Riad Verus
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Dar Hafsa(Fes)(Great Value!)
$50
$158
  • Breakfast included
Riad Dar Guennoun(Fes)(Great Value!)
$78
Travelocity
  • Pool
$43
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe ownerdesert tourfree teacommon roommint teabeautiful hostelother guestsbed dormtwo nightsroof terracecooking classold cityblue gatecouscousnoormoroccoguide
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Riad is beautiful, no doubt. We were warmly welcomed and because there were so few visitors, we were able to choose between different rooms and I was elated over getting a private room for the two of us with a bathtub! (Yay!) The room was small, but nice and it was fun to have an ipod dock to play music in the room. Also, Yusef (sorry if I spelled that wrong!) was a delight to talk to throughout our two days we stayed there.

but... we were both put off by the city tourist tax. I totally see -now- after we booked and stayed there that it is marked in a few places on the hostelbookers website, but only if you scroll down. When you're booking on a small computer or even iphone while traveling, this is not ideal. I think the tax should be included in the price that is listed because with the tax added on, it was considerably more expensive than we had planned. Almost 1/3 more. Because we are long term travelers- this cut into my daily budget and I was unable to afford the (overpriced) beer at the riad or take advantage of one or two of their planned activities. Also, when things aren't immediately transparent, it makes me second guess other aspects of the business.

Which brings me to how uncomfortable I felt seeing their policy that good reviews of the hostel were rewarded with a free meal. I'm traveling for a year, I understand the value of a free meal- but I really value TripAdvisor because I get honest opinions of places to stay and eat. It feels like the Riad Verus is taking advantage of this site and possibly using it to score more "best hostel in Africa" awards or something... The Riad is a great place, but this doesn't make me want to like it as much as I would if I read reviews knowing that the positive ones weren't rewarded with a free meal.

Could improve upon: We didn't have a key. We were told the guests right before us took it with them- but it seems as though other reviews complained about not having a key as well... The wifi didn't work in our room (private on the second floor) well at. all. It was also fairly slow on the patio. There was nowhere to hang our towels or put our toiletries in the bathroom. (The Riad is super clean, so I didn't mind putting some things on the floor- but would prefer a shelf or hook!) The blankets are super itchy and not warm at all. We wound up turning up the heat in our room and only sleeping with only the sheets on the beds because the blanket was so uncomfortable. Also both mornings we were woken up by someone pounding on the front door. It was between 8:30 and 9, so I figured someone would take care of it- but it went on for awhile... Rather disturbing. The second morning wasn't as bad, but it definitely woke me up.

This was a great place. There was heat we could take advantage of when the blankets weren't great. I felt safe even though we didn't have a key to our room. etc. We had a lovely stay... but somethings made us uncomfortable and I think it could all be easily improved to really truly make it THE best hostel in Africa like the rewards on the office door proclaim!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with an outside window- if possible. Ours only had an interior and got a bit stuffy at times. The patio rooms seemed like they might be a little noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thiskentuckygirl
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for posting your review and we are delighted you found the Riad to be so beautiful, spotlessly clean and you liked your private room with a bathtub, idock and heating and were so warmly welcomed and you found Yusef to be so charming and hospitable throughout the stay.

Since reading the review we have modified some of the aspects of the room, we have changed the blankets to more softer ones and have put in shelves in the bathroom and also hooks for towels. I am sorry there was no key for the stay, the previous guests had taken the keys with them and as it fell over a weekend we were unable to get them from the post office or bring in a locksmith to change the locks, as you mentioned the hotel is very safe and we are pleased you never felt uneasy.

With regards the reviews, we reward every single review, be it good, mediocre or bad with a meal as an incentive as so many guests do not leave feedback, we value all feedback as it helps us improve the services for the Riad and also we can make the place better for future guests as somethings we don't see but guests do and this is essential for our future as a service industry.

The banging on the door would have been the maids arriving in the morning and I can but apolgise the staff present didn't open the door sooner or that the arriving staff were not more mindful of guests sleeping, so please accept my apologies for this.

Tax isn't included in the price, as you noted we exclude this in the up front price and it is payable in addition to arrival, as a small establishment we cannot absorb the tax ourselves unfortunately and we put this as complete transparency on all the websites we advertise on so there is no misunderstanding to the guests when booking. Beer is at 3 Euros a bottle. When deciding our pricing on beverages we studied over 20 other hotels in the Medina and found we were 20% cheaper for a bottle of beer and 40% cheaper than what clubs in the New Town of Fes charge. We also offer the guests a corkage charge so that guests can bring in outside alcohol if they so choose.

Thank you once again for staying and we wish you both great onward travels.

Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Simply the best riad I have stayed in in Morocco. Given, the location isn't ideal and the beer is 35drh rather than 20, but they are my ONLY gripes. This Riad is absolutely stunning... Ornate 3 story interior, decent menu, relaxed international feel, embossed doors and wooden carved cornices. Stay here or miss out...

• Stayed: January 2013
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

We are so pleased you found the Riad to be so great and that you would so highly recommend it to others. As for the location yes we are not on the main drag but we are in the safest residential quartier of the city making for a peaceful night and safe surroundings. Sorry you found the beers to be a little pricey but definately cheaper than the 100 Dhm they charge in the bars in the new city!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed over New Year's Eve and had an absolute blast. The hostel offered plenty of activities and a warm and welcoming environment. The staff were top notch and the facilities were kept in excellent condition. My only criticism would be the higher than average cost of the hostel compared to others in the city.

• Stayed: December 2012

We are so pleased you found the welcome you received so warm and that you had a blast over New Years with us. We are glad you liked our staff and also that the facilities on offer were to a high standard and well maintained and there was plenty to keep you busy with.

Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Christmas in the terrace room, bottles of wine, joints epic sound system and an amazing view of the medina and surrounds just a few steps away worth the extra € you'll pay staff speak good English and are helpful ah yeah yep alright.

• Stayed: December 2012
RIADVERUSFES, Owner at Riad Verus, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

We are so pleased you had an epic Christmas at the Riad and that you liked the terrace room you were given and the bottles of wine and the good sound system and the amazing views of the whole of the Medina from the terrace and that the staff speak English and were helpful.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

It has an Awesome environment, helpful staff and a great retreat from the busy streets. The tours they offer are well worth going on and the beds are very comfortable which is a nice change. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2012

We are so pleased you found there to be an awesome environment and that the staff were all so helpful and it was a great retreat from the business of Fes and that the tours we offer were worth going on and that the beds were very comfortable and you would highly recommend us.