“A Must-See”

Moulay Abdellah Quarter
Ranked #7 of 82 things to do in Fes
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I cannot imagine traveling to Morocco and not witnessing first-hand this method of tanning and dying hides. An absolutely fascinating sight -- the workers, the array of colors, the process. For me, this was one of a handful of peak Morocco trip experiences.

I told my guide at the beginning that I was not interested in shopping and he left me alone to enjoy the scene. I think it is possible to be kind and firm in this way and to get out with your humor and purse in tact.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

The tannery and dye pits are really a unique sight (and smell) in the MA quarters. You get to see how they make leather traditionally and experience the smells that comes with it because they use bird droppings to cure the material, thanks to the ammonia content. The best vantage points are of course through the shops trying to sell you leather goods at an insane price. This is really one of those places that you simply must visit to get a few guaranteed memorable shots. I fortunately was traveling with a group that was interested in buying some leather shoes, so i had a lot of time to take shots of the tannery process.

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

It's really impressive. It seemed, that life had stopped there. As thousands years ago people did that ugly work with disgusting smell. Only one question was knocking on my head:Couldn't they find another work?Is it worth doing,I mean, money?
This place must be seen. Even for sum up,how they live and how live you.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Hearing the process was interesting but I was more intrigued by the intensity of the colors all around us. We were expecting the smell and rather enjoyed the fresh mint they gave us at the door to hide the strong odor. As we were being told the details of the process, every once and a while he would repeat, "do not worry, you don't have to buy. You are welcome". I smiled as much as he did every time he said it. When it was time to see the end result of their work (the shop), he would repeat, "do not worry, you don't have to buy. You are welcome". When we finally said that we weren't going to buy, his super friendly demeanor turned to short and abrupt sentences to scoot us out as soon as possible.
Since it was free to tour the facilities and we did not buy anything, it was worth the time and effort to go. Would I recommend going? Yes. I gave a 4 star "very good" rating for this reason. Better than "average" but not "excellent" (I wish there was a "pretty good" rating). As long as you don't buy anything. Just expect, as I am sure you are well aware, the sales pitch to be given to you in the sort of kindness that is an obvious nonchalant reverse psychology. Did I say obvious? Good.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Besides the strong smell and the fact that you feel almost obliged to buy something, the place is very interesting and a special part of Moroccan handicraft work.