“Outstanding Service and Hotel!”

Riad Laaroussa Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed July 16, 2014

To the Owners and Staff:

We stayed 7 nights at Riad Laaroussa, and we would like to express our extreme gratitude to your outstanding staff. Riad Laaroussa is beautiful and tranquil but your staff makes it special. They make the difference!! Their genuine generosity and care is second to none.

My husband and I have travelled extensively and stayed in amazing places all over the world, and yet, we have never experienced the level of professionalism and warmth as the one offered by the lovely workers of Riad Laaroussa. They truly treated us like family.

From the moment we arrived to the time of our departure everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. Your staff works very hard to ensure that the guests are happy and comfortable.

Delicious food!!

Thank you for making our stay wonderful, and we will definitely visit again!

Warm regards,
Paula

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent? Upstairs rooms are more private.
There are newer reviews for Riad Laaroussa Hotel and Spa

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed two nights in the Cream Room at Laaroussa. We were warmly welcomed by the staff through the outwardly plain door into a cool, calm oasis. The contrast between the inside of this Riad and the hot hassled streets outside was dramatic. The Riad is located inside the old city or Medina, which is a chaotic warren of narrow and endless alleyways which are both challenging and intriguing. A must to experience. The Laaroussa has been impeccably and luxuriously renovated and it is easy to feel Sultan like within its opulence. The staff were always pleasant and helpful. I must mention especially FZ who went to valued lengths to make my birthday special and provided us with breakfast at 6am before our enforced early start. FZ's genuine warmth and assistance was appreciated by the four members of my party. Great location, just step outside the gate for all the action of the old market place that you could want.

Room Tip: We had the cream room which was upstairs, private and large.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2014

From the moment we arrived to the time for our departure absolutely everyone was helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. It's almost impossible to find words to describe how amazing the service was. We have stayed in many luxury hotels over the years and none come close.

Kathy & Fred the owners are often around and happy to chat about how they came to live in Fez and develop the Riad, Fred showed us a number of the rooms explaining his designs for each room and explaining some of the challenges they encounter such as the plumbing and how you make a kettle into taps! The building is beautiful and sensitively refurbished and provides a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere in the centre of the bustling Medina

If you have the time to spare a morning spent in the kitchen with the cook, Fatima, is well worth it. Then to eat the food in the evening is a bonus, I would do it again but next time take a note book so I can try and attempt some of the dishes at home.

We ate at Laaroussa 3 out of the 4 evenings and each meal was superb as were the breakfasts.

We treated ourselves to the full works in the spa and can highly recommend especially after a day exploring the medina.

Will definitely visit again

Room Tip: Our room was the Green suite which we loved but having seen a number of the others we would have bee...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I thought I was in paradise when we walked into this Riad. It is magnificent. The building itself has so much beauty and is set within the walls of the Medina. It is so very peaceful and we wished we could have stayed on as it was so very relaxing. The staff are incredible, the owner needs to hear this, they work very hard to ensure that the guests are comfortable, everyone on of them. The food was so beautiful, fresh are delicious. If I come but to Morocco, Fes and Riad Laaroussa is where we will be coming.

Thank you, for making our stay so very wonderful..

1  Thank nina b
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Yes, the place is attractive visually and an escape from the dinginess and rough smells of the old parts of FEZ.

I assume it's because I have lived in California to long as the first thing I noticed was the hotel or Riad was definitely a fire trap. Electric switch plates torn out of the wall and taped together hanging by a thread, Candles lit in tender box rooms, staircases that reminded me on an Escher drawing..and definitely unsafe even in the smallest of emergency situations. (If you are "large" or not in shape…this is definitely not the Riad for you..) My marathon training came in handy here.

The room was not clean, the bathroom was decorated beautifully but was not clean, the top sheets on the bed seemed to have plaster, from the ceiling perhaps? on them, etc. I was only there 2 nights…any longer and I would have complained.

The meals were inconsistent…always lots of food, fresh, home made, etc…but inconsistent in taste and flavor. Rather bland.. Sometimes over cooked, once undercooked.

The staff was extremely amiable and very pleasant. Very friendly and helpful. The staff rates a 5+ by all means. Excellent. (the reason for 3 stars instead of 2) The owners were around at times.
Two older dogs (labs) wander through the courtyards…I am a big dog lover…and we got along famously.

The architecture and interior design is funky and true to the feel of the city…so that was a plus for me as well.

I was really there to shoot photos of the ancient Roman ruins of Volubilis…this is a good reason to spend a day or in Fez. Fez itself…meh!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Henderson
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Riad Laaroussa is amazing! the beautifully restored Riad has 8 rooms, elegantly styled and very spacious with spectacular bathrooms. the roof top terrace and dining area is perfect for a sunset drink and dinner with a view. The Hammam and spa located in the compound is famous across Fes, so make sure to book before you go. Cathy and Fred the owners are a lovely couple who strive to meet every guest wish. Ben and Sam the resident Labradors are beautiful and cheeky for a belly rub. Cathy can organise dinner reservations and guides for the medina.

www.riad-laaroussa.com

Room Tip: The Riad is over a number of floors with lots of stairs, the Green room is a beautiful suite on the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I just had a fabulous stay at Riad Laaroussa. The Riad itself is beautiful and in the heart of the medina. Just as wonderful were the staff and the food! Everyone there took great care of us. I cannot say enough good things about this visit. We also immensely enjoyed Fes, both when we had a guided tour and when we spent our day getting lost in the maze of streets.