“Best Pastilla I've Ever Had”
Review of RESTAURANT BOUAYAD

RESTAURANT BOUAYAD
Ranked #41 of 219 Restaurants in Fes
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Late Night
Description: On the right hand side as you come through the gate to bab boujloud. it has an hotel on its left. just in front of the restaurant LA KASBAH.
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This restaurant is just inside the Blue Gate (Bab Boujloud), directly across from Fes Kasbah restaurant. Unlike the other restaurants in the vicinity, the staff did not accost us to try to get us to eat there. I had read a review saying Restaurant Bouayad had excellent pastilla, so we sought it out and were definitely not disappointed! It was the best pastilla I've ever had, and my friend who I convinced to try it for the first time (she's a self-admitted picky eater) was blown away by the flavors. I also had harissa that was delicious and the Moroccan salads my friend got were very, very tasty as well. Some excellent mint tea finished off the meal for us. All that, plus drinks, for 145Dh. Very reasonable for the amount and quality of food, especially considering we had been prodded into a tourist trap restaurant with mediocre food the night before for 150Dh per person. We sat outside for some excellent people watching, but there was also inside seating. I would return to this restaurant without question every night if it wouldn't make my pants stop fitting :)

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

This charming restaurant was recommended to us by our riad host as we arrived to Fes rather late and very hungry. Although the menu is not overly extensive, it has a good choice of Moroccan dishes for a bargain price (30-60 Dh pp). And all so very delicious!! We had to come back the next day it was that good! Our waiter was very courteous and polite, he insisted we use their (misspelled) English menu. A very positive experience altogether, would definitely recommend this place! And might even go back again tomorrow!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I had dinner here one night, so I might have been lucky. The harira soup and chicken tajine were both very delicious. With a soft drink, the bill for this meal was about 70 dirhams before tip, or about $8, which was an excellent value. There was inside seating and outside seating in front of the restaurant, but no roof terrace. The wait person I had was very friendly and spoke English. The restaurant is located just inside the Blue Gate among a plethora of other restaurants all clamoring for your business. Of the three retaurants I tried in Fes, I thought this was the best for food quality and value.

1  Thank walk1103
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Bouayad is about the 3rd restaurant on the right after entering the blue gate, right next door to Hotel Cascade. They are open on Fridays. (Holy day). The service here is with a smile and they speak english and have an english menu. We had the vegetable soup this was excellent; a pumpkin soup with just the right amount of herbs, this came with fresh bread. Before the soup arrived they gave us a free plate of dahl which was delicious. My partner had the omelet which was very good and simple, these two dishes were perfect for someone getting over short term illness. I had the roast chicken this came with fries, rice and a little salad it was very good also and the chicken was well cooked so no fear of sickness. I also had the cream caramel for dessert with fresh banana on top this was very tasty. They serve fresh OJ. They have the option of just one dish for around 40 - 50 drm or a 3 course meal for 70 drm, value for money is excellent. Overall the food and service was faultless and we will return tonight to try the Moroccan soup and chicken, vegetables with couscous.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We went to this restaurant (which is just a few shops down from the Blue Gate on the right in the Medina, so very easy to find) as they weren't very pushy, and we were getting fed up people grabbing us and shouting at us.

We're so glad we did. This was the best meal we had in Morocco. Tagines tend to be range from the bland to the flavoursome, and this was the best. We paid 50 Dirhams (they thought we were students so offered it for this rather than the standard 70, but it was so good we gave a 20 tip!) for a set menu for 3 courses, and they were all lovely. The soup was really nice, and the cinnamon oranges were different and lovely too. They even finished it off by giving us free mint tea!

Service was great, restaurant was clean and nice to look at, and it was generally ace. If this restaurant was in my home town, I'd go all the time.