“Stunning Architecture,Food and Service”

Hotel & Spa Riad Dar Bensouda
Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I arrived in the evening very ill - a travellers nightmare. Said - the manager organised medication immediately, dinner and breakfast in our beautiful room then as I recovered wonderful dinner every night by the fire. This stunning riad has been sensitively restored retaining the original ambiance but adding designer touches to make it a favourite in my photographs. Said organised our driver for day trips then three days through the mountains including our accommodation on our way to Marrakech.

Room Tip: We had a luxury one upstairs off the upstairs lounge room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here for a few nights after staying with a Moroccan family. This was heaven. 'Said' the manager and his staff are just fantastic. They are a superb group of people who work very hard to get what they need for us.

Fabulous rooftop views of the city, great public spaces in the Riad and another room with super high ceilings. The Riad is an ancient building with wonderful modern bathrooms - just try to not get the room that we had which was right by the main entrance. Everyone walks back and forth. Do try to not hit your head when walking up some of the stairs! Remember to look up not down at the steps! (good advice for anywhere in the world really!) Good breakfast.

Overall we enjoyed this Riad, it was very picturesque and comfortable for my wife and I.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I were in Morocco for about 10 days, about 6 days in Marrakech and 4 days in FEZ . And we loved Fez, Dar Bensouda was the best place we stayed in entire Morocco.
And When I think of Dar Bensouda, I think of one person, SAID, SAID, SAID!!!!.

Said Mouhtadi is the best riad manager in entire FEZ!!!!

Dar Bensouda, is not the best riad in Fez, just because of how beautiful, clean, spacious rooms, great food or how good the view is from the rooftop, this is all there, but the people who runs the place is what makes this place very special to me.

The manager, Said Mouhtadi is one of a kind, he provided us with everything that we needed. Said even invited my wife and I to his home for lunch to meet his wife and his adorable baby boy, I don't know many hotel managers in the world who does that. Said and other staff members in the riad really made us feel at home and safe. The food, the room, the service was excellent. We couldn't have asked for anything more.

Fez Medina is a magical place and Dar Bensouda is one the of key ingredient of that magic!

And Said Mouhtaid!!! is the one that makes that magic happen.

This is the place where you want to be at when in Fez. And when is Fez ask for Said Mouhtaid, he will make your stay very special, safe and a memorable one.

In four short days, Said and his friends became my friends and no doubt I will back in Fez to visit them and stay at Dar Bensouda.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We loved the staff here! This gorgeous restoration of the former Iman Bensouda has a beautiful courtyard complete with pool (too cold to use in December) and cozy, warm dining room. The food we had at our dinner here was our first taste of a more refined Moroccan cuisine, which after several guide and driver-directed meals (they go for places that are safe and give them a free meal, but are totally forgettable cuisine) we loved.

The rooms are lovely, but it’s the staff that makes this place amazing. My daughter’s and my suitcases were lost (grrr Iberia), and although we’d done some shopping, we were out of clothes by day four with no luggage. For about $10, the riad washed two shopping bags of clothes, and even got a white sweater that I’d spilled red wine on completely clean. They are deep in the Medina — so your car service won’t be able to pull up to your door— but they’ll send a guy with a cart to pick up your luggage, and cheerfully escort you to your driver in the morning.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I feel like the other reviewers have already summed it up so well, with 'Perfection' and 'Absolutely amazing'. This was my second time to Fes, which I had fallen in love with on an earlier trip around Morocco. This time I opted to stay somewhere new and happened upon Bensouda. It has everything.

It is set in a beautiful 500 (?) year old Iman's palace. A ruined building next door has been restored and is now a terraced area with a beautiful swimming pool, surrounded by exotic plants and reflecting both the sun and the evening lamp's light onto the walls of the riad. The terrace on the roof must be one of the best places to see the Medina and hear the call to prayer over the city. It was also perfect for sunbathing and has many loungers and cushioned areas. The food was fantastic and prepared in one of the cleanest kitchens I have ever seen. And best of all? The lovely staff! Thank you Said and team for making it a memorable stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sanjontookbee
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Truly beautiful Riad and service exceptional.All the staff were helpful and charming and from the first welcome to the moment they assisted us in getting to the airport there seemed nothing that they couldn't fix or advise us on.
Delicious food in the evenings around that flickering fire.
The room was amazing as were all the Prue's that I managed to see.
What more can one want?

Plus the hotel is next to all the bets Souks !!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Oh my goodness I could not rate this hotel any higher! It was decorated beautifully. We were actually worried they had accidentally given us a nicer, more expensive room.
We arrived in the early hours of the morning and the staff were very welcoming and brought us mint tea to our room.
The room was huge with a staircase up to the bathroom, a lovely big comfortable bed with a firm mattress.
We had massages in the hotel which has a separate massage room, you don't even have to leave the hotel, they bring the masseuse to you!
Breakfast was a variety of breads and cakes, fresh orange juice, cakes, tea, coffee..... Which we had by the pool. It was beautiful!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it is amazing value for money.
Although it is impossible and I mean IMPOSSIBLE to find it on your own, so I would suggest organising to meet someone from the hotel outside the medina.

Plus you must go up to the roof terrace, the view is spectacular.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple