“Such a Disappointment Really”

Novotel Casablanca City Center
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Casablanca
Moscow
“Such a Disappointment Really”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Compared to European Novotels this one is surprise in the field of deception. Flaws come in big numbers unlike advantages. Service almost absent, awful breakfasts (no choice whatsoever, we could eat potatoes and tomatoes only, bad coffee, terribly uncomfortable seats & tables, not enough of them for all guests), shabby rooms & corridors, horribly shapeless pain making pillows, old thin hard towels, minibar announced but empty, conditioning not working at all - we were lucky we visited Casablanca early March. Only view from the window was on plus side.

Room Tip: highest floor
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stas S
Hakim M, Directeur général at Novotel Casablanca City Center, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear,

Thank you very much indeed for having taken the time to write your opinion in Tripadvisor and to express your satisfaction following your stay at Novotel Casa City Center

I feel very much sorry for the inconveniences.

I wish to assure you that I have taken the appropriate actions to make sure that no other guests experience those types of regretful.

I certainly would be very pleased to see you again on a next visit at Casablanca.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Switzerland
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Before leaving for Casablanca I read the reviews here and wondered what I was getting myself in to. I can't understand the reviews that say that the staff are unprofessional or that the hotel is shabby. My experience was that the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Service was fine. In fact my room service delivery came far faster than in many hotels I have stayed in and when I requested more laundry bags these were delivered immediately.

I liked the bedroom layout. It was modern furniture and the lighting was good. I particularly liked the fact that the toilet was separate from the bathroom. The room was also spotlessly clean.

All in all I had no complaints.

Room Tip: Naturally ocean facing with a good view of the Hassan II mosque.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hakim M, Directeur général at Novotel Casablanca City Center, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear ,

First I would like to thank you for choosing le Novotel Casa City Center.

I will not hesitate to share your comments with my whole team.

I am satisfied that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel, and I hope to welcome you home again.

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Novotel is the mid building of three Accor hotels (Sofitel, Novotel, Ibis), those stand side by side, in just south area of Casa Port railway station.
Also near to Port de PECHE (fish market).

But …Different service from other Novotels I ever stayed.
At the Reception, and in restaurant, you would wait 10 minutes everytime.
Also, your order would be ignored, except such a simple tiny one.
Incredibly, you could have similar experience at Sofitel next door.
Next time, I would avoid Accor in Casablanca.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Homestead, Florida, United States
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Visited this hotel as part of an wonderful trip prepared by Gate 1 travel and had the most fascinating experience with husband and friends. The whole trip was a unique experience that I recommend to any of my friends and family. I would love to repeat my trip, but always via Gate 1 travel.com. Thank you, Gate 1

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear,

First I would like to thank you for choosing Le Novotel Casa City Center.

Thank you very much for your message. I appreciate that you take time to give us your positive feed back!

I will not hesitate to share your comments with my whole team.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you in the very near future!

Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Since 2008 I have been traveling frequently to Casablanca for business and stayed numerous times per year at the Novotel hotel, each time for a few days up to a week (and often booking several rooms for myself and colleagues). In the past couple of years I noticed that the quality of service has been degrading down to a level that became too unacceptable in my previous stay in February 2014, while the rates are becoming more expensive every time.

I was traveling with a coworker who had never been to Casablanca before, and had booked a superior room (as opposed to standard room) for each of us. Upon check-in, she was granted indeed a superior room facing the ocean on the 16th floor, and I as a frequent guest was granted what appeared to be a standard room on the 11th floor facing an ugly construction site and parking lot in the other direction. Besides it was a smokers room! I immediately asked to get the superior room that I had booked and especially a non-smoking room (again as it had been booked), but was informed that the hotel was fully booked and it would not be possible that night. Only the next day I would be able to get another room.

The next evening I arrived at the hotel after a full day of meetings and had to request the keycard to my new room. Being already a guest at the hotel I naively imagined that I wouldn’t have to wait in line at the check-in desk but apparently I was wrong. After a full 20 minutes of waiting, I could finally get my key. Can you imagine that there is only one front desk employee in such a hotel at 7pm, when most flights have landed and dozens of people are checking in!

I was expecting some apologies from the staff, like maybe a simple fruit basket in my room or some pastries (which usually come standard in a superior room there), but I got nothing of this. Besides, slippers were missing in the room, which I requested to the front desk before having diner. After diner when I came back to my room, there were still no slippers. With another phone call to the reception, I was informed that slippers were out of stock at the hotel and that I couldn’t get any. The receptionist didn’t even bother apologizing for the inconvenience. Apparently, slippers and a bathrobe (and a higher floor) are the only difference between normal and superior rooms, and you pay quite a premium for this. That was not acknowledged by the staff and I still did pay the full price for superior rooms despite no slippers and a night on a lower floor in a smoker’s room.

The breakfast room is a joke as it is way too small for when the hotel is fully booked. The first day I had to walk around the breakfast room for a solid 10 minutes to find a table where I could sit! Once seated, my eggs had turned cold and I had to wait another 10 minute before some staff would come and clean the table and set it for me. On my second morning there, it was slightly better: I walked around for 8 minutes and waited 8 minutes to get the table set.

The staff is extremely impolite, not trained and has no sense of customer service whatsoever (that being at the front desk and the breakfast room). It’s like they do not care at all about anything that is happening to their guests. I haven’t had a single apology from any staff member during the entire stay for all the inconvenience that I had suffered from.

Upon departure I requested to speak to the hotel’s Director, who I was told was not available. Instead I got to talk to a Sales Manager who appeared to be one of the rudest persons working in this hotel. She barely listened to my “story”, constantly looking around but never at me. Then she offered to go pick up a business card to give it to me so that I can contact her before my next trip. It took her more than 5 minutes to come back with the business card, as she started discussing with other people (like I had nobody waiting for me to drive me to the airport). While giving me her card, she did not apologize oncee, but instead said that she’ll check if I’m really as I say a frequently returning customer, and if it appears to be true (seriously?!!), we can arrange a deal on the fare for my and my coworkers next stay. What can you answer to something like this? I just shrugged and left.

So after several years of noticing a huge degradation in service level at Casblanca’s Novotel hotel, I finally decided that this would be the very last stay there. I will not return there anymore. I am sure that there are several hotels in Casablanca with far better service, cheaper rates, newer rooms and friendly staff who will be very happy to welcome my business.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you can, the only good thing there is the location, but there are plenty hotels...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hakim M, Directeur général at Novotel Casablanca City Center, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear,

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations with us following your stay at Novotel Casa City Center

I have taken note of your comments regarding all the issues you have mentioned and would like to express my sincerest apologies, kindly Know that i will not hesitate to share your comments with my whole team.

I hope this incident will not leave you with a bad impression of the Novotel Casa City Center and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again very soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us and please accept our sincerest apologies

Best Regards.

Travelers are raving about these Casablanca hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Novotel Casablanca City Center for the 2nd time at the start of 2014, having previously stayed there a few months prior (please see my previous review).

It is a crying shame that problems I encountered during my previous visit have not been rectified.

As you can gather, the hotel is well located, near the Place de Nations Uniés tramway stop, Casa Port train station (for journeys to Rabat - use Casa Voyageurs for journeys to Marrakech), next to a few small shops and currency exchange bureaus, etc.

As previously stated in my older review, the hotel is OK for a quick stop off or a few days at maximum.

The reception staff are inept, untrained and do not know how to handle guests. There is a lack of proficiency in English. Hicham on reception, who works nights/early mornings, is a pleasant man but this cannot be said for the others.

Security staff outside the hotel are rude and give dirty looks for no reason.

The hotel is generally neglected. There appears to be no presence of management, motivation for staff or leadership. The rooms are in dire need for a renovation.

If only the staff could be as nice as the Sofitel (their sister hotel) next-door.

Some other points:

- I have finally solved the conundrum of what the difference is between standard and superior rooms: Standard rooms - low floor and no bathrobe. Superior rooms - higher floor with a bathrobe. (They charge considerably more for the 'luxury' (haha) of a bathrobe).

- A 500ml bottle of water will be left for you for the first night but nothing thereafter.

- The towels are paper thin.

- The housekeepers are generally rude.

- Carpets are shabby.

P.S. I bet I am going to be fobbed of with a generic, copy/paste response from the General Manager like every other reviewer on here.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank rko21
Hakim M, Directeur général at Novotel Casablanca City Center, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Casablanca City Center. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in January 2014 on our way to Marrakesh. Upon arrival, our room was not clean (there was stuff lying on the floor) so we had to switch rooms. Certain things were good such as the internet service and buffet breakfast, but the hotel's service was only so-so as several times I waited unnecessarily for assistance. The biggest goof was the hotel's telephone system. We requested a wake-up call on the date of our departure which did not occur. Our travelling companions tried calling our room, however the phone did not work. As a result of having to rush out, we did not notice that the hotel did not return the 50 dirham deposit on the voltage converter that we returned at checkout. This oversight left us wondering if the hotel had done this on purpose or they made an honest mistake. The sad reality is that just because you come from a western country you are made to accept different prices and conditions than other visitors. We left with a bad taste and feeling for this hotel. I do not recommend it for others.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Shawn K
Hakim M, Directeur général at Novotel Casablanca City Center, responded to this review, February 7, 2014

I feel very much sorry for the inconveniences.

Please accept my sincere apologies.