“Dirty place, unfriendly staff”

Hotel Tomboukto Fes
Hotel Tomboukto Fes
Ranked #42 of 69 Specialty Lodging in Fes
Madrid, Spain
“Dirty place, unfriendly staff”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

The only thing nice about this place is the terrace, other than that, the room was dirty, the sheets hadn't been changed, (there were hairs on the sheets). The staff wasn't very useful, they didn't manage to give us any basic information about the town when we asked, they had to go and find the owner each time you asked them a question. The owner himself was quite unfriendly and didn't tell us much , just to eat in the restaurant he owns in front of the hotel. We had paid two nights and only stayed one.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

The rooms dont have security... I try to switch the room and they gave me another tinny one whitout light... I ask for a bulb, and they gave me a bad one...
Then i realise that there' not lock in that room also... I try to explain the owner and he seems to be an idiot.

I ask for my money back and i left.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Fes hotels

Lille, France
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Being a not so intelligent and risk taking female american I decided to spend four days alone in Morocco and of course risked staying in a shady place because well, I'm cheap. This place is that too, it's cheap. With that said, the people were very helpful and kind. They did not scam me in anyway (but then again I reserved everything online in advance and they could not charge me for anything but what was on my printed receipt). Breakfast is free, but if you have other meals than they should charge you. This seems obvious to me, but maybe not to the others who are giving reviews? I didn't feel like my room was super sanitary, but this place is cheap. It's a hostel in Fez for heavens sakes! I know that all the bedding that we had was washed before we came and the bathroom was.. not the best. But it was private and got the job done. Also, the help was just that, very helpful. They can't speak French or English super well, but they have become great mimers. They really do try. If they couldn't communicate with me they found someone that could. When I showed them my concerns for safety at night, they tried to introduce me to other hotel customers so that I wouldn't have to be alone. Overall, I got what I payed for and I really didn't mind this place at all. It was a cultural experience, not a cruise, and that's what I wanted anyway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The hotel is located just on the edge of old medina. It takes 2 minutes from hotel to enter medina. People are friendly and they treat you as a menber of their family. In a neighborhood there is a small restaurant with really friendly owner.
If you're travel in winter or spring time you could be cold at nights, soo ask for extra blanket, because the air-condition is not helping much. If you're clean addicted you should bring your own sheets or sleeping bag.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simonka_sk
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Alright folks, so I made a mistake. I thought... "well, what the hell, for 10 euros night, how bad can a bedroom get?" Worse than sleeping on a dead camel with an std. That's how bad it is.

They will try to scam you all the time: making up extra fees, telling you that free services are actually paid for, threatening you if you don't yield to their violent pressure.

The rooms aren't rooms. It's an old mattress on the floor with unwashed sheets and pubic hair all over your pillows. The bathroom smells like a sewage and there is no toilet paper, soap or towels. Hoooo... but that's alright, cause you can always close the bathroom door, and it won't smell like poop anymore, right? No. No, you can not. Because there is no door. In fact, you don't even have handles in the whole freaking place. That's right, it's a hotel with no door handles. Sounds great, right?

Let me be fair... they do give you a padlock for you to try to keep your door closed.... but again... no door handles folks... and no window closes.

But the cherry on top of the cake is how rude people are. If you ask for toilet paper, they scream at you, insult you and when you finally get they ask you if you don't want 20 more things from them, cause they don't have anything better to do. Lovely. When I asked the mean boss lady why did it say "All taxes included" if I had to pay a "2 person tax", she told me to shut up.

I still have no idea who works there and who doesn't. It seems that all kind of touts and scum have free access everywhere and one family from France got their room robbed. At one point, I asked a gentleman for a towel and he got some wet rags and threw them on the floor in front of me.

Tripadvisor shouldn't allow this place to get booked. It's putting good people in serious danger.

Room Tip: Never stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

The room was ok. Just the firsto shower was possible to be warm. The owner's father tried to cheat us on every possible way. Offering expensive guides, trying to make us change our whole itinerary on Morrocco. He sold to us a free map for 2€ and they offered a transfer service from the airport at a 5x more expensive price.

• Stayed April 2013
lecce
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I 've been bitten by a mouse while i was sleeping in my bed. After I asked to the staff to change the room but he told me they had no other room ( but I knew they had another riad close to the hotel) so I slept in the room with the mouse. The they after of course I went to take vaccines and no one helped me to find hospitals or bring me there. They have became very kind only when the office tourism chief called them asking to reimburse me. The room was dirty of course and the door broken.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple