Ramada Fes
$158
$222
$167
  • Breakfast included
Riad Dar Guennoun(Fes)(Great Value!)
$78
$137
  • Pool
$43
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsneeds renovationbuffet breakfastamazing hotelclean roomsgymtaginesguide
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We are by no means the luxury hotel type:we've camped while rafting along the Colorado River, we've slept in the ice hotel in Quebec--we need nothing fancy. Completely NOT picky about our hotels, as we visit somewhere for the location, not to see the inside of a room. I am shocked that Gate 1 Travel, who we travelled with to Morocco, chose this hotel, and am even more shocked that a semi-decent hotel name like Ramada wants to be associated with this. They should be embarrassed (Gate 1 has rectified this--see end of entry).

Hotel lobby is nice enough--some seating by a pretty Moroccan lounge/hookah display off to the right, bar area (I think that's what it was) off to the left. Staff at the front desk did not seem to have training in the hospitality industry, as you had to wait several minutes for them to finish private conversations before acknowledging that you were standing in front of them.

The room was fine except for the things that weren't (ha ha!). First, I opened the drapes and, as soon as I moved them behind the bracket, the bracket fell off the wall. Then we discovered that the previous occupants had locked the safe so we could not use it without a technician coming up. The gold fixtures attached to the dresser/TV stand/safe holder (stating what was inside that door, such as "safe") looked like plastic, were crooked and, in some cases, were missing. I don't care about that in terms of room comfort, it just added to the very run-down ambiance and again made me think Ramada should be ashamed. This places needs SUCH a face lift.

We decided to go get a drink at the bar before dinner. The bar was very dark (could hardly see where you were walking) and a band was playing very loudly. This, along with the smoke, made us decide to get two beers to bring back to the room. The bartender did not speak English (and sadly, our alternate language skills are lacking, to be sure) and just kept indicating to put out more money on the bar. He finally said we had reached enough. I thought it was alot but I didn't want to cause a scene so we took the beers and left. About 20 minutes later we returned to the lobby area, where I sat down in a chair and a piece of the arm broke off. We noticed some others in our tour group had the same beers we had gotten. When asked how much they paid, they paid much less! We told our tour manager, who spoke to someone in the bar, there were many heated words, and then we received our overpayment back. Geez! I wanted to crawl into a corner. I don't mind paying the going rate but I don't like being ripped off.

We stayed for two nights and the room was comfortable. There are a few cafes within walking distance. However, the service at this hotel and the overall run-down condition would mean I would not recommend it to Western tourists. Has Ramada trained this staff in their methods? I am assuming not. Our tour guide told our whole group after we left that he was shocked and disappointed with this hotel and that the tours would not be staying here again. Indeed, I just checked Gate 1's website and already (one month later) they have chosen another hotel in Fes. I am proud of their follow-through.

Room Tip: The tip is: choose a room at another hotel.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

In short, this hotel is not deserving of its star rating and if you want 4 star quality, I would suggest you stay at another hotel.

We are elderly travelers, and the super high bath tubs make climbing in to take a shower very hazardous. In addition, the tubs are extremely slippery and there are no bath mats provided to keep you from slipping in the tub.

We were traveling with a group and check in was efficient and well organized. We got to our rooms in short order. The bell staff and room service was good, but that's where the good news ends.

Our room was extremely dark with very poor lighting, even when the compact fluorescent light bulbs were fully lit. We struggled to read things and find things in our luggage. The rooms are dated with worn surfaces and clumsy repairs (bad caulking, shabby carpeting and furniture and out dated lighting, etc). The hotel is in serious need of renovation if it is to live up to its star rating.

The food in the restaurant is unimpressive including the breakfast which is quite bad. Poor variety, cold in many instances and served by a wait staff which seem inattentive at best (uninterested at worst). The wait time for service and food delivery was okay, even though the food was disappointing. This hotel is located in a lively area where many restaurants are within walking distance, so you will have better choices nearby.

Our beds were not the worst, but certainly not the best. No pillow top mattresses, foam pillows (no feather pillows available) and dated and well used bed linens. The mattresses were firm to hard which some will like, others will hate. We did manage to get adequate sleep, but there is no luxury here.

Bathroom come with hand and bath towels only, so bring wash clothes if you prefer as none are provided by the hotel. The shower is part of a tub shower combination, reach by climbing into an extremely high tub. Getting out involves a very large and dangerous step over, even for someone like me, who is over 5 feet 10 inches tall. The floors are polished marble (who's crazy idea was that) and very slippery when wet. An abundance of caution is strongly advised.

The water temperature was a complaint of almost every traveler with our group. It was either cold or scalding, like ours. No in between. We requested it be adjusted twice, but to no avail. The temperature went from scalding to cold and back to scalding after the "repairs" . Clearly, the thermostats should be replaced.

The rooms are quite large, but that does not make up for their overall condition. I would not choose this hotel on my own and I' m sorry it was chosen by my tour provider.

Room Tip: If you want better accommodations you should pick a better hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Recently stayed here with a Group whilst touring Morocco. Do not be fooled into thinking that because it is called the Ramada that it is up to the Ramada standards! It is in a busy part of Fez and if you do not want to be kept awake by the disco you will need to have a room at the back - a little less noisey. The rooms were fine, clean and the beds comfortable and big. The problem we had here was with the housekeeping - we had no hot water, it took them quite a while to sort this out and once this was sorted you could then not flush the toilet - not clever! It was supposed to have had 3 restaurants - in fact there was only one open which was adequate, the food was good but the menu was very limited. The staff were quite pleasant but again not a lot of smiling went on. Some of the public areas could have done with some TLC. Breakfasts were good and there was lots of choice. We would stay here again but only for a couple of nights!

Room Tip: Room at the back to get away from the disco noise although the whole area was noisey.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

the location of the hotel is ok, in the middle of the new center. But I would suggest to stay in the medina in a riad. I think the hotel has had it best days.
the staff is friendly and helpful.
it's a continental breakfast.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was a very avrage hotel, adaquate if you are looking and paying for mid budget accomadations. We were with a bus trip so breakfast was a provided buffet. Our first morning wasa joke. You would have thought it was the first time a bus had been there. They were short or out of everthing till we were done eating what there was. THEN the plates and juices were full.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends