“Not so much”
Review of Oum Palace Hotel

Oum Palace Hotel
Ranked #56 of 77 Hotels in Casablanca
Reviewed January 21, 2010

After a fabulous train ride from Fes, we were excited to spend the last 3 nights of our vacation in Casa. We had one full day, which turned out to be plenty of time for this large, dirty city. If you're still contemplating whether to visit Casa on your trip to Morocco, trust me, you can skip it.

We arrived at this hotel in the evening after being completely hosed by a taxi driver who refused to use his meter. The front desk gal seemed to be completely clueless as to what hotel she was even working in! She gave us a room key in a card that was sticky and disgusting, so I had to wrap a pamphlet around it. We went to the room and saw that it had 2 tiny beds, so we went back down to the front desk to let the girl know what we had reserved a room with 1 bed. She insisted that it was the only room available in the hotel. I told her that we were on our honeymoon and had reserved a room with one bed. Thankfully, a manager came over and, what do you know, a room with a king bed was available! So we went back upstairs to see what awaited us after staying in beautiful riads (and a freezing cold trekkers' lodge in a gorge) for the last 10 days.

The room looked like it was from a bad 70s sitcom. It was clean, but that's about all I can say for it. It had putrid green curtains and an awful bedspread that was also the blanket. The bed was comfortable, but I was weirded out at using the nasty bedspread as a blanket. In the room was one towel. Now, if you've read any of my other reviews then you know how anal I am about having an adequate amount of towels. But one??? Come on. So we had to ask for more towels, which, not unlike the other places we stayed throughout Morocco, we had to ask for every night we were there. And since the night girl who checked us in was completely clueless, each time we asked for towels on the phone she sent a service person to the door to figure out what we wanted.

Speaking of towels, allow me to describe the bathroom/shower. Yes, I put those words together because they were actually together. In fact, I haven't seen such a strange bathroom since I was in Tokyo. It was a small room with a sliding glass door, and in that room was a toilet, a sink, and a small square with a drain that had a hand-held shower head above it. And of course by shower, I mean the broken device that had a light drip of water coming out of it when you turned it fully on. That's about all I have to say about that.

The daytime gal was a bit more with it, and even recognized my name when I asked her if the package that I was expecting had arrived (it had). She was also very nice in giving me a map of the city (which the night gal claimed the hotel didn't have) and explaining where we were on it.

They did have a computer, but it took exactly 18 minutes just to get a window to load, so don't expect to check email at the hotel.

As with other places we stayed, the housekeeping staff likes to decide where your stuff should go, so be sure to check all drawers and closets before you check out since they will put your things in places other than where you left them.

The hotel does have its own hammam, which was nice since I didn't feel like taking a taxi to the one that was recommended to me by a friend. Having nothing to compare it to, the hammam was very interesting and nice. The massage wasn't great, though.

I should also mention that if you're hungry and don't feel like walking far, the upstairs restaurant at the Restaurant des Fleurs across the street is a great, if slightly expensive, option, so long as you don't mind eating in a smoke-filled haze. Best Cous-Cous Royale we had!

Overall, I think that I would rather have stayed in an American chain hotel than the Oum Palace, which is saying a lot for this traveler who avoids chains like the plague.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amyj1276

Reviewed October 25, 2009

Stayed just one night, on our way out of Morocco and were pleasantly surprised. It is clean, newer and comfortable. After two weeks of iffy and varied accommodation it was nice to stay at a more modern hotel. The front desk even arranged a meeting with the taxi driver who was to pick us up at 4am to take us to the airport so that we wouldn't get in a car with a stranger! Little English is spoken by the staff. They offered to keep the hammom open late so that we could visit it (even though we opted not to at the last minute). Didn't try the restaurants as they were empty, but instead walked across the street to the Meridien and had a perfect dinner in the Blue-Waterfall room.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Stayed here for one night after arriving in Morocco and one before leaving again. Very much agree with all the other previous reviews. Reception fine, friendly and helpful enough. Not great english spoken but enough to get by. Buffet breakfast was OK but nothing special. Located not far from car hire offices (do not use Thrifty by the way!) and close to the medina as well. Definitely recommended for the price/location.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2009

Our tour group stayed at the Oum Palace for two nights. While not luxurious, it was okay, Our room had three single beds, a mini-fridge, small flat-screen TV, desk and chair. There was good lighting, but not comfortable chairs on which to sit and read. There were no room-darkening shades.

The small bathroom had a slippery tub with no safety rails, and it was hard to get in. Towels were adequate.

The buffet breakfast was not sumptuous, but it was sufficient.

• Stayed: March 2009
2  Thank coffeemavenswife
Reviewed August 10, 2008

The Oum Palace was a pleasant hotel. The room was simple and clean. The lobby area was small and fine but it does not compare to the other five star hotels in the area: Sheraton and Royal Monsour Meridien - their lobbies are amazing and also their hotel prices reflect this. The Oum Palace was fine. We stayed here for two nights during the summer. The airconditioning was good - we found some other hotels in Morocco with poor air conditioning in the room so we really appreciated this as it is very hot in Morocco in the summer. The hotel is centrally located in the city center. The prices for our stay were reasonable and the staff was accomodating. I would stay here again. I used Superbreak to book this hotel and all went smoothly.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 23, 2008

I stay in Oum Palace whenever I travel to Casablanca!
It's a cosy place, near to the business area of Casablanca, close to all the airlien companies, and the main travel agencies, 5***** hotels like Hyatt Regency and Meridien Royal Mansour
An average 4 stars, new, clean...
If u'll ask for a room in the 4th floor u won't be disapointed!
The rooms are excellent, but not very ventilated, u kinda feel some troubles in breathing if u usualy have this health problem, unless u'll have a street view room, then u can open the window and feel the air!!
The hall is very narrow however, the restaurant is good but not excellent, the diner buffet is not rich (but honestly I came back to the hotel late so I found nothing interesting in the buffet)
The staff is friendly, but you have to be very clear with them when u talk, because sometimes they misunderstand you!
It's a good 4 stars hotel, I can say that it's th best quality/price report in Casablanca, I can't suggest another 4**** as clean and cosy as this hotel, that's it!
It's also close to "Casa Port" train station, to the Medina of Casblanca, the city center, and the main streets and banks
the port is not far as well

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Todiscover
Reviewed October 23, 2007

I stayed at Oum Palace Hotel in September and I really liked it.

I do a lot of business travel and often I find the reception areas is
lovely but the rooms are shabby in comparison, but my room was large,
clean, of a high standard and looked exactly like the one on the website! Also the staff were very friendly and helpful, though the restaurant service was unpredictable as on the one evening it closed at 9.15pm when they said they were open until 11pm. Also whilst I stayed I had a massage and manicure and though it was nothing fancy, again the staff were friendly and the treatments were really good.

The location is also excellent for exploring Casablanca and especially for the shopping – the hotel is less than 5 minutes walk from the medina and everything else downtown is within walking distance. To get to mosque or to the beach though you’ll need to go by taxi, but they are really easy to find and cheap.

Only one issue is the street names are changing all the time and it took my taxi driver ages to find it as the hotel is new and street name on my booking form was not the one it is known by locally! But if you call them ([--]) they will give you the correct address!

3  Thank HannahBLondon