“most beautiful ryad I've ever seen”

Riad Laaroussa Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 101 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed November 20, 2009

I didn't stay at this hotel, I only had cookinglessons there and diner. I had already booked and paid hotel before going to Ryad Laaroussa for diner, if I had been there before, I would certainly have booked a room there.

Cookinglessons started at 11 o'clock in the morning. Together with Samira, the cook, we went shopping in the souk. Back at the riad we had some tea in the patio and then started the cookinglessons. I stayed in the kitchen untill 19 o'clock, didn't want to miss anything. Then I had diner in the diningroom. Diner consisted of 3 salades, chickentajine and cake. Diner and cookinglessons only for 25 euro, very cheap. Soft drinks are rather expensive, 3 euro for a coke.

I would like to thank (again) Samira and Fatima (the 2 cooks) for there friendly welcome, for all the recipes (I will try some next week), and the delicious food. It was really cosy there with them at the kitchentable. Fatima was really funny in a cute way and very caring, real mother figure. Samira invited me the next day for a delicious couscous at her home and took me out for shopping at the souk.

I only booked cookinglessons and diner but got much more, a whole experience.

Next time I'm in Fez, probably in a cupple of months, I will certainly stay at Riad Laaroussa. Inshallah.

Saïda

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,232)

Reviewed November 18, 2009

We truly enjoyed our stay at this Riad. One of the best among other places
we stayed in Morocco trip. On my next trip, I would though try to select rooms on ground floor as rooms on top floor. The staff is very friendly. cook is fabulous.
Hemant

Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2009

This was one of the best experience we ever had in a hotel. The service, the location, the food, the room everything was perfect. I would gladly recommend Riad Laaroussa to anyone visiting Fes.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2009

I've had the good fortune to travel to Fez many times over the past three years, and each time, I celebrate with a return to Riad Larroussa. The moment you enter the Riad from the narrow, crowded pathways of the Medina, your body relaxes and you feel your cares drop away. The Riad itself is magnificent, with more than its share of the lovely tiles, woodwork, and architectural splendor for which Morocco is famous, but more importantly, the staff make you feel at home from the moment you arrive. They have a soft spoken and unassuming way of making sure you're always comfortable. The food is absolutely delicious, prepared with loving care by Samira and Fathma. I highly recommend spending a day going to the market with Samira, taking a cooking lesson and enjoying the dinner that you've helped prepare. And make sure to enjoy the hammam and drinks or tea on the rooftop terrace. The staff can also set you up with guides, steer you to the right shops, recommend excursions -- in short, they're there to please you. It's easy to spend four or five days (or longer) wandering in the Medina or exploring the environs of Fez, with Laaroussa as your base. Do yourself a favor, stay at Riad Larroussa -- I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2009

From an alleyway in the Medina, through a plain wooden door into the most surprisingly beautiful building - what an introduction to Fes. Carefully restored, the Riad Fes is a haven of elegance and comfort in the heart of all the bustling activity of the Medina. We were a party of 4 and had 2 spacious and comfortable rooms with adjoining sitting room. We were greeted with mint tea on the roof terrace with its magnificent views. There we could also take breakfast or in one of the areas around the internal courtyard - birds singing , fountain splashing. However probably the greatest asset of the Riad is the staff who were without exception friendly. efficient and helpful. We were able to shop for the evening meal with Samira the cook (we could have helped prepare it had we wished) and were provided by Fred the owner with a first class guide who was with us for a full day showing us all he could of his native, absolutely fascinating city.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We travelled as family (two adults and four children - including one infant (15 months)).

The weather was stunning - which always helps - but being able to just sit up on the large roof terrace after breakfast soaking up the warmth in the shade, looking over Fes and to the hills beyond was absolutely wonderful. Dinner (optional) was always agreed in advance and was accommodating to include one vegetarian and the children. Even the table placing was subtly done such that we did not inconvenience other diners nor did we feel on-edge all the time.

The overriding aspect has to be the level of service from the staff - and the owner - who clearly all act as a team and take personal pride in 'their' Riad.

The Riad itself is the true example of a hidden oasis - a calm from the frenzy of the medina behind an innocuous door.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank DinFrance
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Had it not been for the allure of magical Fez on my doorstep I could have spent the entire 5 days inside Riad Laaroussa. The Riad is beatifully restored, with great attention to detail; the rooms are spacious and luxurious; the garden surprisingly green and beautiful; the atmosphere tranquil and serene. The staff are not only friendly and attentive, but genuinely engaged and caring, and added a very personal dimension to my stay. Highlights included the full moon rising over Fez veiwed from the beautiful roof terrace, the morning light shining through the stained glass windows in my room, and the very atmospheric hamam. I would most definitely stay with the wonderful team at Riad Laaroussa again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo