“Riad Laaroussa: an oasis in Fes”
Review of Spa Laaroussa

Spa Laaroussa
Ranked #1 of 15 Spas & Wellness in Fes
More attraction details
Owner description: Authentic private hammam and massage room. The original traditional steam bath of Riad Laaroussa has been restored to its ancient use and beauty. Offering aromatic body scrub and relaxing massages for up to 2 people.
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I've now stayed at Riad Laaroussa twice and my partner three times. It is outstanding: relaxed, beautiful, stylish, and good value. Of the many hotels I stay in each year it is one of the few I would want to go back to again and again and would heartily recommend to friends or colleagues. Cathy and Fred, the owners, have created a hotel/home/restaurant/attraction all in one. The rooms are just right in every detail with period decor and a look that is of Fes and Morocco and of the era of the historic Riad without twee or tacky. The staff are warm and funny and will do anything to make your stay comfortable. The breakfast is great and the view from the terrace on the roof is one of the best in Fes. The courtyard is so restful and the sound of birdsong in the city is such a change from the hussle of the Medina. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Riad Laarousse is where I went for my first hammam (I opted for a private one- mostly because I wanted more individualized attention) and it was heavenly. You are asked to strip to your underwear (no bra) and then taken to a steam room with dark blue plaster and slight window openings up high where you lie on a hot (but not unreasonably so) marble bench and can either relax or watch the steam curl up and around in the light that filters through. Your body relaxes, you feel the tension leave you with the dewy sweat forming on your skin, and you lose sense of time. The woman returns and fills a small sink/tub with water. Using a cup she splashes the water over you and then places a black soap on your body which is also rinsed. She then takes a loofah (which you will receive later- much to my delight) and scrubs you, showing you how much exfoliation the loofah achieves. (I had no idea I needed to shed so much skin but the feeling afterwards is glorious!). After further rinsing, you are escorted to a rain shower and can wash your body and hair with incredible smelling soap and shampoo. From there, you go for a massage- I chose the jasmine oil- and for the next hour you simply melt into the table. I took another shower after that and was escorted back to Dar Roumana where I was staying (as heavenly as the hammam!) feeling like a new person, both literally and figuratively. On my return next year, this is where I will be for my next hammam and massage!

Reviewed May 16, 2014

A second Hammam in a week but no regrets.
We loved that the history of this hammam and the women who scrubbed and massaged us could not have been more pleasant. We left with soft skin and a smile on our face.
We highly recommend treating yourself to this hammam.

1  Thank Caseynash
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My partner and I went to the Spa at Riad Laaroussa at the start of our trip in Morocco. The porter came and collected us from our Riad so we didn't get lost, which was much appreciated. However, as soon as we arrived in to the Riad we were ushered straight in to the spa and it wasn't really clear what was happening, we were just told to undress! The Hammam was very nice and our skin felt great after the scrub. The massage was a little disappointing and it certainly didn't last 45 minutes but it was nice to be able to have this together as at a public hammam women and men attend separately.

It would have been nice to have been shown around the riad afterwards as it seemed like a very nice place and maybe somewhere we would have considered staying next time. As it were, we paid and left immediately and so we were straight back in to the bustle of the medina rather than being able to enjoy our newly relaxed selves.

All in all a lovely experience but I think a bit more attention to detail rather than feeling rushed through would have made this the perfect experience.

1  Thank cupcake3040
FredLaaroussa, Owner at Spa Laaroussa, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with Spa Laaroussa. It is a very polite way to express such disagreement.
I apologize sincerely as things shouldn’t have gone this way.
As you mention, attention to details is a key issue and our therapists should have let you know what was supposed to happen when you got in.
Our Spa Guests always have a drink at the riad either before or after the session and you are right, it allow them to enjoy more being relaxed. It is a mystery to me why you haven’t been offered to visit the riad and have a drink! sorry for that.
Thanks to your review, we already addressed all these points with the staff in order to avoid such experience in the future.
Fred

Reviewed May 6, 2014

The perfect place to relax and desconnect from the crowded Medina! they treated us perfecty, we had some te and biscuits at the patio before the massage and we loved the kindness we were treated with! We really recommend to have the all session, hammam & spa and if possible, stay there for the visit!