“A blissful oasis!”
Review of Dar Attajalli

Dar Attajalli
Ranked #28 of 100 Hotels in Fes
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I cannot express how amazing this dar is! Not only are the rooms beautiful and immaculate, but the service and hospitality were unmatched by anywhere I have ever stayed. Kleo and her staff were fantastic and I immediately felt at ease, despite the chaos of the Fez medina. My only regret is that we could not stay longer. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Staying at this hotel recently really gave me a genuine experience of living in the Medina (the old city) of Fez. Obviously a lot of thought has gone into designing everything here. I felt very well looked after. All the staff and the owner are charming. I might make special mention of the breakfast, which is unlike any other I've had and also obviously has had a lot of thought put into it. Also it's worth mentioning the great terrace from where there's a beautiful view.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

What an amazing experience and what an amazing hostess!!! Kleo spent three years restoring Dar Attalalii and it is exquisite. As others have said, it was restored with sensitivity, creativity and love. Everything about it was delightful. We chose a room with a bathtub and it was long, wide and there was plenty of hot water! Only at Dar Attalajii????

The terrace, where we had our breakfast and two of our dinners, was peaceful and beautiful with lovely plants and shrubs. And the meals! Nowhere else in Morocco and we were there for 3 1/2 weeks, did we have breakfasts or dinners like those at Dar Attajalli. Perhaps the most memorable meal was the vegetarian tagine with quince but both breakfast and dinner started with a wonderful assortment of what could best be called "befores".

Kleo had said, in e mails we exchanged before our visit, that we did not need a guide to navigate the souks in Fes and she was totally right. She gave us a wonderful map which made it very easy to wander around, pointed out the special places we might want to visit, including a truly beautiful medersa, and off we went! No problems at all and none, repeat none of the hassling that I had read about in many places. A pleasant "La, shokran" and a gentle wave of my hand was respected everywhere. So, when you go to Fes, be brave and try wandering through the souks on your own. If we did get a bit lost, I found that approaching any of the people in any of the souks, saying "Assalamu aleikum" and then showing them the map worked just fine.

Both Kleo and her staff were wonderfully hospitable and we certainly recommend staying with her. We will certainly do that ourselves if we return to Fes

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We spent the first two weeks of October in Morocco, travelling to several different towns. Thinking back, we feel that Fez and Dar Attajalli have made a unique impression on us. Kleo is the perfect hostess, generously sharing her beautiful taste for food and design with her guests. The large and delicious breakfast served on the terrace is unmatched. She also offers exciting and very tasty vegetarian dinner, which we do recommend. We followed Kleo's recommendations for Fez restaurants and for hiring a car and driver for the rest of our trip. We are so glad we did so! Our daugther of 7 is in love with Kleo even though she couldn't communicate in any of the several languages that Kleo speaks. Dar Attajalli made Fez the perfect stay and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was a unique experience: staying in the heart of the Medina in this beautifully restored dar. The owner, Kleo, has exquisite taste, and has spared no effort in her design of the Dar Attajalii. Her attention to detail means that I not only got to enjoy what it's like living in the Medina, but felt truly pampered by Kleo and her beautiful staff. It's not just the decor, but every detail. For example, great thought has gone into the breakfast experience, which is a very special one - a veritable Moroccan feast. Although the rooms are lovely of course, the piece de resistance is the beautiful terrace, where I spent many peaceful hours, gazing out over the Medina.

Room Tip: Ask Kleo about your preferences
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at Dar Attajalli for 4 glourious days. I have lived in Morocco for years and have visited Fez 4 times before but I was still not prepared for Dar Attajalli. It is a magnificent old Fez Riad, restored to it's former glory with sensitivity, creativity and love by Kleo.
The house was wonderful with great views from the terrace that was filled with butterflies and birds. Our rooms were palatian and we felt like pashas, though I love Fez, once you are in Dar Attajalli it is difficult to go out. Though it is very centrally situated and you can walk everywhere.
The food was delicious and decorated with rose petals by Naim. i could hardly wait to run up the steps for my breakfast each morning.
We were treated with great kindness and Kleo was very knowledgeable. I learned more about Fez in one eveing with Kleo than I had on all my previous trips.
We are coming again and I have recommended Dar Attajalli and Fez to my family and friends.
It sounds terribly gushing but once tasted I could not stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed at this Riad last year as part of a great trip through Morocco with Beyond Travel. Located in the heart of the medina, this Riad has been amazingly restored in traditional Moroccan style. Kleo (the owner) and her staff were great, and the meals on the roof terrace were an incredible array of fabulous vegetarian food. The ground floor (see photos) had lounging areas with lots of magazines, books and guides on Fez and Morocco. Very relaxing place. Fantastic location. Staff were great.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple