“We loved this place”
Review of Dar El Hana

Dar El Hana
Ranked #65 of 221 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Fez was absolutely the highlight of our Moroccan tour and this place was the cherry on top. Josephine was the host you long for after 6 months on the road. She was very welcoming, assisted with airport pickups and locating this gem riad in the ancient medina. The rooms were very comfortable and breakfast was plentiful....the local dishes were superb. She provided maps, tips and generally was great company. I would recommend staying here and would definitely return one day (I hope!). Suitable for families, couples or solo travellers.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 4, 2011

Very nice riad in which my wife and me stayed for 2 nights. Our room was Hibiscus - nice though some painting of the walls could improve the overall impression. We did not like the fact that the toillet is separated - of which we were not told before. The bed was perfect. Also the room was bit noisy as it is actually placed directly over the street. The staff was friendly - Ben is the one who helped a lot, notably by spending almost an hour explaining what to see and visit. The taxi for return was a bit overpriced, and in spite of several times asking and getting a positive reply did not include the transfer of the luggage which had to be paid separately. Not a big deal in terms of money, but just makes bad feeling.

Room Tip: Try to avoid Hibiscus
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
mochachic, Owner at Dar El Hana, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2011

Thankyou for this review, and for choosing Dar El Hana. I acknowledge your comment regarding the noises which can be heard from your room. The amazing reality of staying in a riad or Guesthouse right in the Medina is that you have the opportunity to witness "life" as it is in this labyrinth of streets and high density living....and you go home to the quiet and solitude of suburban living, perhaps realising that medina life is not for you; you have, however, experienced it! and when there is a Wedding...the music goes on until 5am! Luckily for us - more local Moroccans celebrate during the evening rather that all night. Josephine

Reviewed April 1, 2011

We have stayed at Dar El Hana at least once a year for the past five years introducing friends and family to Fes. Since our first trip we have always enjoyed our time in Fes and consider our talks with Josephine as one of the highlights of our trip. We have enjoyed getting to know her son, Anthony, on this last trip (Josephine is now taking a much needed rest with her grandchild). Anthony did a wonderful job in setting up guides for our party and a driver for 5 days around Morocco. Our guests have said that this introduction to Morocco through Fes as excellent.

The Dar itself is centrally located in the medina. The showers (as I mentioned in another post) are the best in Morocco. The rooms were very clean and very comfortable. We again ordered an evening meal and were well fed with local fare (cauliflower and chicken tagine).

As we leave Morocco, we will miss our yearly trips to Fes and Dar El Hana.

Room Tip: There is only one en suite room.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Cordes72
Reviewed March 8, 2011

The Manager and staff of Dar El Hana and the guides they organised for us made our stay in Fes from the moment of booking until getting on the plane to depart Morocco. There was attention to detail (comfort, room maintenance, assistance with travel plans) and to well being (the staff were attentive and the food fantastic). If you stay and want a guide to show you Fes - ask for Hakim - his knowledge and love of Fes made his tours and narrative informative and interesting - his advice is sound and he is a lovely man.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed March 3, 2011

I got a recommendation for Dar El Hana from a friend of a friend, who said that this Dar made their trip in Fes, so we had to stay there if we went. First I will say that I did enjoy my stay, and would definitely stay there again whenever I return to Fes. The staff was really nice and very hospitable, the breakfast was good, and they arranged everything we asked, even if it was last minute. The place was very clean, nicely decorated, and very charming. But there were several things that did not meet my expectations based on other TripAdvisor reviews and the praise this place got from those who recommended it to us. As I said I'd totally stay here again, and I would certainly recommend it to others, but I've got to give the place a fair an honest review based upon my stay.

First the good things:

They got us a wonderful guide who showed us around Fes. The day we spent with our guide was certainly my favorite of my 3 days in Fes.

Apparently the person cooking dinners at the Dar recently decided not to do so any more, so they arranged a nice meal for us elsewhere. It was very good and reasonably priced.

We arranged a tour at the last minute and they made it happen for us. This was very nice.

Ben was able to give us proper directions on what to do for the Hammam, which helped us greatly because I would have been lost and I probably wouldn't have brought my own shampoo and soap.

Now the things that did not meet my expectations:

The first thing I will mention is that there was not a 24 hour presence in the Dar. I haven't spent too much time in B&B style accommodations but in all of the others I've been to, there's been some staff on hand in the house. Ben, the day manager, was very nice. But he had breaks during the day, and when he was gone, nobody came to take his place. The other people staying there at the same time as us also found it odd. On my second afternoon, we got back from our guided tour and I had some questions. Nobody was there. So I found a phone and attempted to call Anthony. 10 mins later Ben arrived. He had to call Anthony to get my questions answered anyway. On our last day there, it was Ben's day off. So except for the staff who makes breakfast and cleans, nobody else was there. This I did not like. If the day manager has his day off, someone else needs to step in.

A previous reviewer said "Josephine and Anthony are very useful for insider information about shopping, visiting the hammam etc. "

Not once did we meet Josephine. And we literally saw Anthony for all of 15 minutes the entire stay. We saw him in the evening on the day we arrived, and we saw him for 5 minutes the next day. Everything else was arranged over the phone. Therefore I found it difficult to get in contact with them for such "insider information", and I felt there were a few mis-communications.

First, I was looking for something specific while I was there. Neither Anthony, nor Josephine were around to ask, so I ended up not finding what I was looking for. And who knows when I'll be back in Fes or in Morocco. Second, our last-minute tour was arranged over the phone. While overall the tour was nice, I feel as if some information was left out about the tour that would have been good to know. And I would have appreciated it more if someone was there in person where we could have discussed some options in detail, rather than a quick "well we have these tours if you want one" over the phone. Even though we were planning as we went along, I felt the decision was very rushed because there was nobody there we could have discussed options with previously.

My understanding is that Anthony got sick, at least on the last day of our stay, but there was still his wife and Josephine (both of whom are on their business card) who could have been available at the Dar. Especially on Ben's day off.

So my main disappointment is that the owner/manager's hospitality did not live up to expectations. But like I said, everybody was really nice and accommodating, and the staff was very hospitable. I just didn't feel the owners took as much personal interests in their guests as they should have.

Based on the other reviews here, I'm inclined to believe that we just stayed there at a bad time, and this is not the norm for Dar El Hana. But I will not know for sure unless I return to Fes some day.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelEMG

Dear TravelEMG, I thankyou for your very fair review. At the time of your stay, not only was Anthony sick, and also his wife, Lamya and their baby, but I was away in Australia visiting my new grandchildren. To compound this, our maid must have had the day off and therefore no-one was there during the afternoon, while Ben goes home for lunch with his family....certainly not our usual practice to not have a relief maid in the house. Dar El Hana is manned from 0800 to 2000. WE do leave a mobile phone for your use after hours in case of a problem in the house. I am minutes away.
Happily, I am back in Fes and at Dar El Hana, and I make a point of seeing my Guests at least each morning, and often again in the evening for exactly the reasons which have been stated in this review. I am also delighted to say that Fatima is cooking again, and better than ever.
I do apologise for your disappointment - I wish you could come this way again. Josephine

Reviewed January 11, 2011

Anthony, the manager, was fantastic and really made us feel at home. His wife Lamya is an excellent cook who taught us how to cook a variety of delicious Moroccan foods. We enjoyed fes so much we ended up staying and extra night.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2011

This is the second time I've stayed at Dar El Hana and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Josephine, Anthony and all the staff took care of us beautifully. Dar El Hana feels like a home away from home (albeit a very stylish and gorgeous home!). The staff looked after all our needs, as well as giving us lots of space and privacy - it's lovely having your own key to the Dar so you can come and go as you please.

The breakfast is delicious and it's great hanging out on the roof terrace and watching the world of the Medina.

A lot of thought has gone into the decor of each room (I've stayed in both the Hibiscus Room and the Acacia Room) and the renovation of the Dar has been done to a very high standard with a lot of attention to detail.

The location of the Dar is very handy, right in the heart of the Medina, but easy walking distance from the car park.

We had really good experiences with the drivers that Dar El Hana use (for airport transfers and outings) and went on a wonderful day trip to the village of Azrou up in the Middle Atlas mountains on a Tuesday (when they have their weekly market) which was a fantastic, un-touristy experience. We also visited the monkeys in the cedar forest near to Azrou.

My only hesitation in recommending Dar El Hana TOO highly is it might not be available the next time I want to stay there!! :)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends