“Great historical oasis”

Hotel & Spa Riad Dar Bensouda
Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at Dar Bensouda with a friend a couple of years ago and we had a wonderful experience. The staff is very friendly and accommodating, the food is delicious, and they can connect you with many different services or experiences while there!
On arriving in Fes, we found that we had not made our travel arrangements as soundly as we had thought... we didn't realize that Bensouda was so accommodating, and that they could send someone to pick us up at the airport and escort us to the hotel! So.. we had a very stressful time of navigating our way from the airport to the city and then through the Medina. It also didn't help that we had gotten the wrong telephone number for Bensouda from a travel site!! Thankfully though, everyone we asked for help was very nice and helpful!
Since my friend and I had not really planned our trip very well- actually nothing beyond booking Bensouda- we took to figuring out what was available to us with our terrible planning!
We spoke with the manager a few different times during our stay and he was very nice and helpful. He arranged for someone to take us to the ATM one day and for a guide to show us around the Medina on another.
Their food was very good as well and the rooftop setup is lovely! We didn't discover the rooftop, however, until the morning we left. :(
I hesitated in writing my review, like others, because I would like to stay there again! but, they are a really great establishment!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel & Spa Riad Dar Bensouda

Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is the type of property that you come to Morocco to experience. I’m a bit nervous writing this review, as I don’t want to be booked in perpetuity thereby preventing me from staying again. However, they do deserve the praise. Premier personalized service, head and shoulders above other places (though the standard in Morocco is quite high). We received a lot of information on where to go, how to get there, and so forth. As this property is right in the heart of the Fes medina, you definitely need all the help you can get to avoid getting lost. Now, let’s get to the building itself. Apparently it used to belong to a very important person, since it is spectacular. There is a calm courtyard on one side, and a small but pleasant pool on the other. The roof is open and has countless sofas and chaise lounges for you to be comfortable, or enjoy a romantic evening under the Moroccan stars. I didn’t find out until after we left that it would have been possible to eat breakfast up there as well, which would have been highly enjoyable. Overall, just a perfect place, and worth the trip alone. Next time, a week, not a day.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I arrived in the evening very ill - a travellers nightmare. Said - the manager organised medication immediately, dinner and breakfast in our beautiful room then as I recovered wonderful dinner every night by the fire. This stunning riad has been sensitively restored retaining the original ambiance but adding designer touches to make it a favourite in my photographs. Said organised our driver for day trips then three days through the mountains including our accommodation on our way to Marrakech.

Room Tip: We had a luxury one upstairs off the upstairs lounge room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights after staying with a Moroccan family. This was heaven. 'Said' the manager and his staff are just fantastic. They are a superb group of people who work very hard to get what they need for us.

Fabulous rooftop views of the city, great public spaces in the Riad and another room with super high ceilings. The Riad is an ancient building with wonderful modern bathrooms - just try to not get the room that we had which was right by the main entrance. Everyone walks back and forth. Do try to not hit your head when walking up some of the stairs! Remember to look up not down at the steps! (good advice for anywhere in the world really!) Good breakfast.

Overall we enjoyed this Riad, it was very picturesque and comfortable for my wife and I.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I were in Morocco for about 10 days, about 6 days in Marrakech and 4 days in FEZ . And we loved Fez, Dar Bensouda was the best place we stayed in entire Morocco.
And When I think of Dar Bensouda, I think of one person, SAID, SAID, SAID!!!!.

Said Mouhtadi is the best riad manager in entire FEZ!!!!

Dar Bensouda, is not the best riad in Fez, just because of how beautiful, clean, spacious rooms, great food or how good the view is from the rooftop, this is all there, but the people who runs the place is what makes this place very special to me.

The manager, Said Mouhtadi is one of a kind, he provided us with everything that we needed. Said even invited my wife and I to his home for lunch to meet his wife and his adorable baby boy, I don't know many hotel managers in the world who does that. Said and other staff members in the riad really made us feel at home and safe. The food, the room, the service was excellent. We couldn't have asked for anything more.

Fez Medina is a magical place and Dar Bensouda is one the of key ingredient of that magic!

And Said Mouhtaid!!! is the one that makes that magic happen.

This is the place where you want to be at when in Fez. And when is Fez ask for Said Mouhtaid, he will make your stay very special, safe and a memorable one.

In four short days, Said and his friends became my friends and no doubt I will back in Fez to visit them and stay at Dar Bensouda.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We loved the staff here! This gorgeous restoration of the former Iman Bensouda has a beautiful courtyard complete with pool (too cold to use in December) and cozy, warm dining room. The food we had at our dinner here was our first taste of a more refined Moroccan cuisine, which after several guide and driver-directed meals (they go for places that are safe and give them a free meal, but are totally forgettable cuisine) we loved.

The rooms are lovely, but it’s the staff that makes this place amazing. My daughter’s and my suitcases were lost (grrr Iberia), and although we’d done some shopping, we were out of clothes by day four with no luggage. For about $10, the riad washed two shopping bags of clothes, and even got a white sweater that I’d spilled red wine on completely clean. They are deep in the Medina — so your car service won’t be able to pull up to your door— but they’ll send a guy with a cart to pick up your luggage, and cheerfully escort you to your driver in the morning.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I feel like the other reviewers have already summed it up so well, with 'Perfection' and 'Absolutely amazing'. This was my second time to Fes, which I had fallen in love with on an earlier trip around Morocco. This time I opted to stay somewhere new and happened upon Bensouda. It has everything.

It is set in a beautiful 500 (?) year old Iman's palace. A ruined building next door has been restored and is now a terraced area with a beautiful swimming pool, surrounded by exotic plants and reflecting both the sun and the evening lamp's light onto the walls of the riad. The terrace on the roof must be one of the best places to see the Medina and hear the call to prayer over the city. It was also perfect for sunbathing and has many loungers and cushioned areas. The food was fantastic and prepared in one of the cleanest kitchens I have ever seen. And best of all? The lovely staff! Thank you Said and team for making it a memorable stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends