“Marvellous stay”
Review of Palais Amani

Palais Amani
Ranked #14 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We spent 4 days in April in the Palais Amani in Fes and it was a great stay.
The Ryad itself is gorgeous, with lemon trees and a beautiful fountain, typical oriental style but with all modern equipments.

The staff is local, warm and welcoming, they pay attention to your needs. Greatly appreciated is their flexibility: change the schedule of a spa treatment, have breakfast at noon on the terrace or on the 1st floor, have dinner at last minute when you have not booked. They make you feel as if you were received in some friend's or family's house but with all the comfort of a hotel.

Great attention from the management of the hotel, who welcomes the guest and proves interest to overall and detailed satisfaction.
Rooms are moderns with TV and very comfortable beds and armchairs.
Very well situated with a limited number of rooms the Palais Amani is a real paradise on earth.

Reviewed April 15, 2011

This is the best boutique hotel I've ever stayed in. It was simply wonderful in every way. I laughed when reading about the little parking lot you arrive in before walking up to the hotel. It gives no idea of the beauty and luxury you are about to encounter. It is a true oasis in the hectic medina.

When we arrived, we were greeted by Abdel with tea and refreshments. He gave us the most helpful information about the medina, sites, restaurants, and shopping. He really is such a great host and one sophisticated guy. He made all his guests feel special and important. He went above and beyond with hospitality and genuine interest in his guests.

We stayed on the second level in a very large room with seperate living and sleeping areas. It also had a huge bathroom. Everything was so beautiful and stylish. Sometimes old hotels with high ceilings and echoing corridors are loud, but I never heard anything at night or in the morning. I like to sleep in and never heard noise. I was a little worried when a family with a young baby checked into the room beside us. Once the shutters were closed at night, I never heard a thing.

The hotel itself is a feast for the eyes. I would walk around in awe of all the gorgeous design details. Everything has been meticulously restored.

You can have a literal feast as well. The restaurant was phenomenal. I've traveled in North Africa before and never been a fan of the food. Not so at the Palais Amani restaurant. It was some of the best food I've had. It's Moroccan with a lot of French influence. I heard some French people raving and knew I was in good hands. I figured the French are better authorities on food than me! We also enjoyed the roof bar where you could order just about anything.

The staff was amazing and friendly. They were so diligent and hardworking. Their kind smiles always made me feel so welcome.

I'm already dreaming about returning to the Palais Amani.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jechath
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I hardly need to repeat the litany of overwhelmingly glowing reports on the Amani - but to say i've just returned from a week's stay (april '11) and everything remains; the wonderful staff, the personal attention, the cleanliness and absolute calm. They have made a wise decision to employ a guest liaison manager, Kriselda who possesses a wonderful combination of absolute helpfulness with genuine warmth. I believe this Medina was decorated by one of the owners, Sonia, who reveals her fantastic taste in understated elegance. I should add, being upgraded to a room bigger than my London flat was a treat, being given a birthday present by staff, another, and being goaded into playful arguments from politics to culture by another owner, Abdel, only made the entire trip just the more enjoyable.

Room Tip: take stairs, not lift for lovely painting!
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Strategically located in the Medina of Fez, this 5 star Riad pampered us from start to finish. The highly professional staff anticipated everyone of our needs, and any additonal desires were always granted with a smile and in an efficient matter. Breakfast, served in the terrace, is overwhelming. Lunch and dinner (optional) are served in the courtyard, an oasis in the middle of the hectic medina; the menu consists of local and traditional flavors served and presented with a twist. This is a boutique Riad, the decor of the rooms and bathrooms is luxurious and simplistic at the same time. After travelling a whole week by car through the south side of Morocco, arriving at this Riad was like a breath of fresh air. We will definitely stay at Palais Amani on our next visit to Fez.

Reviewed March 31, 2011

My husband and I travel extensively and this was our first trip to Morocco and staying in a Riad (Moroccan style accomodation). All I can say is the experience was amazing. We had been advised to stay at another Riad that is well established in Fes but after doing some research I was not impressed with that recommendation. So I did a little further research and came up with a few choices but finally settled on Palais Amani. The reason why I choose it was due to other reviews read on Trip Advisor from recent travellers experiences and other external reviews from travel experts.
The Palais along with one other Riad that we stayed in on our 3 weeks in the country were the highlights of our visit.
The Riad took 3 years to renovate and the attention to detail is amazing and very tastefully done. It is not only comfortable but inviting. You actually feel at home and after trekking through the Medina all day it is the perfect place to go back to and unwind, relax and get pampered.
We arrived on a night of one of the biggest storms they have seen in a number of years. As most Riads are in the old Medinas you need to walk to them from a parking lot or at least down some walkway. The car park for the Palais was under construction and given the storm and rain it was a mud hole. I thought how are we going to get our selfs to the Riad. But before I could even worry about it 2 staff members from the Riad were at our car doors ready to help get the luggage and provide us with umbrellas for cover.
Once inside we were greeted by one of the owners of the Riad which sat and explained the concept and gave us a tour of the facilities. He was most helpful and such a pleasure to meet. He actually was an incredible source of information and provided us with countless assistance in finding or locating anything we needed or wanted. It was such a personal touch to be greeted by him everyday at breakfast or during the day around the Riad.
The Riad also has a restaurant , hamman and travel booking services. The food was what I would call modern Moroccan and very good. The hamman was to die for and getting a massage was a perfect way to end one of our very busy days during our stay.
Some say that the staff are very inexperienced and that maybe, but what they lack in experience they more thatn make up for in enthusiasm. Always a smile and friendly courteous assistance. If they did not know something they found out for you quickly.
I can only rave about this place because after 3 weeks we had allot to compare to and I just wished that we were not so far away because I would visit more frequently.
I often worry about new places since I have seen many loss their charm after the years since the attention to details start to lag. But I have no reservations that as long as the ownership remains in the present hands this will always be an amazing place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the private deck.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BaydaMax
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Abdel and his staff have created an ambience of warmth and familiarity that I have never experienced in a high-end establishment anywhere in the world. The pictures are testamount to the style and comfort of the hotel although you will also find a wonderful hammam that is available for usage at anytime of the day or night. Guests are also welcome in the kitchen and may invite local friends back for meals or drinks at the bar. The quality and variety of food served at breakfast is a delight and can be taken on the terrace or in the garden at anytime which was great for us as we are late risers on holiday. Dinner is also recommended if you are looking for Moroccan influences without the heaviness of a full-blown traditional meal in a tourist restaurant. Abdel has done an excellent job handpicking and developing a team of local people who clearly enjoy their working environment. And last but by far the least the relaxed, intelligent conversations we had with Abdel over a glass of wine or strolling around the terrasse made the experience all the more like visiting a friend. I look forward to the next opportunity I have to visit Palais Amani and the charming city of Fes.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2011

This hotel is a real gem, on a par with the best boutique hotels we have visited anywhere in the world. A magnificent former riadh (house with garden courtyard) on a grand scale, it has been painstakingly restored with uncompromising attention to detail and turned into an utterly charming small hotel. The owners have gone to great lengths to preserve the original features, notably in painstakingly removing layers of paint from the original wooden ceilings and intricately carved doors and shutters to reveal the original cedar wood and craftsmen's skills. The mosaic tiling too is magnificent and evocative of the rich culture of this historical region. The restaurant looking out onto the garden courtyard and the roof terrace and bar complement the luxurious accommodation to create an oasis of pampered tranquility where one can relax in comfort between excursions to explore the medina and the surrounding region. But quality of service is the key to any good hotel and the service, in all areas, at Palais Amani is faultless. It gets five star rating from us!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple