“Quaint”

Ranked #7 of 99 Hotels in Fes
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Quaint”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Dar Hafsa is a lovely old private home coverted to guest house with lots of excellent original architecture and an inviting rooftop terrace. It’s an easy location to find in the old medina, with access to shops, sights, restaurants, etc. Our host was very gracious and attentive to details, and we looked forward every day to the sumptuous breakfast we were provided. Though our room was comfy, the bathroom was pretty rough with water seeping up from underneath the tiles and a sink that took forever to drain. We never tried the shower; it was too scary to think about what with the seepage.
There was one thing that really turned me off, however. One afternoon, we came back and asked the owner’s daughter if she knew of a good local shop to buy argan oil. She said she wasn’t sure, but another gentleman with her piped up that he knew of a place and would take us there. Well, he took us to a shop where prices were double what we’d seen elsewhere. Not wanting to seem ungracious to the women there, we bought a few items. Then this same fellow asked us to accompany him on “his” shopping which, of course, turned out to be a ruse and we were led into a rug shop and waylaid by rug salesmen with a hard pitch. Five minutes of that scene and I walked out disgusted. We stayed in 6 different places in Morocco and this was the only one where someone tried to dupe us.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SJAnita
merielove, Gérant at Dar Hafsa, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you very much for mentioning the good things in our place such as comfortable room ,the decorations,the breakfast and the roof terrace we really appreciate that and yes that is true that you came and ask for buying an argan oil and my answer was that I really don t know a good place to buy from as you mentioned in your comments and the gentleman who was sitting with me in reception hall and who offered to help you when he heared you asking me about that he was a guest like you in our place and I think you know that ,that is why you accepted his offer which means I have nothing to do with that and I don t have the right to tell you with whom you can go or not so it is not my responsibility and I didn't t know even when had you gone with him .concerning the bathroom when the water is poured on the ground it needs time to dry and each morning we asked you to clean it or dry it for you and you refused finally I am sorry for what you had experienced with that foreigner even if it was not my responsibilities

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I spent 3 nights in Dar Hafsa. I must say I was very impressed by how beautifully decorated the riad was. The room wasn't extremely big, but it was very cozy.
Breakfast was always amazing, I could probably say the best I had during all my stay in Morocco.
The owner and his son are really nice and extremely helpful.
The only thing I did not like was its location. You had to walk quite a lot into the medina in order to reach it. At night, especially after 9 pm, I didn't feel safe at all walking on the narrow, dark streets of the medina. I suppose if you have a man accompanying you, you wouldn't feel scared. However, as women, we didn't feel safe walking all that distance alone at night. Anyway, I suppose this is not a big issue as long as you don't intend coming back so late.
I should also mention the very good price. Definitely worth the money!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I called this place from Rabat at noon on the day of my arrival, and they booked me in with no hassles. I was met at the entrance of the Medina quite late in evening by the hotel staff (son of the owner), who was very welcoming. In general, the family who run the place are very friendly, open and hospitable. They understand that providing good and honest service is the key to building their reputation, and they do a great job at it. The hotel itself is clean and inviting, the rooms (I stayed in two) are comfortable and well equipped. The breakfast was particularly great.

The owner provides his guests with some very useful tips on getting around the Medina. He insists that one should not go into any store to buy things, as most places will give you less quality at a higher price. Not surprisingly, he has his own recommendations on where to get the good stuff, for less. I'd take his advice with a grain of salt: it’s true that he showed me some great shops, but I wasn't convinced that they were much better than the myriad other places one finds wandering the narrow alleys.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed at Dar Hafsa for 3 nights and left wishing we could stay longer. Karim and his family were spectacular and we felt right at home.

Our triple room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. We sipped mint tea on the rooftop terrace as we watched the moon rise over the medina during the evening call to prayer. The traditional Moroccan breakfast was delicious and more than we could eat!!

What we appreciated most was Karim's honesty and willingness to help. He gave us advice on where to eat, how to bargain, where to go to a hamam, and arranged for an official guide from the tourist's office. Karim tries to set himself apart from other businesses in that he does not take a commission on anything he helps you with. His is truly a labor of love, and you feel it from the moment you step foot in Dar Hafsa.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This riad was a breath of fresh air after our long day traveling to Fes from Marrakech. The owner came and met us at the gate, where we were led to the riad. On arrival, we met the owner's daughter and son, as it is a family-run establishment. We were immediately served mint tea and the family made sure we felt very welcome. They are extremely helpful, especially since I was sick, and bent over backward to make sure we had everything we needed. I also can't leave this review without mentioning the intricate, beautiful decor, and the to-die-for view of Fes and the foothills surrounding the city. Definitely the place to stay while in Fes!

1 Thank pdavila88
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed in Dar Hofsa for one night and found the staff to be very kind and helpful from start to finish. From our arrival, we were greeted by the owner at the gate and escorted down to the Riad. Exhausted from our long train ride, we could tell that we were in good hands and eagerly entered to the smell of mint tea. After having some, we quickly retreated to our room for a little down time. The room was very cozy and the decorum contributed to its warm feel. My girlfriend was not feeling well (sore throat) and the family staff made every initiative to help her out (boiled water for a rinse, etc.). The next morning, feeling rejuvenated we were treated to a grandiose breakfast before we headed out with our guide that they arranged for us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We recently stayed here on a quick jaunt through Morocco. The riad is run by an incredibly lovely and friendly family. Our hosts met us at the gates and lead us to the riad, which was really wonderful as it would have been tricky to navigate otherwise and we appreciated the extra care they took. We drank mint tea on the gorgeous rooftop terrace and slept comfortably in the bedroom suits and there was always someone home in case we needed anything. The breakfast that was prepared for us was the best we had on our trip. The only thing that slightly dampened things was when we were leaving and were each asked (er, strongly encouraged) specifically to write individual reviews of the property as soon as we made it to our next destination, etc. We were really happy with our stay and would never hesitate to recommend it - there was no need to ask.
Nice place. Nice people. Thumbs up.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple