“Touristy but still fun.”
Review of Rick's Cafe

Rick's Cafe
Ranked #5 of 843 Restaurants in Casablanca
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Rick's Cafe Casablanca is a restaurant, bar and cafe located in the city of Casablanca, Morocco. Opened March 1, 2004, the place was designed to recreate the bar made famous by Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in the movie classic Casablanca. Set in an old courtyard-style mansion built against the walls of the Old Medina of Casablanca, the restaurant - piano bar is filled with architectural and decorative details reminiscent of the film: curved arches, a sculpted bar, balconies, balustrades as well as beaded and stencilled brass lighting and plants that cast luminous shadows on white walls. There is an authentic 1930's Pleyel piano and As Time Goes By is a common request to the in-house pianist
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had a last group dinner at Ricks with 11 people which is never easy, but Ricks staff is used to it and evening went smoothly. Good food, good service, very pretty place and good atmosphere. You are paying for the name and atmosphere, but I thought it was a fun way to wrap up our trip. You can probably find the same food for 15-20% less somewhere else, but I enjoyed the experience. Again, check for smokers. Cigar smoker at next table was kind enough to stop with a polite request.

There are newer reviews for Rick's Cafe

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Waiters are very attentive. Beautiful cafe and I walked around both upstairs and downstairs to take photos. Gorgeous bar area and drinks were very good. Food was some of the best that we've had in our 15 day stay in Morocco.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My partner and I booked to go here for dinner. We knew from reviews that it was not the genuine article but looked forward to some reasonable food and the pianist.

It was a huge disappointment. We ordered our food which came with indifferent verging on the rude service. The food was mass produced and very poor. But we were there for atmosphere and the place not a gourmet experience so we were not too put off.

However after an hour or so no pianist appeared so we asked where he was, only to be told he wasn't playing as he was tired!

We expressed concern noting that we had come in part for the "experience" and the staff were dismissive, informing us they had had a great night the evening before with a live band. We asked to speak to the manager and were told he was not there! We then said we would not pay the service charge as they had been so dismissive and not provided the promised entertainment. They became very unpleasant saying that it was our responsibility to check if the pianist would be there, they had no obligation to inform us!

All in all a very disappointing evening. They made no effort to create an ambience and had no interest in service, they do not deserve to continue. Avoid at all costs!

1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed June 24, 2013

It is locates in the old area of Casa so when you enter the restaurant you are immediately transported to another place. The atmosphere was serene but the service was bad! Waiters did't care and it would take forever to ask for something. But the food was really good. I ordered fish with black rice which surprised me and would surely make me visit again. This is the only restaurant I visited that had an English menu!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

If you liked the classic movie "Casablanca" do not spoil the movie by visiting Rick's Cafe. There is NOTHING that even slightly resembles the movie cafe, staff, drinks - even no upright piano! It's a modern restaruant with a classic name. Our party of 6 seasoned travelers visited on 5 June and no one would ever consider returning, nor would they recommend it. It is specifically a tourist trap rip off! We didn't expect a replica, but at least the feel of the classic movie cafe. The waiter wearing a fez was more than just extremely rude. He could have cared less that we were there and when he "tossed" us the drink menu we almost got up and left. But we were there so decided to give it a go. A mistake. We ordered drinks, me the house speical which was "OK" though I felt it was watered down. Others in our party likewise felt their drinks were poor. When seated we emphasized that though we were a party of 6 the checks would be separtate and could we have snacks for each couple. When snacks were served the waiter brought only one small bowl of dip and olives. When I politely pointed out that other groups of 4 and 6 at near by tables each had 2 or 3 small bowls of the same dip and olives, asking if we could likewise have 2 more. He made a face, threw up his arms making it very clear we were "difficult." When leaving, which could not have been fast enough, I politely spoke to the manager about the waiter and on his request pointed him out. He shrugged his shoulders offering me a complimetnary drink. I said, "No thank you, that I was extremely disappionted in the cafe, the drinks, and the service and planned to write a negative review." His comment was, "Do what you want!" Our party are experienced travelers but this was absolutely the worst establishment as to service, atmosphere and drinks we have seen. It may have good Moroccan food, we chose not to order. But as to being Casablanca Rick's Cafe - it is a total toursit rip off! Don't waste your time or money!

1  Thank gladbags