“Outstanding Dining Experience in Fes”
Review of Dar Anebar

Dar Anebar
Ranked #46 of 99 Hotels in Fes
Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Dining Experience in Fes”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We were staying elsewhere, but when we asked out guide for a restaurant recommendation he booked Dar Anebar for us. The owner, Ahmed Azami, who was a charming host, collected us from our riad and transported us back at the end of what was a fabulous meal. The food, service and ambiance were all excellent, and we also had the opportunity to view one of the suites at the dar which was both spacious and beautifully appointed. We would definitely recommend Dar Anebar for dinner, and would be very happy to consider staying there if we return to Fes.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I work in the hospitality business, so in my line of work it's all about providing an unforgettable experience. Dar Anebar and owner, Ahmed Azami, far exceeded all expectations. We stayed at Le Riad Fès and Dar Anebar was recommended. It was not in walking distance, so the hotel relayed that Dar Anebar would send someone to pick-us up. We did not realize that it would be the owner himself. A kind, gracious and Fes native who was filled with knowledge and passion for the city we were set to explore.

The meal, ambiance, service – outstanding. Truly the perfect recipe for a wonderful end the holiday. Highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Petach Tikva, Israel
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We came to be at Dar Anebar, since the adjacent Riad Tafilalet was fully booked, apparently there is some kind of cooperation between them.
The restaurant and reception are on one side of the alley, the suites right across.
We got two doubles with an open sitting area between them. I guess that when the other rooms are occupied this is a communal area, but we had it all to ourselves.
The decor is very beautiful and impressive, the only thing that bothered us what that there was no door or even a curtain to separate the bathroom from the bedroom and thus there was no privacy. In one room the open shower was right in front of the door, in the other a person on the toilet would be exposed. A member of our group protested against this and, since the other rooms were empty, got a separate room for herself.
We didn't have a key to our annex, but there was constantly staff hanging out in the alley or to be summoned by ringing the bell. The staff was very friendly and made us feel very, very welcome. When remarking on the wonderful smell of the orange blooms, they arranged for a bottle to be bought and delivered for us. They also recommended a nearby restaurant - which was absolutely wonderful and an experience in its own right.
Thanks for making us feel so comfortable !

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Orly-Z
London
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Do not hesitate to book this beautiful Riad. Super staff, friendly and helpful. Would thoroughly recommend this Riad and look forward to returning again one day.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BlakiesLondon
Chicago
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I booked the small annex room twice this past month, since I was traveling throughout the region and wanted to have a nice place to relax in the medina while I was in Fez. As an expat living in Morocco, I had stayed at a number of other Riads in the medina (including several that are significantly more expensive), but the truth is that Dar Anebar is by far the best place I know of in Fes el-Bali.

Here's just a small sampling of the reasons for why I rate Dar Anebar 5 stars (and would gladly have given them many more stars if I could):

1) Location: Dar Anebar is located in a lovely, quite neighborhood, but is also just minutes away from Bab Guissa (one of the main entrances to the medina). From there, I usually grab a petit taxi and have them take me around to Bab Boujloud -- the ride costs me 5-6 dirhams (eg .50 euro cents), and takes less than 3 minutes. However, if you're up for a nice walk through the medina, you could always walk around from Dar Anebar to Bab Boujloud and enjoy the beautiful scenery and exciting open market. Either way, you can't find a better situated riad than Dar Anebar.

2) The beautiful interior and design: I stayed in the Annex, which is located just across from the main Dar Anebar. I knew that the original Dar Anebar was stunningly beautiful, since I had dinner there a few weeks ago and was blown away with how striking the interior was, but I had no idea that the Annex would be equally beautiful. To my very pleasant surprise, the Annex was every bit as graceful, elegant, tasteful, and warm as the original Dar Anebar.

Moreover, since the Annex was built only recently, I found that it had amenities that are typically quite rare to find in the medina. These included: air-conditioning, warm shower, french toilets, free wifi, very comfy bed with crisp white linens, private rooms, sound insulation, good lighting, and spacious courtyard.

3) The price: At the time that I booked (which was during the off-season), I paid 65euros per night for the small double room in the Annex. Considering how great the amenities, location, and design of the annex were, this was a truly excellent bargain. A comparable double room in some of the slightly better-known riads in the medina would typically cost 40-70 euros more than what you pay at Dar Anebar. In this sense, the annex is a great bargain!

4) Amazing Staff: From the moment I arrived to the moment I left, the staff at Dar Anebar was gracious, helpful, and efficient. As soon as I arrived at the entryway of Bab Guissa, one of the staffers was there to meet me and help me carry my luggage to the Dar. Upon arriving, I was served a lovely pot of moroccan mint tea and allowed to lounge comfortably in the courtyard until I was ready to get to my room.

Even more importantly, the staff never tried to force anything on me in terms of hiring a guide or booking a tour or anything like that. For those who know Morocco, you probably know that almost every Riad tries to get you to use all sorts of "extra" services, from hiring their driver for airport runs to letting them arrange your tour. In most places, I'm always annoyed that I have to constantly explain that I don't want to buy their overpriced "extras." But at Dar Anebar, this has never been a problem. Of course, if you wish, you can ask them to arrange a tour and I'm sure they would gladly make this happen for you. But if you don't want to do this kind of thing, they will never make you feel forced to do anything you don't want. I really appreciate the respect they show their clients.

In sum, I really think that Dar Anebar is the best riad in the medina of Fes el-Bali. I've stayed at quite a number of other riads, but at the end of the day I can't think of any that are better than Dar Anebar.

As a side note, if you want to splurge, treat yourself to dinner at Dar Anebar. The dinners there are a culinary delight. Unfortunately, at 50euros per person the dinner can be a bit expensive. However, if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2011

This 'riyad' is ideally located, within the old city. So you have to approach in foot (or by donkey!) but it's not far from the road around the old city walls. As with all traditional Moroccan houses the outside is blank and unappealing, but once inside you find rooms around a tranquil courtyard garden with beuatiful Moroccan decoration and a very high standard of service. In this modern world it was also a delight to find that the mint tea and Moroccan pastries which always greeted us on our return were completely free - that's what Moroccan hospitality is like! The food was excellent - we noted a party of Americans from a nearby modern hotel just having dinner one evening and going away very happy.
Be warned - exploring the old part of Fez alone is an absolute guanrantee that you will get lost, but Dar Anebar provided a guide who was arguably the best we have ever used - ask for Mohammed Bouftila, tel +212 661 256 291, momobouftila01@hotmail.com .
We usually use 5-star hotels and were surprised when our agent recommended this. But she was absolutely right.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Our welcome was one of the warmest and friendliest that we have ever had anywhere. This standard of service never wavered throughout our stay. All the staff are charming, friendly and cheerful, and nothing is too much trouble.

Our room was very large, and beautifully decorated and furnished in the traditional Moroccan style. Everything we needed was available.

The cuisine is traditional Morroccan, beautifully cooked and served in a traditional dining room with style and great attention to detail. The cheerful ladies in the kitchen were delighted to explain their Moroccan recipes.

The riad itself is very interesting, and the decor, again traditional, has been carried out with taste and flair. Although a little difficult to find at first, the riad is right in the medina, and very soon the Moroccan culture seduces you, and envelopes you.

Shukran, Ahmed, Mustafa, and Aziz: we had a wonderful time staying with you at Dar Anebar.

Roger and Judy