All reviews jean claude saffron suite rooftop terrace the owner a wonderful stay narrow streets made us feel at home old city simo guide medina morocco heart hosts taxi meknes courtyard
Reviewed November 3, 2011

As requested I was met at the rail station, taken by taxi to the main square where Jean-Claude was waiting for me ready to accompany me to his Riad which I had chosen from Trip Advisor reviews. In the midst of the bustle and chaos of the medina, Jean-Claude, a first rate host, has created a wonderful, elegant, comfortable and tranquil guest house. A refreshing welcoming glass of mint tea, a climb to the panoramic rooftop terrace with big views over the medina rooftops, before descending to the Saffron room, mine for the night. Dinner was good and home cooked clearly using ingredients fresh from the market. There is wifi that works! The following morning with unnerving accuracy Simo pointed me to the section of the myriad of medina streets to allow me to do last minute shopping, before the taxi (arranged by the riad) took me comfortably to the airport. A thoroughly agreeable stay, Thanks to Jean-Claude and his enthusiastic team, I happily recommend Riad Laayoun to any discerning traveller

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I can't really add anything more to the reviews already written about the Riad Laayoun, it really is an amazing place. Fes is up there with the best travel experiences I've had and I can't think of a nicer place to head back to after a long day of wandering around the alleys and haggling over a pair of pointy slippers.

Jean-Claude is a great man, from the photos in the hallway that capture the renovation of this Riad to what it is today, you can see a lot of hard work and passion has gone into this place and he deserves all the praise he is receiving... the Trip Advisor 2011 award plaque hangs proudly in the courtyard.

The Riad is amazing in itself, but for me the thing that made this stay extra special was Jean-Claude and his team. Simo gave us so much advice which not only helped us in Fes, but for the rest of our trip around Morocco. Rachida's cooking is amazing, one of the comments in the guestbook says it's the best in Morocco... I find it hard to disagree.

The thing that really topped it off was when Simo arranged a beautiful birthday meal for my girlfriend complete with flowers and a gift, I found it very hard to leave this place. It wasn't just a place to stay, but for a short time it felt like home.

Jean-Claude, Simo & Rachida... you are fantastic people!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank markosg
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This Riad is just amazing! The building and rooms are well presented and offer a great retreat from the Medina!
Would definitely recommend the food, and dinner at least one night is a must! The roof terrace is great to unwind on and talk away the days events.
As well as an authentic way of living, one of the best attributes is the staff. Jean Claude and Simon were just brilliant! From picking us up from the taxi to the daily interactions to see where we were going, they would always recommend places and most importantly help us with the routes to get there! This stay made our trip. Keep up the good work.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

My daughter and I spent two nights at Riad Laayoun in September... I chose the Riad from TripAdvisor comments and we were very pleased with our experience! I can't say enough about the helpfulness of Simo, the absolutely wonderful food prepared by Rachida, and the overall enthusiasm of Jean-Claude. We ate dinner at the Riad both nights in Fez - if you stay, don't miss the chance for Rachida's excellent meals! Simo helped us with maps and suggestions for our day in the medina, and made certain that we could find our way back to the Riad and could connect at any time by phone. Our room was comfortable and clean and the Riad itself is lovely... the roof terrace was a wonderful place to begin the day with breakfast and end the day relaxing while looking out over Fez. I would recommend Riad Laayoun for it's excellent food, clean and comfortable rooms, but most of all for the owner and his staff - it really did feel like coming home every time we came through the door... thank you again Jean-Claude, Simo, and Rachida for a memorable trip to Fez!

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I found this Riad on Trip Advisor and found it to be exactly as described. Quick response for reservations, Simo met us at taxi and carried my suitcase to Riad, and happily met all our expectations the 4 nights we stayed there. Interesting, diverse music selection. Had one dinner by Rachida which was great. Breakfasts and views on rooftop were splendid. It was quiet in this part of the medina. If "emplacement" catagory below means "location" then a couple of comments. This is a residentail part of the Medina, so very few foreigners and a distance to tourist areas. The path to the riad is typically labyrinthine and there's a hill. If this is your first trip to Res, then this introduces you to what to expect. This made Simo's help greatly appreciated, especially on arrival. We had the great pleasure of meeting Jean-Claude the last night. Mabrook on a wonderful Riad!

• Trip type: Traveled with family