“Disreputable”

Ranked #167 of 211 Fes B&B and Inns
Laramie, Wyoming
“Disreputable”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

When I arrived at this hotel my reservation was not honored, even though I'd already paid a down-payment. The front desk clerk was openly hostile and unhelpful and said that I could only have the room if I paid five times the rate that I'd been quoted online. Of course I refused, but that left me stranded in a strange city. Unacceptable behavior. Book at your own risk!

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank James P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We used to stay in other hotels on our frequent visits to Fes, but after finding this one we have never stayed anywhere else. Excellent prices for modern rooms with excellent breakfasts. Lovely staff and owner. Rooms are also always spotless.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bacchus Marsh, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2012

No matter where you choose to stay, it would be unusual not to find at least one unfavourable review, after all, we all have different expectations and have different experiences. However, I was surprised to read the two experiences posted recently.
I have stayed at Bab Boujloud on several occasions, the reception staff are always courteous, polite, and informative; the ladies who service the rooms and serve breakfast, delightful, smiling, friendly and helpful.
The prices offered are good value for the rooms, the location just outside Bab Boujloud, excellent, for access to medina kadeema, for taxis or for walking to almost any site you wish to visit. The roof terraces offer a wonderful view over the medina to the hills beyond, to sit to catch the breeze, to relax at any time of the day or evening, and to eat 'petit dejeuner' in the morning.

There are a myriad of hostels, riads, hotels to stay at in Fes, but really, Bab Boujloud suits me just fine. p.s. I am also a solo female traveller.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I booked 2 weeks in advance to stay at this hotel with hostelbookers and paid a deposit. When I arrived at the hotel they refused to honour my reservation which I had printed and confirmed with me. They told me if I wanted to stay with them I would have to pay about 3 times the price I had originally reserved for online. They refused to negotiate or discuss alternatove options with me. We are two young students travelling and were sent onto the street to find alternative accomodation in Fes. I would caution any traveller planning to stay here as they may not honour your accomodation or try to rip you off once you arrive.

Stayed July 2012
2 Thank LizfromCanada

Travelers are raving about these Fes hotels

Bar Harbor
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The Bab Boujloud used to be my go-to hotel when in Fes overnight on business or visiting friends until I had a poor experience which I will tell you about in a moment. To start; The prices on rooms are great and you can score a room on an upper floor with the bathroom in the hall for 80 dirhams. Yes, 80 d's for a television with awesome Saudi stations by satellite, two beds, an alley view, and a bathroom down the hall with access to the roof. It's an awesome price and you can get in and out of the hotel at all hours of the day with convenience stores on either side of you and plenty of taxis pulling in front of the baab (the blue gate into the Medina) to shuttle eager tourists about and carry you wherever you may need to go in the city. The Bab Boujloud is clean and wifi is an excellent perk since it is often very difficult to find a cheap hotel with wifi in Morocco. The view from the roof can't be missed and it is a great place to sit up late into the night and watch the activities in the Medina.

Now for the bad... I used to love Bab Boujloud but I will never stay there again because I had a poor experience one night after midnight in the breakfast area. I stayed up late to finish a presentation for school and was using the wifi all alone when the night clerk came by to chat with me. I was fond of the staff at the Bab so I chatted with him a little bit until he decided to get too close. Sexual harassment is alive and well in Morocco and often misunderstood. Unfortunately, women who linger alone after dark are often assumed to be "looking" for sexual contact or to even be prostitutes. Being that I knew this clerk, however, having stayed there many times before, I was surprised at how the situation escalated. By the time that I managed to push away from him and go running into my room I was pressed up against the wall and it took some physical effort to get away. I was not making any advances on the clerk whatsoever. In fact, I was trying to clearly articulate that I am engaged and was not interested. Unfortunately, he never got the clue, and I got shaken up pretty badly since the situation could have gone very wrong. While I never had any other poor experiences at the Bab and I'm not sure if that employee is still there, I would advise that you stay at the Bab Boujloud and enjoy the beautiful scenery but, if you're a woman, refrain from lingering in the lobby alone after dark.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Mayyim
Ipswich
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Just stay here - you don't need to brave the labyrinth of hostels and riads. For 100dirham each, we got an en-suite room, including a tv. It has a lovely double roof terrace, where you can sit, eat, take in the city (sometimes nice to take a break from being IN it, and just look at the nice traditional city!!)

Free wifi and breakfast included, although we couldn't get wifi in our room (saw some people sitting at the tables in the atrium using laptops, so must be ok there). Breakfast typical of Morocco, ladies who serve it very nice.

Bathrooms are wet rooms, and some rooms don't have ensuite, but there are showers and toilets on top floor (toilets on every floor), and they're not communal type affairs, just you.

Man on reception was LOVELY, although I don't know if he spoke much English (I used French), and booked taxis for us to the airport, so we didn't have to brave the gauntlet outside for it, and advised us of a good price, then agreed it with the taxi man. Let us borrow stationery and allowed us to leave bags in a cupboard after we'd checked out for hours, and even use the roof terrace to eat on (many hours after midday check out!!)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I agree with the previous reviews that are positive. The 3 floors and terrace and roof are all done over recently, set around a central atrium with tables for using wifi. My room also had wifi, I believe you want one facing the atrium for good reception. The breakfast pancake-juice-coffee-bread-butter is plenty for me, the lady will bring it to your room also (but you can carry it as well). Location across from the Bab is perfect, noise not a problem, and the femmes de chambre are excellent and not intrusive. I hope the prices stay as low as they are. It's true the single rooms are small, but not as small as the picture on one of these posts make them look.

Room Tip: Wifi in the inside rooms