“Almost spoiled the wonderful Fes”

Menzeh Zalagh Hotel
Ranked #87 of 99 Hotels in Fes
Zagreb, Croatia
“Almost spoiled the wonderful Fes”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

My 1st review here- I am ashamed that I didn't review the good hotels because I thought there were already more than enough favorable reviews...So here comes one lengthy BAD review...
2 nights of horror:
I stayed there with my fiancee and a group of 17 people just a couple of days before New Year's ( we were going to Marrakech for NY's ). This hotel is supposed to be 4 stars hotel - but by what standards ?? No heating (and the temperature was 4 Celsius!), lumpy beds, no light in the bathroom, the doors of the bathroom were unable to close also ( we are almost married, but a little privacy would be normal!), BROWN water ( it was brown even after a minute of running water from the pipe)...the room was sooo dirty - black hairs all over. C'mon - I know that some people shed hair more than other, but this is a hotel and not a hostel ( no disrespect to any hostel)!
Non- responsive staff (?!)- we called the reception and tried to have them change the bulb in the bathroom but to no avail (imagine this if you were a girl and you want to put on some make up!!) ! They were non responsive to all our pleads.
To top it all the female "manager" "running" the restaurant was behaving like a guard dog and we were on her private territory. If we stayed only a couple of minutes more than she seemed appropriate for us to to stuff the food in our belly ( I don't know how to call that, because I am a foodie and I enjoy food so...I am thin btw..) she would look ominously in our direction with a clear message: " Go away, we need these two seats!" I want to make clear that we didn't use the table more than it is appropriate (even less, since we were in a hurry to meet our guide and go to the Medina) and there was no need to do so because the food was so awful that we ate outside ( Yes, I am a foodie, but not spoiled at all --- the street food was incomparable to this hotel's "restaurant").
I am sure that I forgot something ( ok , the elevator wasn't working properly..but that is such a small issue compared to everything else ) and I assure you that I am not prone to complaining - to be exact - this is the 1st review I've decided to write here because I want everyone to stay away from this horrible hotel, so it doesn't ruin the wonderful city of Fes and beautiful Morocco! Cheers all!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Arya22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Arabic first
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

Stayed here for 1 night on a trip, the hotel was clean and very welcoming. The beds where very clean and comfortable as was the bath room, we did not eat in the restaurant in the evening but breakfast was ok basic buffet but very good service I requested some mint tea and that was made and brought over with a smile. All in all a city hotel in a good location with a good nights sleep. Being a travel agent we are rather fussy but this was not the dump that I was expecting infact I would return.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank 1960Sunbird
Matlock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

This was part of a Cosmos group visit. The normal tour is 10 days but our group were sampling the tour in only 5 days, so we spent one night here. It's clean and comfortable, the lobby has free wifi which was very quick when connected. The hotel phone system and therefore internet went down for a few hours, but that was Morocco Telecom, not the hotel.

The breakfast choice was limited, but there was a lady cooking Moroccan 'pancakes' which were tasty. French pastries and scrabbled eggs were also offered. Coffee was hot and hot milk was available. There's a McDonalds two minutes walk if you crave western food.

I notice other some reviews say it wasn't up to scratch, but I thought it merited 4 stars by Moroccan standards. Still had a little street noise. In December there was no chance to try the aircon, so I can't comment.

As we were there only one night and the tour was fully escorted, I didn't need to worry about the location which seemed reasonable.

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank globalcoachtours
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2010

We spent a couple of nights at this hotel during our touring holiday in Morocco.

pros:
- nice scenic view of Fez medina (try and get the rooms that face the city centre - unfortunately they didn't have a triple facing that side when we were there)
- spacious rooms, with separate bath and toilet - good to have when there are three of you sharing
- good restaurant
- great hammam in the hotel - much better both in terms of quality and value for money than what we found in Marrakech

cons:
- problems with the plumbing in the bathroom, but this was quickly sorted out
- buy your water bottles from the shop opposite (rather than from the shop next to the hotel)

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Inspiring-journeys
Brig
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

First of all, They do not have fitness club or or any similar facility. It is bullship that they have fitness facility. Do not have a meal at the restaurent. It is simply expensive and not good. Breakfast buffet will be very basic, Some breads and croassan and boiled eggs and some drinks (but orange juice was nice). I have visited 3 different local 4 star Hotel and this hotel offered kinda best room. I stayed 4night and I had a Single standard room with Kingsize bed.

Cleanliness - Average, no surprise in both positive and negative.

Service - Don't expect anything. Reception would not answer unless you specifically point out. However, It seems like all the 4 ster local Morrocan hotel reception has same problem.

Location - 12 ~ 15Dh should be enough for Medina and you can walk to city center. Safe enough and No noise. 5 ~ 7 Dh will be very enough from the train station.

Value - If you think about price it is still good

Rooms - It was biggest room that I had from 3 different 4 ster local hotel that I visited.

Sleep Quality - bed was big enough and some how they provide 4 pillows and I really enjoyed it lol.

* Unless you don't mind paying 4~ 5times more fair for a texi, naver take a texi from or near the train station in Morocco. (But even you pay 4~5 times more, it not gonna be more than 10 Euro in most of cases)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

This hotel was so dirty, maintenance is a huge problem and the staff were not helpful. In my room the air conditioning was not working (after 2 complains they managed to switch it on and it worked for 5 mins and then was off for 1.5 hrs during the 2 days i was there) in 40 degree heat that was not on. The fridge in the room was not working, the telephone was disconnected and had no dial tone and the remote for the tv didnt work so you needed to switch channels and on/off via the tv. The bathroom had mould growing out of it, there was a firm of dirt along the bath and also the vanity in the bathroom. The floor was dirty both in the bathroom and also in the room. Pls do yourself a favour dont stay there its not worth it. Stay in 5 star accommodation.

• Stayed July 2010

Travelers are raving about these Fes hotels

Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stayed at this hotel between July 17 to July 21, 2010. The refrigerator was not working and there were no lights in the toilet. Worst was the air-conditioner that was making a loud noise. I called and asked them to fix it but they could not. I spent three sleepless nights, and only on the fourth night, they gave me another room. I tried pleading and shouting but nothing helped. The management team never moved for fixing customer service problems. Since I had paid for the rooms in advance, I was stuck and left at the mercy of the cavalier staff. I would NOT recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. KEEP AWAY.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple