WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Kairaouan

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fes
Hotel Kairaouan
Ranked #96 of 98 Hotels in Fes
Lecco, Italy
“The dirtiest place on earth”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was absolutely disgusted by this crappy hotel. Seems fine at first, even though I wouldn't define the staff "extra friendly"...a bit too outgoing, I'd rather say, and I'm pretty sure that their beeing extra kind was just taking the piss.
However, the worst thing was the fact that our sheets were filthy: grey (they were supposed to be white...), stained and full of hair. I couldn't sleep there, thank God I had a sleeping bag!
As for the bathroom, it was awful, very old and falling into pieces...
DON'T GO THERE!
p.s. The only positive thing was the heating...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2006

I feel terrible that I am leaving this rating as the staff was just so
friendly and wanted to make things right, but I just didn't have the
heart to tell them that there was no hope. The place was just too far
gone, with too much room for improvement to know where to start. Clearly they were just staff and not owners. The fellow at the front desk just about poured his heart out to us about loving America and wanting to visit, etc. etc. and gave us such a warm welcome.

Sadly the rooms were pretty atrocious, though they were exceptionally large. The hallways were drab with depressing flourescent lighting and dirty walls. The bed linens had various types of hair in it (ugh!) and when we asked to replace the sheets (in French so perhaps I didn't make it very transparent) the maid simply placed the new sheet on top of the bed coverlet and tucked it all in. Well, that's basically how we slept anyway, since it was so hot that day and night.

The paint job was just awful, looked like it was ten years since it had a fresh coat. The color green chosen for the walls was rather institutional looking bordering on insane asylum. The window was large and had a good view of the street. It was windy that night so at least there was a fresh breeze in an otherwise stale room. The furniture was dark wood but had a haze of dust over it. The bathroom was not clean either, and the shared toilets were pretty scary. One was a turkish style, which for some reason, I felt obliged to use because at least there was no toilet seat to come into contact with. The other was a western style toilet. Each toilet was shared by many rooms (though understandably so, there were not very many full).

On the bright side, this was the hottest water I encountered in Morocco, at all hours of the day. Hats off to that! No restaurant thanfully. I would not have been tempted if there had been one. 24 hour front desk service so that part is good. It looked like the locals or near-locals opted for this hotel, so from that point of view, I suppose it was interesting in itself to see how real people live, not just spoiled brat tourists like us. But it really was bad. It was probably only about 20 USD per night which is pretty much as low as you'd want to go.

Again, we didn't bother to look around as we were only here for one night and it was an unplanned stop. The Fes Sacred Music Festival was going on at the same time and we didn't want to press our luck and end up with nothing. I'd recommend staying in the Medina if you can, as the Nouvelle Ville of Fes is pretty uninteresting, especially if you've come from Meknes, and Rabat like we had. And sadly the bright faces of the staff could not make up for it. If you want to feel like a local, go ahead, but its not like home and you'll likely begin thinking of ways to sleep standing up!

PS. I had great difficulty finding this on the web, but one website had it on a listing of hotels in Morocco---

2 Thank rachelleo

Travelers are raving about these Fes hotels