All reviewsjean claudesaffron suiterooftop terracethe ownerspecial placewe've stayeda wonderful place to staytrain stationfeel at homeold citysimovanillemedinamoroccotaxihearttouts
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We moved to Riad Laayoun after staying in a larger, elaborately restored riad in another section of the medina. While the other place was spectacular, I prefered the smaller Riad Laayoun as it had a more homely atmosphere and our individual needs were graciously catered for. Jean-Claude and Simo are friendly and charming hosts When my son had a mild bout of gastro, the staff went out of their way to get him yoghurt and make louisa tea. In fact it was a delight to be "stranded" in such a beautiful, tranquil place while he recovered. Jean Claude's superb music selection permeated the riad and the sun warmed the central courtyard while I caught up on emails and laundry. Laayoun is well located ïn the medina near R Cif and, within a few twist and turns, you can experience the sensory overload of the stalls selling fish, olives, fruit, orange blossom, spices, offal, snails... just wonderful! Breakfast was served on the roof terrace and each morning Simo presented us with a different style of Moroccan "bread". We also ate dinner at the riad a couple of times and enjoyed the delicious soup, tagines, salads and desserts. One of my favourite memories of Fes is spending sunset on the roof terrace listening to the call to prayer as the little birds darted about in the evening air and the first stars became visible over this ancient city.

Room Tip: If you don't like climbing steep stairs, ask for a room on the ground level. The bathroom is located on a mezzanine level within the suite.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sally B
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three days in April. This is a lovely, well kept riad and its just beautiful on the inside. Our room was the canneli suite which was a two story room with a sitting room and large second floor bathroom with nice big windows and a balcony overlooking the courtyard of the riad.

The service is also excellent. Jean-Claude is extremely helpful and friendly and spent a good half an hour trying to find us a last minute guide for the medina. Simon is always around to answer questions or to show you how to get from point A to point B.

Breakfast is served on the roof depending on the weather. Its a simple breakfast of baked goods and crepes and jams.

Word of warning--this place has lots of narrow, winding steps and no elevator so if you have trouble making stairs I would not recommend staying above the ground level. Also, as lovely as our room was the bathroom was located up the winding stairs in a loft--so if you have any qualms about privacy while using the restroom you might want to stay in another room.

Hints/Tips: The hotel provides shampoo, lotion, shower gel. You might want to bring condition and a clock since there isn't an alarm clock in the room. Riad also has wifi in the courtyard, but it doesn't work in the room unless you're standing in the doorway.

This riad is centrally located in the media and its about a minute walk to the souks. That said, the media is really, really dirty and stinky and you very well may walk out the door of the riad and directly into some donkey droppings (which is what I did the first day). That is just how Fes is, but I just wanted to warn those germ-phobes or travelers with weak stomachs! Also, the riad is about a 10 minute extremely confusing walk to a plethora of good, clean restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank isaleistar
Reviewed May 6, 2012

My wife and me stayed at Riad Laayoun 4 wonderful nights. We arrived by train and were picked up at the train station by the driver who took us to Place R'Cif where Simo waited for us already. He took us thru the maze of alleyways to the Riad (without him no way we would ever have found it). We were blown away by the beauty of this Riad. A spacious courtyard is the center part of the Riad with lovely decorated seating were you can have tea, read a book etc. 3 floors above there is a wonderful roof tarrace with a stunning view over Fez. Perfect spot to wait for sun to sink and listend to the evening prayer calls.
Everyone took care of us like family especially Jean-Claude the owner and Simo. Especially when I got sick and had to stay in bed for a whole day, everyone cared so much, running to the pharamcy to get medication and Simo made a special tea to help my stomach get better.
Not to forget Rachida the cook who prepared delicious dinners and breakfast for us.
Our room was on the first floor and very spacious. Everything was perfect.

Thank you Jean-Claude, Simo and Rachida for such a lovely stay. Merci beaucoup et a bientot en Fez!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My 15 year old daughter and I spent two nights with Jean-Claude Himbaut and his assistant Simo in March 2012. Jean-Claude arranged for a car to pick up at the train station and deliver us to the entrance to the Medina. Jean-Claude was waiting for us and greeted us warmly by name. He then portered our bags on the circuitous route to the Riad. Standing outside the door in the dimly lit souk, I began to wonder what we had gotten ourselves into. But the reviews had been very good. In truth, the reviews did not begin to capture the beauty and warmth that awaited us upon entering Riad Laayoun. It was beautiful. Soft, soothing music was piped throughout the lobby. Our spacious multi-level room was just off that same lobby. Jean-Claude took my daughter and me up the 50 very steep steps to the terrace overlooking the entire medina where we were treated to traditional Moroccan mint tea and cookies. That evening we shared a wonderful tangine dinner in the dining room. But the biggest treat was that Jean-Claude and Simo had noticed from a review of our passports that it was my daughter's 15th birthday and they presented her with a Napoleon with a candle and sang happy birthday to her. Made her day.

One bit of advice. Jean-Claude offered to obtain the services of a guide to take us through the medina. Having traveled to Marakkech before without the services of a guide I thought we would do fine without one. Two weeks before our trip I changed my mind and am I ever glad that I did. The souks of Fez are byzantine. With over 9000 souks within the walls you will become hopelessly lost and miss many of the wonderful sights if you do not utilize a guide.

Thanks to Jean-Claude and Simo for a wonderful Fez experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Stayed 4 nights in Jan/Feb in this beautiful riad. I also agree that it's the service which makes this riad stand out. Jean Claude was in France but Simo was the perfect host making the whole stay so easy. He provided maps and advice and also called arranged a guide for our first day round the very confusing medina. Stayed in the saffron suite on ground floor so rather cold since the ceiling are high and all the heat floats up to the bathroom on the mezzanine floor but must be great place to return to in hot weather. Rachida's meals are lovely and such a relief to not have to go out and be hassled by the ubiquitous faux guides. I would recommend this riad to anyone visiting Fes.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends