“We were so grateful for the people who contributed to our stay at Dar Sienna”
Review of Dar Sienna

and 1 more site!
Dar Sienna
Ranked #22 of 226 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We were so grateful for the people who contributed to our stay at Dar Sienna. My husband got food poisoning and was ill for part of the time while we were there, and Sahbah, Sayeed, and Ahmed all took care of our family of four in different ways.

The other guests who stayed with us at Dar Sienna became friends and we all enjoyed sweets (before my husband fell ill, most likely due to a tuna fish item he consumed in Spain) in the common area together. The rooms were very comfortable and even though we shared the kitchen with other guests, the whole experience was lovely. There was always fresh peppermint in the fridge for hot peppermint tea. The rest of the kitchen was fully stocked with everything we needed.

Dar Sienna is located in the midst of the Medina, so if you don’t want to miss this most iconic feature in Fez, Dar Sienna couldn’t be better located. The terrace at Dar Sienna gives you an excellent view of everything from the leather tannery to the minarets. The place was clean when we arrived and every day Sabah (a sweet soul who went out of her way to take care of our family while my husband was ill) cleaned the place top to bottom.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Beautiful riad at a very reasonable price. Owner and staff are super nice and the place is immaculate. Because the riad is located in the center of the madina (and not by the entrance), it has the advantage of being right in the heart of the action and having an absolutely stunning view from the terrace. The disadvantage, though, is that it´s a bit of hike to get from the main gates to the riad, so if you´re only in town for less than 24 hours, this may be a bit of a problem.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Dar Sienna is a wonderful place to stay. Richly authentic, and yet simple attention to detail leaves the feeling of staying in a truly Moroccan home. Hospitality and service was outstanding. Ahmed the manager, was a warm and reassuring presence and Said and Saba provided sumptuous breakfasts as well as an endless supply of smiles and mint tea. Our location, in the very heart of the Medina, was perfect and our daily routine quickly developed around delving deep into the Medina morning and late afternoon and retreating from the clamour and bustle of it all to the terrace in the afternoon. This was a perfect place just to sit and soak up the atmosphere and the sun, as well as contemplate the risk factor in having a full on massage at the haman just round the corner. The terrace is on two levels, with shaded and unshaded areas, and a great vantage point from which to gaze at the belfries and mosques.We had full use of the beautiful and well equipped kitchen for making snacks and felt completely at home in this small guest house. Sonhild, the owner, was a great hostess with lots of tips for restaurants and generally getting the most out of our visit. There was nothing to dislike, though if you like to travel with many clothes etc you might be disappointed in the shortage of cupboard/wardrobe space in the room. Already we are talking of returning next year.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank christopher_riley3
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Dar Sienna is so much a part of why I am still savouring every moment of my trip to Fez. There is nothing quite like feeling so completely relaxed in such a foreign city- I was planning my return visit before I had even left and I ended up extending my stay there. I have been telling anyone who is willing to listen that this is an absolute must-have experience, but I don't think my description does it justice. The staff at Dar Sienna are so accomodating without any sense of forced hospitality- it really is difficult to leave. The roof terrace provides a magic vantage point over the whole of the city and to stand up there in the early evening or ultra early morning and listen to the calls to prayer reverberating around the city is something I'll find hard to forget.
Long breakfasts on the terrace set you up to spend the day fully immersing yourself in the medina that has something different to offer at every turn. At the end of a day of sensory overload- Dar Sienna offers a wonderful retreat. Ultimately though it is the people that make the experience- and I found in and around Dar Sienna some of the warmest and most hospitable people I'm ever likely to meet.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We felt so at home in Dar Sienna. The staff are truly wonderful, so helpful, friendly ~ very quickly they became like our extended family. Thank you Sonhild, Ahmed, Said and Saba. We spent a lot of time on the terrace just absorbing the energy including one morning on the top terrace at 4am, feeling myself deeply moved as i listened to the first call to prayer of the day emanating from mosques all around (Dar Sienna is in the very centre of the medina)! And then when we descend down the stairs, outside the door... wham, we find ourselves right in the middle of what makes Fez so intoxicating for me. Sights, smells, sounds, the candle sellers and herbalists that line the passage to the Moulay Idriss mausoleum. People everywhere. Fabulous! The view from our room was sublime ~ another morning I watched the golden light bathing the medina as the sun woke up, and I lay snuggled under the cozy duvet. We will be returning ~ soon I hope!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sarahgay
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We LOVED Dar Sienna! This place was nestled in the heart of the medina, with terrific views of the entire area including the tannery and the mosque. My husband had food poisoning while we were there and the staff was so kind and caring. They took such good care of us! They went above and beyond what they had to do as part of their daily tasks, which was greatly appreciated. We enjoyed spending time with the other guests staying there as well. I wish our family could have stayed longer… The breakfasts were amazing, the location was perfect and the staff was pleasant and helpful. We’ve had some bad experiences with vacation rentals in the past, but this was one of those situations that has kept me a vacation rental fan! It’s a great place for families or large groups…

Room Tip: The room upstairs has a bathroom en suite. The second floor room has easier access to a bathroom tha...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We absolutely loved staying at Dar Sienna and decided to stay an additional night soon after we arrived. You will not want to leave ! Rooms are lovely, everything is super clean and the terraces offer a fantastic view over Fez. The breakfast on the terrace is divine ... Shukran to Saba and Said !! Dar Sienna is the perfect place to discover Fez; it's right in the middle of all the action and yet a quiet place itself. We hope to come back some day !! G. and U.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
darsienna, Propriétaire at Dar Sienna, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

It was a great pleasure to meet you both and share some wonderful times with you, particularly the Aissawa musicians on your last evening. Even staying 4 nights, there was still so much more to discover and do! We look forward to welcoming you both back again soon. Next time perhaps you can rent the whole house with friends and share your discoveries.
Your enthusiasm was wonderful to see. Thank you.
Sonhild Grey