“Beautiful Riad, great location and wonderful business owners.”
Review of Dar Hafsa

Dar Hafsa
Ranked #7 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed November 3, 2013

For a student like myself--I was looking for a place to stay in Fes that was moderately cheap but classy. This riad was everything I could have asked for and more. My friends and I were treated so well when we arrived, literally it was as if they rolled out a red carpet for us. I felt as if we were treated like family, we were taken to the roof top terrace and served tea to discuss our stay. I explained my situation to our host--my friends were going on a four day tour that I could not afford and needed advice on an alternate option. The owner of the Riad took care of me and set me up with bus tickets, accommodations and more. I am so thankful for him and the staff at the Riad. The riad was beautiful inside just like the people that work there. I recommend this Riad wholeheartedly, and if I go back to Fes that is where I will be staying no matter the circumstances.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Highly recommend this super comfy riad in the heart of the old medina. You cannot beat the location...minutes from the main entry, the Blue Gate. We were able to call from the train station and the owner met us at the Blue Gate to show us to the Riad, which would otherwise be very tricky to manage for newcomers to the Medina.

We stayed in Room 3 - upstairs with great firm beds, and only very minor ambient noise that one expects from a riad - in fact the hosts are very careful in the morning to be quiet during breakfast to respect all guests who may be sleeping in. The riad is on a very quiet street otherwise.

We very much appreciated how helpful and ever-present the owner, Karim, and his daughter Maryam were to our needs - offering directions to anything we wanted to see. A very special experience that Maryam helped guide and arrange for me was to visit the public hammam and get a scrubdown. The housekeeper did our laundry marvelously for a very reasonable fee, as well as freshening our room everyday with new towels and newly made bed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

You can tell from the other reviews that people love this place. If you are staying in Fes, stay at Dar Hafsa.

Accommodations. The rooms are basic but offer a great place to rest your head after walking the medina. The place is small by American standards (such as they are) but it is beautiful. I especially enjoyed hopping up on the roof for some awesome vistas of Fes.

Services. The friendly family running Dar Hafsa offers a feast for breakfast that should not be skipped. This was the best meal of my stay in Morocco. Honestly, you might want to stay at Dar Hafsa just to eat here in the morning.

Getting there. If you grew up in the medina of Fes, it should be easy to find. For everyone else, good luck! Tell the owners when you will be arriving and they will arrange transport from the train station. When you wander about the medina and surrounding area, go with a guide the first couple of times. You do not want to get lost in the medina. It is a fine and relatively safe place, but very difficult to navigate for visitors.

Room Tip: Ask the staff where you can find a good place to get pastila. the local cuisine of Fes. Pastila is m...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank David B
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

What a place to be in, Dar Hafsa! In the middle of the old medina you instantly feel at home with the very kind owner and his family. He arranged great trips for us, and took good care of us when we were a little sick.
Beautifull rooftop terrace to relax on, good breakfast, nice rooms. Nothing to say but Great!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This guesthouse is located inside the old Medina, conveniently close to one of the main entrances (the Blue Gates). My husband and I didn't get into Fes until well past midnight. Knowing that we'd probably have troubles finding the old Medina, let alone the guesthouse inside the old Medina, we'd made arrangements with Abdul Karim, the owner, to get from the airport to Dar Hafsa. Sure enough, when we arrived, there was a taxi driver waiting for us. He drove us to the Blue Gates of the old Medina (15 euros - which we later learned was a good fare because when we left and hired our own taxi, it was 20 euros) and from there, we were greeted by a friendly teenager who helped us with our luggage and walked us directly to Dar Hafsa. Even though it was now close to 2AM, Abdul Karim had stayed up and greeted us and showed us to our room.

Our room had 2 single beds and was a tad cramp and dark. But there was AC and a TV and the bathroom was a decent size. It is an open shower, meaning there's no bathtub or shower stall or shower curtain. When taking a shower, it does get the toilet seat and everything nearby wet. But, the water pressure and temperature is great. There is a slight sewer smell in the bathroom, especially after a shower when everything is wet. But in the old Medina, because of the leather tanneries, everything smelt a bit off.

The next morning, we were greeted with the generous breakfast which many reviewers mentioned. Breakfast is a HUGE spread of many varieties of pastries, bread and baked goods, a glass of orange juice, a piece of soft cheese, jam, olives and half a boiled egg. Breakfast is served only from 9AM - 11AM, so on days we had to leave early for a tour or to catch a flight, we didn't get breakfast. For bread and carb lovers, this would be THE breakfast. Unfortunately, for us, by the second day, this was too carb-heavy and we were fighting for each other's half boiled egg. If possible, I'd suggest perhaps including or substituting some fruits into the breakfast. All in all, however, considering how much we paid for this place, the breakfast was a real treat.

I do agree with another reviewer's comment about Abdul Karim being a tad over-bearing and opinionated at times. He does comment and ask and remind you to write a review about Dar Hafsa on tripadviser or hostelbookers...while we were still staying there! BUT, we can tell that he is genuinely passionate about his business / guesthouse (which used to be his family's home) and can understand the importance of these reviews. During breakfast, he does sit there while we eat - but we just took that opportunity to ask him about Fes, the old Medina, his family, etc. And although at times him being constantly present made me (not my husband) a tad uncomfortable, he is ALWAYS helpful and offers suggestions / recommendations (whether asked or not).

Abdul recommended a tour guide to take us around the old Medina on the first day and I highly recommend that. No matter how adventurous you are, you need a guide to show you around first and then go exploring on your own. The guides also help keep many children and shop owners from hassling you. Our guide was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and pleasant to be around. Not once did he try to get us to buy anything or seem to favour any particular shop or shop owners. He took us around the old Medina for the entire day. From the very start, Abdul told us he'd be 20 euros per person and that was what we paid him at the end of the day, no surprises.

Abdul also recommended us a restaurant to eat at night. This is where we were a tad disappointed. He'd told us that this restaurant is where 'they' (meaning locals) went to eat and that it's the best around with the very best value. When we got there, we were surprised to see that this was the very restaurant which our guide took us to earlier that day. We were even more surprised to see that we were given the exact same menu (fixed menu where you get to chose from one of two appetizers, main dish and dessert) as earlier that day, except in the afternoon, the price per meal was 12 euros and now, it was 9 euros. When we went earlier in the day, there were a lot of other tourists, no locals, who were also brought there by their tour guides. This restaurant had obviously worked up some deals for tour guides / hotel owners to recommend their guests there...not quite the 'authentic' experience we were hoping for. The food was alright (regular chicken or beef or couscous tagine) but portions were small. However, none of us got sick afterwards. When another couple from the guesthouse ate at another restaurant the following day, they ended up getting food poisoning and had to remain at the guesthouse, cancelling their tours and flights. Not wanting to return to the same restaurant or gamble our health and eat anywhere else, we ended up taking a taxi for 5 euros to the new city and ate at Burger King and McDonald's for our other meals.

The view on the rooftop terrace was probably one of the main reasons why we booked it and why we enjoyed our stay there the most. We spent most of our time up there whenever we returned to the guest house (including eating Burger King up there one night). It overlooks the whole of the old Medina with the Atlas mountains in the background. It's simply breathtaking and stunning.

Overall, this wasn't a 5 star hotel...but we also didn't pay anything near a 5-star hotel rate. We got way more than what we paid for and I'd recommend this guest house to anyone who's looking for a budget-friendly, neat, clean and sweet place to stay while in Fes!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Antiapluswill
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Riad fantastic, very good position inside the old Medina.

The Riad is very clean and very queit. The breakfast is amazing very good, and a lot of food, maroccan and continental.

The owner of Riad is very friendly and if you want he can help you for your trip in Fes.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed at Dar Hafsa with my girlfriend and brother for two nights. We were greeted at the gates to the Medina by Karim (very helpful owner of the Dar and has lived in the old city of Fez his whole life). It was great to sit and relax on the rooftop of the Dar which overlooks the beautiful old city and enjoy tea with Karim while he explained the intricacies of the medina.
The service is absolutely flawless and the brekky was top notch!
I will definitely stay here again and recommend to all my family and friends who ever get the chance to stay in this amazing city.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends