plateau with diner leftovers on it. when we went back down we got an other room with a smaller bathroom and a crack in the sink. he later called to our room to tell us to bring the key down of the dirty room instead of coming to get it himself...

Overall a very bad impression abduction only stayed here as a necessity...

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank E-static
Reviewed May 9, 2011

What do you want" Clean, affordable, next to Train Station and a Taxi fare from there to the old Medina is just MAD10.
Can't get a coffee until 6am though and service is .... well 'local' levels of expectation so no probs really.

• Stayed: May 2011