“Island of Peace in Fes”

Riad Le Calife
Ranked #1 of 99 Hotels in Fes
“Island of Peace in Fes”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed for 2 nights in the Topaze room. This hotel is an island of peace and serenity in the middle of the chaos that is the medina of Fes. The staff was excellent.

We had dinner on the beautiful terrace at the top of the Riad overlooking the city and spent a great evening. The food was good and the setting breathtaking.

We arrived to the Riad with a rented car and had no problem finding a parking at the entrance of the Medina. From there it is a short walk to the Riad. The staff is also available to guide you and provided us with a easy to read map.

Our stay at Riad Le Calife was definitely one of the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. 2 in the Amethyst room and one in the Diamond suite.
The photos of the riad and rooms in their website speaks truthfully and is beautiful!!. The riad is charmingly and elegantly decorated with excellent staff, who make you feel comfortable and welcomed. Location is convenient, located in a square of the old town, just where the cars can drop you off (no vehicles are allowed further into the old city). It is just a few steps down the street if you want to explore the old markets and venture out yet the riad is tucked away and amazingly quiet from the hustle and bustle outside. Breakfast is served in the top balconies where you can enjoy the amazing view. We also took a guided tour offered by the riad by one of their 6 professional guides, which was excellent and highly recommended. I recommend this riad strongly!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful, personally i liked the Amethyst Room better than the Diamond suite. Not...
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I first visited Le Calife last October with a friend & couldn't wait to go back with my husband, who I knew would love it as much as I did! We spent 5 wonderful nights & are already looking forward to our next visit as soon as possible. Le Calife embodies hospitality, serenity & enchantment!! Yasmine & Alexandre have decorated it with taste & refinement & elegant attention to EVERY detail. They & their staff are the warmest & most attentive hosts we've ever come across in our extensive wordwide travels. Their riad is ideally located to explore the Medina & the rest of Fez, as well as the region, & they provide maps, advice & recommendations.
Breakfast is copious (no lunch needed) & Fatima's 3-course dinners represent the best of Moroccan gastronomy, both served on a rooftop terrace with a fabulous view of the city. One of the highlights of both stays was spending an aft. with her in the kitchen & watching her (& trying to help) prepare our evening meal. Another delight is having mint tea & oriental pastries in the patio in the aft. while listening to the fountain gurgle, the birds sing & enjoying the orange-blossom scented air. In fact, it's hard to pull yourself away from Le Calife to go out & explore Fez.

Room Tip: I've now tried the Opaline room & the Ruby & Diamond (amazing!!) Suites & can recomm...
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We were delighted to arrive at riad le Calife after travelling 5 days from Marrakech. We found the rooms to be truly amazing, pure luxury with every attention to detail. Perfect location to explore the medina, great views from the rooftop, yummy breakfast. The owner Alex and Yasmine and staff are helpful and extremely attentive, making the stay very personal. On suggestion we had dinner at Palais Faraj which had exceptional service and great views from terrace. A bit overpriced so I would suggest staying at the riad for dinner (based on other reviews) and perhaps visiting Palais for a drink. If traveling with kids note that there is no pool which the kids found disappointing. For us, it was by far our favourite riad in morocco and I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: We had diamond suite and another room on same level for kids. Perfect set up.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Hilary P
nb canada
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We spent 2 nights of our 8 day travels through Morocco at Riad Le Calife, 6 different Riads and this one was our favourite.

Fantastic views from the rooftop terrace, do book a dinner here, it is fantastic. Plus I am still dreaming of those amazing dates at breakfast....

Great location for exploring Fes.

You will not find friendlier people, from the owners to the staff.

Lots of nice personal touches that we did not experience anywhere else.

If we are fortunate enough to return to Fes we will definitely book here again, and will recommend to friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NBlobsterman
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2014

The Riad Le Calife is its own world - one of beauty and calm - in the midst of another world, the bustling, labyrinthine, challenging but fascinating old medina of Fez. The entire team at the Riad engage in a cheerful and helpful way to make your stay special from the moment you arrive to the time when you sadly must depart. We stayed in the Ruby suite and could not fault the room for size, decor or comfort. The attention to detail in furnishing the room is amazing.The room and indeed the entire Riad display the best of local artisans, antiquity and craft whilst still being comfortable and practical. However it is the the capacity of the owners and their staff to provide a friendly and genuine connection - great service without servitude - that ultimately makes this a special place. Don't forget to duck when entering from the Medina!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank leon c
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My trip from Sydney to Morocco was a spur of a moment decision and I made no firm arrangements. It was therefore pot luck that I picked Le Calife in Fes on the booking.com site once I completed my High Atlas and Erg Chebi desert adventure.

I travelled to many other locations in Morocco over my four weeks there but Riad Le Calife remains my favourite place for sleeping, eating, day tripping and taking in the medina views from the rooftop terrace. The location is wonderful- close to the medina yet peaceful and easily accessible.

I so enjoyed hearing the background story of the riad from Alex and Yasmine, its owners, and spent quite some time looking at the beautiful interiors and decorative pieces collected by them over the years in Paris and Morocco. The design and interior decorating is aesthetically pleasing throughout, in both private suites and the public areas (the courtyard, dining/breakfast room, reception and the rooftop terrace).

The Emerald suite on top floor was wonderful and comfortable- the tiled floors, the stained glass windows and window grilles and shutters combined with modern bathroom and super comfortable bed made for a wonderful stay.

Moving to food – Fatima is a kitchen artist (see photos) who creates dished that embrace and enhance the traditional Moroccan cuisine and she presents many of them with an imaginative twist. I chose to eat at the riad most evenings because the food was so good. It was also a good place to meet other travellers and I made several wonderful contacts with mutual standing invitations to visit.

Yasmine and Alex can be proud of their staff – Dua and the other reception lady (whose name now escapes me), were skilled and caring and made sure that my day tours including drivers and guides were well organised and reflected my needs and wants. Dua made a special trip up to my room to bid me farewell as she was going on her days off. The young male waiter (name?) was most attentive whether I was eating in the dining room or on the rooftop terrace. I was always grateful to be fetched from the square at the end of my adventures in the medina and the staff have always been courteous in the face of my obvious “directional deficiency”.

I would love to return either again by myself or with my husband and family. As the Moroccans say “Inshallah”.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo