“Nice Moroccan Dinner, Homey Riad”
Review of Dar Anebar - CLOSED

Dar Anebar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Dar Anebar's restaurant provides traditional Moroccan cuisine every day. Meals can be served in the open living-rooms surrounding the large patio, with trees and a central fountain. Guests can enjoy mint tea at the bar, or on the roof terrace overlooking the Medina.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just a short walk inside the medina, through safe alleys, this restaurant offered a memorable Moroccan evening. All of the tables are either on the courtyard or inside one of two rooms off the courtyard. The staff was very attentive, and the food good but not exceptional. The lights were turned low and the ambiance provided an enjoyable evening.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

The food quality did not match up to the price of 400 dirhams per person. As a global traveller, i find this to be on the high side. However, if you somehow ended up there you were probably trapped into a scam since it's quite out of the way. I found the atmosphere somewhat oppressive and dark while the food wasn't too impressive, just average. Hospitality was nothing to shout about either. We only obliged continuing with the meal because we were worried about being unable to get a cab back or being put in danger afterwards since like I said, it is somewhat out of the way, and we needed the cooperation of the restaurant to help get back, as with any other place you go in the labyrynthine fes el bali.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

On our last evening in Fez we wanted somewhere traditional and our concierge recommended this riad as Dar Roumana where we wanted to go was closed.
It is a truly stunning riad. Beautifully decorated and lovely family photos giving a real sense of tradition. Sadly when we went the courtyard roof was covered with a canopy so there was simply no air and it was stifling and very difficult to enjoy the food. There was music playing when we arrived which was a little oppressive too - mix between march and funeral procession type of music! Strange as I had not heard anything similar during my two weeks in Morocco.
First we had dates and dried figs and then came some harira soup. It was lovely. Mildly spiced but difficult to eat a lot in the hot surroundings. I am vegetarian so I had a vermicelli and vegetarian pastilla which was served with soy sauce and Tabasco (!) - it was very nice but rather strange combo. My family had quail pastilla which they reported to be lovely. Next I had a vegetarian couscous but what arrived was really very sweet caramelised onions on a mound of couscous and raisins. I did not like this. It made me gag. Avoid! My family had lamb tagine which was not served in a large tagine like we had had in other restaurants but individual portions so it was more like a casserole. I would question if it had been cooked in a tagine at all. Next came the dessert which was the loveliest and lightest I had eaten in all my trip. Wonderful circles of filo pastry fried and then layered like a French millefeuile with orange blossom cream. It was truly delicious and made up for the caramelised onions! We were asked if we wanted coffee or mint tea and we favoured the latter. So all in all the meal was ok but for 45 E each adult I would have liked some explanations from the staff on each of the dishes, some history perhaps of the riad when we arrived and a little more Attention. Our waiter was friendly enough when we asked questions but did not show the Moroccan hospitality we had experienced in other riads of this calibre.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

expensive and not worth going
food was average, but terrible service.
there are other much better places
do not go there

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We dined at this dar on a Monday night (perhaps this explains the quality of food) with high expectations given lonely planet write up and reviews. We were quite disappointed by the quality of the dishes (see detailed comments below).
The service was pleasant, but a bit inattentive. They walked us to the main street and hailed us a taxi which was appreciated.
The setting is beautiful in the dar with your choice of room (all nicely decorated), and they set up a heater which was fantastic!
Overall it was ok food, but for the price we expected more quality; we had better meals in Morocco at a fraction of the cost. Having said that, there was a huge quantity of food. Selection is limited so if you are a picky eater perhaps ask on the day what the menu is. There was no a la carte option.
A shame about this place because the other elements (setting and service) are great.. But it seems a passion for cooking has been lost somewhere along the way.
Detailed food comments: Of the four courses in the set menu (300 Dirham plus wine), none were great. The entree, soup plus dates/figs, was what I would expect from an average home cooked soup. There are excellent "b'sara" soups available in the Medina stalls for 6 Dirham, which put this one to shame. The second course was a pastilla (filled pastry) which was ok but too sweet to my taste. Main was a choice of tagines. My partner's lamb tagine was good, but my lemon chicken tagine (normally one of my favorite tagines) was one of the worst tagines I've had in Morocco- the 30 Dirham ones on the side of the road are much better. The chicken was dry (obviously not cooked in the sauce, probably rotisserie chicken with sauce dumped on top), and the sauce had no complexity of flavour, just super lemony. The dessert was a sweet pastilla with custard, which was actually one of the nicer courses but I found it to be quite a simple dessert for this price range.
I should mention we negotiated a cheaper price (original price 400 Dirham was a bit steep for us), and I'm unsure if we got a different menu than others who paid 400, but either way the quality was below par.