“Dar-lightful!”
Review of Dar Seffarine

Dar Seffarine
Ranked #10 of 216 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2011

With all due respect to 'spunkydunky's review, I feel I simply MUST respond to it.
I was staying at Dar Sefferine at the same time and have a very different perspective on the situation.
Breakfast at the Dar is a cornucopia of delights. An array of fresh seasonal fruit such as melon, grapes, sweet oranges, peaches, pears etc. delicious cooked dishes such as frittatas, french toast, warm hard boiled eggs and English style fried tomatoes, along with pastries such as meloui (moroccan pancakes) and donuts, several varieties of bread, cheese, freshly squeezed orange juice, tea, coffee, home-made marmalade, apricot and plum jams. Etc.etc. It's very plentiful and the staff replenish and freshly cook the warm dishes as more guests join the table.

Breakfast conversion flows between international travellers preparing to start off another day in the wondrous medina. You also have the option for breakfast on the terrace or in your room if you prefer and request it.

Enter said guests who notedly didn't reply to the friendly hello's and good morning greetings from everyone already sat at the table... (if you're not even social, how can you say you felt unwelcome?)  A group of 5 had just left the table, so of course settings were just being cleared and a fresh laying being brought out by the ever-cheery manager Mohammed who immediately offered freshly-squeezed orange juice. I personally offered over the fresh tea and coffee jugs (again to be welcoming) while Mohammed set about re-laying the table and bringing a fresh array to it. It was me who said that Breakfast had started at 8.30, I also said they would bring out more of everything and recommended the 'meloui' (again to be welcoming, friendly and inclusive, as everyone else was!)
Everyone sat at the table was totally shocked when it was declared angrily "this is a mess" to which Mohammed asked if there was a problem and advised he was bringing fresh everything (of course!) They then stormed away from the table causing a mini-scene and left.
I'm not sure how people get that highly strung. It seemed an impatient, surreal overreaction, totally undue, I can't help but feel these guests made little effort to communicate and therefore missed out on something actually quite special, which is a shame! The owners and staff certainly made every effort to please us in our 7 day stay and absolutely exceeded expectations!
Showing extreme graciousness I saw Mohammed immediately make up 2 trays of fresh breakfast in the kitchen to take to the said guests, but they had already stormed off.

Throughout my stay I met over 20 other guests of all ages, backgrounds and nationalities who all shared stories and conversations at the table or on the roof terrace. A truly enriching stay where everyone was friendly, especially all of the lovely staff. A truly welcoming home from home: albeit in a beautiful palatial Dar in the heart of the vibrant medina!

Room Tip: The Kobbe suite is breathtakingly beautiful. We felt like kings staying in this intricately restored...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank BenvolioBenvolio
There are newer reviews for Dar Seffarine

Reviewed October 7, 2011

We have just returned from a wounderfull stay in the dar Seffarine Riad.
We had the most enjoyable relaxing time. The accommodation was stunning, we had the large suit and fell in love with it.
The roof top terrace must be one of the best veiws in Fes, with comfortable chairs and excellent service . The food was also high quality served in a communal dining room which enabled us to mix and relax with the other guests. We found the only fault with the food was that we were often served too much and often after breakfast could not eat again untill evening. Great....
The location also was perfect as it is very near the sefarine square.
Thank you to all who made our stay very comfortable.

Room Tip: The rooms are honestly all good, but the large suit was spectacular.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank orchardhouse55
Reviewed October 1, 2011

If you like to sit amongst other people's dirty plates and are expected to eat the leftover scraps of other people at breakfast, then this is the Riad for you. On our first morning we were confronted with the awkward situation of a communal table and no food as we arrived at 9.30 am when we told that breakfast would be served between 8.30 and 10.30. Well, it wasn't served and clearly it just sits on the communal table, and as we were the last there, there was hardly anything left. The owner/manager didn't rectify the situation and we were expected to pick at what was remaining. The other guests said that if we wanted breakfast, we should have arrived at 8.30 am. It was a very difficult situation for us as we were hungry, didn't feel welcome, so we decided to leave the Riad and go and find breakfast elsewhere which ruined our experience this riad. We were offered a coke and a biscuit in compensation for the inconvenience of not being served breakfast later in the day when we arrived back at the Riad.

Having read some of the other reviews, I am afraid our experience was not what we would have expected from a top-end Riad and the initial lack of quick response to our desperate situation. Yes, this is a very pretty Riad in the artisan's part of the Medina but they really do need to sort out the breakfast situation. Not everyone likes to eat at a communal table, particularly in the mornings after you have just woken up and there should be an option for people to have breakfast in private if they so wish.

It also wouldn't be a bad thing for someone to meet you at the main gate when you arrive as the Riad is very difficult to find.

Room Tip: Don't get the rooms facing the river as a dog barks below the window all night long.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank spunkydunky
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I agree with all the complimentary reviews. .Dar Seffarine is a beautiful inn, in a terrific location, serving fabulous food. I must mention, however, the most impressive part of our stay here was the great service by the staff. Mohamed, there's just no one like you! Thank you all for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed September 22, 2011

My husband and I spent 5 days at Dar Seffarine in June 2011. It had been recommended by my Oud teacher and his wife, who is Fesi. It exceeded my expectations in all regards! The building has been lovingly restored by an Architect and his designer wife and it shows. Everything was beautifully done and in keeping with the original Riad style. The tiles throughout were exquisite and looked similar to the tomb of Moulay Idriss. All the furnishings were in keeping with the style and were not only beautiful but very comfortable. Our bedroom was fantastic! I felt like I was living in a recreation of the Alhambra. The bathrooms were western, modern and up to date, yet still in appropriate styling. Being right in the Medina near Seffarine Square and all the key sights was really exciting. The staff at Dar Seffarine were fantastic. There was always someone available to assist you and the dinners and breakfasts were delicious. So amazing to be eating and living in such a beautiful place! I have stayed in wonderful and unique hotels all over the world and this is THE BEST place I have ever stayed. Like living in a beautiful museum with wonderful hosts. Thanks to all the staff at Dar Seffarine for a wonderful stay in Fes. I can't wait to return!!

Room Tip: We looked at all the rooms. Each was unique and fantastic. some are upstairs and have views, but i...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JackieKraybill
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Really enjoyed Dar Seffarine...very authentic with a really friendly vibe....the communal dinner was a great fun and the food was fab.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Dar Seffarine for three nights in July and could not have been happier.

When we arrived in Fes, we called the accommodation from the gate; Zouhir said he would be on his way to meet us and bring us to the guesthouse. Within 30 seconds a guy came and introduced himself to us and said “Dar Seffarine.” We started following him but then I asked him his name and he gave a different name; I told my partner to call the guesthouse back and as we looked ahead, we saw a guy answer his phone—the real Zouhir! I imagine that a lot of guests from this guesthouse meet at this gate, so we were easy targets. Anyway, make sure you actually wait for the person who says they are coming to get you!

Upon arrival, we had a seat and Zouhir went and made us some peppermint tea—fabulous! We just sat taking in the amazing building which would be our home for three nights. Zouhir took us to our room—a double room on the first floor that we ADORED—and then up to the roof to see the amazing view.

Our room was perfect: grand wood shutters looking into the central courtyard as well as outside, a comfortable bed, plenty of storage including a rack to hang clothes, a desk area, and a finely detailed little bathroom. Air conditioning worked great. There was a staircase next to our room that led to the roof where we were able to take in views of the Fes and just relax after exploring the medina.

Because we spent a little too much time relaxing and taking in our new surroundings, we were too late to have dinner at any of the local restaurants. The guesthouse had leftover soup and bread from dinner and asked us if we would like some. The soup was amazing and it was the perfect amount of food for a late night dinner and a relaxing first night in Fes.

We enjoyed breakfast at this accommodation and planned on having dinner there on our last night. I ended up getting sick on our last day, and the staff made me tea that my partner brought up to the room. For dinner that night, they didn’t charge me but made me rice and couscous because they knew that I would not be able to eat a whole meal. Everyone around me was thoroughly enjoying this meal; if I ever return to Fes, I think I will stick to all of my meals in this lovely dar!

The staff couldn't have been more kind and service oriented. Zouhir was always making sure we had everything we needed and was always up for a chat. Kate, one of the owners, even gave us a recommendation for another accommodation in Skoura which we took and thoroughly enjoyed.

My only caution about this dar is that it is so so so lovely, that you may find it hard to actually leave and see all of the sites in Fes! It is THAT beautiful!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple