“warm, very friendly welcoming!!!great riad. highly recommended” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riad Ibn Khaldoun

Riad Ibn Khaldoun
Ranked #37 of 99 Hotels in Fes
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“warm, very friendly welcoming!!!great riad. highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

Bilal, the employee of the riad who dealt with us was very friendly, extremely helpful. He was such a great host!!!!
What an unforgettable hospitality!!! He made us feel at home!! The riad is charming, very beautiful, very clean too!! extremely well located for a visit to the medina!!
Do not hesitate to stay in Riad Ibn Khaldoun as you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mimie71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed five nights at this beautiful riad conveniently located right on the edge of the medina (near the food markets). I was traveling solo and they took very good care of me, arranging a driver from the airport, a female guide (Farida Chaaibi, excellent!) to show me the sights, and even took me to the neighborhood hammam which is something tourists rarely see! Bilale and the rest of the staff speak perfect English and French, and were like family to me by the end of my stay. The food is delicious, make sure to book at least one dinner with them.
I had a suite (even though I booked a single, there were empty rooms since it was low season) with cable TV (at least four movie and TV series channels in English) and a very good heater (in the winter, it may be mild in the daytime, but nights and mornings can be quite chilly in the desert, so bring layers!) I spent a lot of time lounging on the roof-top terrace with a book and mint tea. They'll even bring your breakfast up there to eat in the morning sun.
Be sure to note in advance that there are many stairs in the riad (unless you stay in the ground floor suites and don't ever go to the roof), and that it's normal to hear not only the multiple calls to prayer, but also the neighborhood "sounds" (I counted a donkey, sheep, rooster, the guard dog next door, and a few random scooters). So bring ear plugs if you're a very light sleeper. WiFi works perfectly on the ground floor lounge.
As an aside, I was not bothered too much as a solo female walking around the riad, perhaps because I wore trousers and a black coat and hat, and did not have a camera around my neck and a map. Once in awhile someone would ask if I was looking for something, bu if you ignore them they usually go away immediately.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank parisheather
Shanghai, China (US Expat)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2011

We arrived around 11pm at the Riad after taking a ferry from Tarifa, Spain and then a 5 hour train from Angier to Fes. So we were very please that the two nightes we stayd at Riad Ibn Khaldoun was just was we expect - quiet after all the Chaos that day.

We were greeted with the traditional sugared mint tea. Checkin was efficient and Bahil was very friendly.

The steps are very steep and I was happy that Bahil graciously carried my bag. We stayed on the 2nd floor - my husband and I in the "honeymoon" room and our two teenage children on the opposite side. The kids room had 3 twin size beds and a large bathroom so they were very comfortable.

The second night we had dinner in the Riad and I would definitely recommend the food. It was a fixed menu and we were served bread, soup and lamb followed by desert and fruit. Probably the best meal we had in Morocco.

The power went out for 2 hours unexpectedly on the second night. Given it was December, our rooms were a bit chilly. Bahil brought candles and we watched movies on our iPAD. We made the best of the adventure. A Riad in the dark was actually charming and they managed to have our dinner cooked by the scheduled 9pm timeframe.

Our host came by during the evening to chat and tell us more about the Riad and it's history. He was very charming and we met his daughter as well.

The rooms were very large and comfortable. The only reason I gave a "3" for sleep quality was that our room was too cold probably since the heating / airconditioning unit was at the ceiling (20 feet up). Kids room was much warmer.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank china_mom101
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

Little did we know, when O and I decided to go to Fes, that we would end up in such an amazing riad. Our mouths dropped as soon as we walked in (the exterior is scary by UA standards, but don't worry about it). The place is breathtaking and so is the staff. In particular, you will most likely be greeted by Bilal (the hotel manager who wears several other hats). He is a true gem and a perfect gentleman. He took the greatest care of us as I am sure he does of all his guests. Mr. Khaldoun, as we have come to call him (it's not his real name but it is fitting since he is the boss), is equally amazing. What a surprise to see such commitment to a guest's comfort and happiness! you will love the place.*****

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank markoux
alexandria va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

Don't let the appearance of the alley stop you from going to the Riad Ibn Khaldoun's front door. Once you are inside, you find a comfortable riad, a very helpful and friendly staff, and a mini-museum of Morocco. Mr Lazrak is a great host and guide. Let him guide you through the maze of Fes. He seems to know everyone and he should be the Mayor. The Riad has a fascinating lobby, spacious bedrooms, and a terrific view from the rooftop terrace. The spiral stairs were a challenge for my old legs but the view was worth it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank ritch62
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

In this Riad my dream of 1001 Nights came true. Very beautiful and stylish old building. Very quiet and peaceful, right in the heart of the Old Town. The city of Fes is huge, but the location could not have been better, really everything is within walking distance of this hotel.
My room (Suite Kaftan) was a dream. The bed was great (excellent mattress, variety of pillows for every taste).
I had dinner in this Riad (hotel) twice, both times it was very good, the food excellent, the wine was delicious.
Best part about the Riad: service. It seemed like everybody had nothing else on their mind other than how to make me happy. Bilal organized an amazing fashion show (I still have to smile when I think about it), the owner also organized a great guided tour of the Medina as well as a day tour to the Atlas Mountains where I got a chance to feed 'wild' monkeys which was an amazing experience.
Also important to note: they were always 100% correct with money, everything was fair, all prices as were agreed, everything with a statement, absolutely no unpleasant surprises, you can 100% trust them.

When I left I had to admit: it really did feel like I was staying with friends.Well done, I'll be back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank dtf100
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

unexpected pleasure - riads are a great way to experience spending tiome inside the medinas in morocco, and this placewas great - very gracious owner/host, good food, nice rooms,and well located in the midst of Fes' bustling old city.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple