“An absolute Gem in the Medina”

Riad Laaroussa Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 98 Hotels in Fes
melbourne
“An absolute Gem in the Medina”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I thought I was in paradise when we walked into this Riad. It is magnificent. The building itself has so much beauty and is set within the walls of the Medina. It is so very peaceful and we wished we could have stayed on as it was so very relaxing. The staff are incredible, the owner needs to hear this, they work very hard to ensure that the guests are comfortable, everyone on of them. The food was so beautiful, fresh are delicious. If I come but to Morocco, Fes and Riad Laaroussa is where we will be coming.

Thank you, for making our stay so very wonderful..

1 Thank nina b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Yes, the place is attractive visually and an escape from the dinginess and rough smells of the old parts of FEZ.

I assume it's because I have lived in California to long as the first thing I noticed was the hotel or Riad was definitely a fire trap. Electric switch plates torn out of the wall and taped together hanging by a thread, Candles lit in tender box rooms, staircases that reminded me on an Escher drawing..and definitely unsafe even in the smallest of emergency situations. (If you are "large" or not in shape…this is definitely not the Riad for you..) My marathon training came in handy here.

The room was not clean, the bathroom was decorated beautifully but was not clean, the top sheets on the bed seemed to have plaster, from the ceiling perhaps? on them, etc. I was only there 2 nights…any longer and I would have complained.

The meals were inconsistent…always lots of food, fresh, home made, etc…but inconsistent in taste and flavor. Rather bland.. Sometimes over cooked, once undercooked.

The staff was extremely amiable and very pleasant. Very friendly and helpful. The staff rates a 5+ by all means. Excellent. (the reason for 3 stars instead of 2) The owners were around at times.
Two older dogs (labs) wander through the courtyards…I am a big dog lover…and we got along famously.

The architecture and interior design is funky and true to the feel of the city…so that was a plus for me as well.

I was really there to shoot photos of the ancient Roman ruins of Volubilis…this is a good reason to spend a day or in Fez. Fez itself…meh!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Henderson
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Riad Laaroussa is amazing! the beautifully restored Riad has 8 rooms, elegantly styled and very spacious with spectacular bathrooms. the roof top terrace and dining area is perfect for a sunset drink and dinner with a view. The Hammam and spa located in the compound is famous across Fes, so make sure to book before you go. Cathy and Fred the owners are a lovely couple who strive to meet every guest wish. Ben and Sam the resident Labradors are beautiful and cheeky for a belly rub. Cathy can organise dinner reservations and guides for the medina.

www.riad-laaroussa.com

Room Tip: The Riad is over a number of floors with lots of stairs, the Green room is a beautiful suite on the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I just had a fabulous stay at Riad Laaroussa. The Riad itself is beautiful and in the heart of the medina. Just as wonderful were the staff and the food! Everyone there took great care of us. I cannot say enough good things about this visit. We also immensely enjoyed Fes, both when we had a guided tour and when we spent our day getting lost in the maze of streets.

MESA
Reviewed June 11, 2014

After traveling through 60 countries, I finally found a hotel deserving of at least SIX STARS, or more!! I believe that service is the most important function of the hotel industry, and Riad Laaroussa goes so far above and beyond in that area, it puts many hotels to shame. After being upgraded upon arrival to a suite so huge and beautiful, I thought this was going to be a fantastic trip. Then, on day two, I was bedridden with a bug I had picked up earlier in Morocco. The staff at the Riad Laaroussa took me under their wing, providing medicine, specially made food delivered to the door, and other comfort items. They even watched over my wife, making sure her vacation was exceptional during this bump in the road. A big THANK YOU to Cathy and Fred (Owners) and Kareem (General Manager) and ALL THE STAFF! Your hospitality was simply beyond belief, and my wife and I felt that we departed your property as friends, not customers! For anyone looking into a hotel in Fes, staying at the Riad Laaroussa is an ABSOLUTE MUST!

1 Thank THOMAS H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Riad Laaroussa for a week recently and we would highly recommend it.

The Riad is lovely and the owners and staff are wonderful! They checked on us regularly to see if they could do anything for us and were not at all intrusive. Their warmth was amazing and by the end of the week I felt I was leaving good friends.

On the more practical aspects, the food was excellent! Some of the best I have had on my various trips to Morocco, the hamman and massage are also well worth a go, the staff were always on hand to organize guides for us, or to recommend places to go to, and the rooms are very comfortable and full of character and charm.

I would highly recommend this Riad based purely on the practical aspects but what really makes it stand out for me is the genuine kindness, generosity and friendliness of the staff.

I have to say a special thank you to Badiae who did so much for me, shared her stories with me and cooked us our delicious last lunch. But also to Fz and Karim who also looked after us so, so well.

Overall, thanks to everyone at Riad Laaroussa, our stay was lovely!

Thank you!

Room Tip: Room tip - we stayed in the yellow room which is cheaper than the larger rooms but still very comfor...
1 Thank cberti
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our holiday in Morocco and had such a lovely stay we didn't want to leave! After arriving from a long journey by car, stepping into the riad and its garden was exactly what we needed. The team greeted us with mint tea and biscuits and then explained all the features of the riad and the key sights on a map of the medina. We had booked the 3 course Moroccan dinner on our first night which was absolutely delicious. Some of the other guests had visited the market that morning with the riad's chefs and helped in preparing the meal - if we had been in Fes longer, we would have loved to do this; what a fantastic and unique experience to offer guests. Rooms here are beautifully appointed and designed; we stayed in the Red Room on the first floor which was perfect. The whole team at Riad Laaroussa were amazing. We have travelled to many places and have never met a group of people as friendly, warm and hospitable as this. Nothing is too much trouble and they truly treat their guests as part of the family. A special mention to FZ - her smile is infectious and she really looked after us during our stay. I can also highly recommend the hamman and massage treatments at the riad - it was such a traditional experience here compared to what we were offered in Marrakech and we walked out with soft skin, feeling amazingly relaxed ready to face the hustle and bustle of the medina again! The tour guide which the riad booked for us for a full day was also excellent - he took us to see the culture and history of the city, rather than the shops which we really appreciated. Thank you to the Riad Laaroussa team for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Red Room is excellent. Spacious with separate bathroom (shower but no bath) and plenty of light duri...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple