“slumming in the nouvelle ville”
Review of Hotel de la Paix

Hotel de la Paix
Ranked #96 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

sketchy rundown dirty backpacker place. If you absolutely have to stay here like I did (tourgroup), bring a sleep sheet or risk the bed bugs.The shower kept coming apart. Upside: the air conditioning works. A petit taxi to the medina should cost you about 10dirhams each way.

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

There seem to be differing classes of rooms in this hotel. I was on a group tour as a single and was given a room on the first floor which was incredibly dated and grotty (the bedspread was grey but looked like it was originally white or cream), whereas the couples on the tour were given renovated rooms which were newly tiled and painted and had LCD tv's.

I did complain and was moved to a slightly better room on the 3rd floor, but had to put up with paint fumes.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank YippeeKiYay_au
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We got what we paid for and we didn't expect more or less. Rooms were tidy and clean with good lighting and hot water. Breakfast was basic but again didn't expect too much. Good central location in the new quarter which allowed for nightly walks out to restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2012

This hotel - or at least, the room I stayed in - was appalling.

My room was on the 3rd floor, and when I went up, the hallways were lined in plastic and paper as they were painting. The room itself had been freshly painted (the heater had literally been painted over), and the smell was overpowering. The floor was so dirty that I refused to walk with bare feet in the room, and instead dug out my flip-flops.

I'm an easy traveller: I've stayed in hostels in Morocco with no issues, but here, I spent most of my night at the hotel bar simply because I didn't want to spend time in my room.

Breakfast was awful too: rationed to 3 pieces of stale bread and 1 piece of cheese each, with a hawk-eyed waiter that seemed genuinely upset (I do hope he wasn't reprimanded by management) if the guests took more than their "allocation". The only redeeming factor was they served proper Ceylon tea, which made a nice change from the Moroccan mint.

Most of the other travellers on the tour had no hot water, but luckily this was not the case for me.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Charli W
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Stayed here as part of a group tour, and with 2 nights in one place one would have hoped for a. a working shower with hot water - particularly when the weather was cold b. a comfortable and clean room c. a decent breakfast to set you up for the day d. somewhere you could relax together. This hotel did not deliver any of this. The bathroom was dated and only just worked - we had no hot water throughout our stay. The bedroom was pokey and looked out over the dirty courtyard at the back. The furnishings were poor and I am not sure Oxfam would have even welcomed them. The breakfast was meagre, with an allocation of 3 portions of bread per person, and the poor waiter seemed terrified/unwilling to provide anything else. He watched over the consumption permanently, as did some man who seemed on the prowl. The communal area was a pokey foyer, and the carpets in the corridors and bedrooms were filthy. It smelled of fresh paint, and some reported more recently painted rooms - but these seemed confined to a few floors/street facing rooms. The welcome was non existent, and the staff appeared thoroughly disinterested. Terrible atmosphere

Room Tip: If you have to stay ask for a street facing room which has been refurbished
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank VERONICAtho
Reviewed March 14, 2010

This hotel was perfectly located in ville nouvelle, and only a short taxi ride from the Medina. I found the Reception to be cordial and helpful. It is ideally located on one of the main boulevards, with restraunts and cafes close by. It was very practical, "no frills" for someone who is on a budget.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 24, 2009

I went to hotel de la paix in the evening to see if they had a room for the next day for two nights. The receptionist told me they couldn't tell yet if they would have a room or not and that I had to come back next day at 11 AM. I asked if I could see a room and he reacted very irritated and rude "Didn't I just tell you that all rooms are occupied".
Ofcourse I didn't go back next morning.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo