“Excellent!”
Review of Dar Attajalli

Dar Attajalli
Ranked #30 of 101 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We spend 4 Nights in this amazingly renovated Riad in the heart of Fes.
It is a perfect spot to discover the city and its treasures and gives you at the same time a peaceful place to relax. After climbing the stairs you reach the wonderful roof top terraces where also the breakfast room is located. From here you have a nice view over the Medina and the outskirts where the tanners dry their leather.
We were travelling with our 11 Month old daughter (good parking is nearby) and in our big room as well as the other rooms she could perfectly crawl around. Even though during winter the temperatures in Fes can drop to around zero, the gas heater in the room kept us warm. And also the heartily staff working with Kleo makes you fell being at the right place.
Thanks for the pleasant time in Fes.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was a perfect retreat for my time in Fes.

In the first week of January 2014 I was the only hotel guest and Kleo (the owner) gave me a tour through the history of DarAttajalli, morocain architecture and guided me through the building.

This is really an amazing place. There are two different stairways, so that the younger son of the ancient morocain family, could leave at night and return to the house unseen. Kleo has a document-role, which reflects the owners of the house for the last 200 years, the house is certainly older. There is a fountain in the court yard - the tiles in the house are hand painted and every room has been renovated with a slightly mauve touch but - without overdoing it. Once I visited the Alhambra in Granada - living there in the 14th Century must have been like staying at Kleo's place in Fes.

Kleo and her team go to great length in order to garantuee an enjoyable and safe stay. Kleo is really helpful and supportive and provides great advice to her guests, she even supported two american friends in negotiating with some of the art dealers she knows. DarAttajalli certainly provided a level of service and support for my stay in Fes, which is unknown to most other guesthouses or Riads. (One night, far after midnight, Naim (he works for Kleo) left the DarAttajalli in order to pick me up at some other house, because they were concerned I would not have been able to find my way back).

Room Tip: In the winter time I would recommend a room with a lower ceiling height - but all rooms are beautifu...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Gerd G
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My partner and I originally planned to stay for a night or two, but instead stayed four nights.

Kleo's home, a restored Dar (like a Riad, but with a fountain inside) is absolutely stunning and the vegetarian food was wonderful. Our large and graciously appointed room was beautiful and Kleo took lots of time to make certain we were well taken care of both in the hotel and outside. She arranged for our Hammam as well as shopping expeditions and transfer to the train stations. We even went to dinner with her because we enjoyed her company so much.

Her small staff were very gracious and helpful as well, and the location (right inside the Medina) can't be beat

Room Tip: The Orange and the Purple Suites are lovely.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed at Dar Attajalli based on previous TripAdvisor reviews and I'm so glad I did. This beautiful Riad was perfect in every way. Firstly, the location is off the beaten path, far enough into Fes-el-Bali (old Fes) that it's away from the really touristy part by the Blue Gate, but not too far deep into the maze of streets that is old Fes. Secondly, the interior is stunning -- gorgeous interior courtyard, meticulously restored, with beautiful spacious guestrooms. The rooftop terrace has incredible views out over Fes (I'll never forget standing there one afternoon listening as the call for noon prayer echoed out over the city). Thirdly, great food: delicious breakfasts that are a mix of traditional Moroccan staples with Western items. And lastly, the staff: the owner Kleo and her staff Amina and Naim could not have been kinder or more helpful. It's also very private -- I know there were other guests staying there while I was, but I rarely saw them. And: great free wifi which was important to me as I was emailing photos home every night! Bottom line: the perfect place to stay if you want to experience old Fes. It's the kind of place that thinks of every detail. 5 stars in my book!

Room Tip: I don't remember the name of my room, but it was on the top floor and it was very spacious. And...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Our stay at this gorgeous Riad was a highlight of our trip to Morocco. We stayed in the Orange Suite and it was beautiful, clean, cosy and homely. The whole place was just amazing. The food was sensational, with a real focus on natural healthy eating. The breakfasts were excellent, being full of flavour, and provided such a variety of well presented Moroccan delicacies. We also were treated to lovely herbal teas picked from herbs grown at the Riad, and had the best dinner of our whole trip here in the candle lit, roof top dining room. Kleo provided us with yoga mats, helped us with taxis, packed us a breakfast for an early morning flight, and always made sure we were always okay. This Riad is immaculate, there were so many lovely touches, and I truly looked forward to escaping back here in the afternoons and evenings. I would not stay anywhere else in Fez, and hope to come back and stay sometime again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is a beautifully restored riad that is run to perfection whilst still maintaining individuality and charm. The rooms are beautifully decorated in an authentic morroccan style but with your every creature comfort taken care of. The food was excellent, being heavily focused on what's in season, fresh and of good quality. There is a real focus on healthy and balanced living which is reflected in some beautiful herbal teas and homemade nibbles that are served on a stunning terrace which over looks the city. Kleo and her staff could not have been more helpful and we really valued their knowledge, suggestions and the effort that they put into our stay being so enjoyable. My experience of fes is that it is a vibrant, fun and chaotic assault on the senses and this riad is the perfect sanctuary to unwind in and help you appreciate the best of the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I would have loved to have given Dar Attajalli as effusive a review as some of these others, and that did look quite likely at first. Ultimately, however, I came away feeling more negative than I’d hoped.

The mauve room was very quiet and nice, the house is lovely and in a good location in the medina, the staff were great, and transfers from the train station and to the airport were hassle-free (including at 3.30 am, which I really appreciated). The owner also provided a pretty clear map of the medina, was helpful when it came to directions to various places, and arranged a very good guide for my first day.

I chose Dar Attajalli because I’m vegetarian and thought this might be a problem in Morocco (plenty of vegetables but the concept of vegetarianism per se a bit trickier). The dinners were lovely, but I wasn’t told how much they would cost and, my bad, I didn’t think to ask, assuming it wouldn’t be too much. But at US$30 per meal it really was, adding $120 to my bill. During a subsequent email exchange the owner apologized that she’d forgotten to tell me the price.

I would still recommend Dar Attajalli, but would also recommend making sure you get all extra costs upfront, including for dinners, guides, etc.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank NYC-Vegetarian
Attajalli, Owner at Dar Attajalli, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear guest

We were sorry to hear your disappointment as whilst staying here you kept saying how you felt like a princess. You also thanked us profusely for our generosity, for including you in social gatherings like art openings and dinners with friends, and making exceptions for solo in-house dining as you were a single traveller who didn't feel comfortable walking in the medina alone at night. We were happy to do all this for you.

Guests often say that our dinners are a highlight of their stay. They are lovingly prepared freshly to order and are a generous four course / 8 plate feast, well priced for the high quality.
There are no "hidden" costs at Dar Attajalli, that is not our philosophy. As you had booked dinner by email before even confirming the room, we didn't send a further email with costs for dinner and we indeed apologize that this got forgotten.
We are very sorry though that we not fully understand your complaint as on the first night of your arrival you were told the total price of the room and dinner. This included the special discount we were offering you as a single traveller. You then chose to eat in-house several nights after knowing this price. But maybe indeed we should have reminded you and repeat the price before every dinner. Thank you for pointing out that this might be necessary.

We still hope that the nice memories will prevail…