“Great location, good quality, one point off for bad air conditioning.”

Novotel Casablanca City Center
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Casablanca
Los Angeles, California
“Great location, good quality, one point off for bad air conditioning.”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I gave this hotel one point lower for no air conditioning during the winter time. Apparently they can only have either heat, or air conditioning, but not both, to the rooms. So in winter they only turn on the heater, and when your room is stuffy, you turn the thermostat to air conditioning, you only get heat. I was told to "open the window", which is unacceptable in a western business traveller class hotel. This hotel owned by the Accor chain of France should know better than this. The other appurtenances of the hotel are acceptable quality, with free Internet location in the lobby which is appreciated. The decor in the lobby could use some redecorating. It's not old, it's just bad, it's like 70's kitsch. The breakfast buffet is good. If you get a western facing room on an upper floor, you will get a delightful view of the sunset and you can see all the way to the giant Hassan II Mosque. The hotel is one block walking distance to Pizza Hut, Mcdonalds, and the Souk of Casablanca. There area string of souvenir stores in front of the hotel also. You can easily get a taxi at the taxi stand in front of the hotel Negotiate your cab rate to the airport (check with the hotel concierge the current going rate beforehand) before you start out as the airport is VERY FAR from the city, more than 1 hour drive. You can also negotiate a cab ride to Rabat if you need, or take the train, as the trains in Morocco are all modern and European standard. I would not walk in this area at night as you are in the port. Room service is expensive at this hotel, but in a pinch, worth it. I recommend going to the restaurant downstairs instead. Wifi does not reach the rooms. If you are low on funds, the hotel will give you enough for the transfer to the airport and add it to your bill. Ask about it. I would wait until Marrakech for shopping for your Morocco trip, there isn't much to buy in Casablanca, and it isn't worth getting mixed up in this very crowded and chaotic city. But the Hassan II Mosque is a must see for any visit, and then the beach area south of it there are many restaurants and you can swim in the ocean there. It's called the corniche, and I recommend both for your visits. Don't waste your time on the Souk, there 100 times better choices in Marrakech and Fes. Careful for pickpockets in any tourist city of Morocco.

Room Tip: Ask for west facing room on upper floor for sunsets and view of the Hassan II Mosque. Get extra mon...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Good localization, average breakfast, rooms very small and bathroom too small also. The relation quality/price is good. A little bit noisy. Internet is ok, persons in hotel are gentle and helpfull. it's placed in the heart of the city so it's easy the mobility. easly to catch taxi outside.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Novotel was very comfortable and clean and almost an "oasis" in the heart of this noisy, bustling city. Only regret was not having more time to savour the Novotel and to explore this fascinating metropolis?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AvDav-Gmail
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I booked 2 superior rooms (one city view, one sea view which is more expensive) for one night via the internet but did not receive a confirmation due to a technical error.The credit card company called while I was on my way to the airport to inform me that the transaction was cancelled so I called the hotel to reinstate the booking. Service was slow and I was put on hold numerous times even though I had given my reservation number.I'm not sure if it was a bad reception or if staff did not understand as I had to repeat myself again and again. Finally,the staff said that my credit card was declined and she needed to make a new reservation. Although I told her that I was running out of time (and credits), she did not seem to act with a sense of urgency. The line got cut off and I received an email on board the plane to say that the reservation had been cancelled. When I arrived in Dubai eight hours later, I called again to enquire about the reservation but the gentleman who answered the phone could not find my booking in the system. I requested that he made bookings for 2 rooms asp the reservation number provided and to arrange for a car to pick us up from the airport. He assured me that would be done. When we arrived in Casablanca, there was no car because "your credit card was declined". We got there in a taxi and funny enough, my credit card worked fine! I made another reservation for our last day in Morocco and had wanted to pay in cash upon check out but front desk charged the room to my credit card without my knowledge, resulting in my losing out in currency exchange at the airport. Quite disappointing for a Novotel brand.

Room Tip: Request for a higher floor with sea view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank malkovic78
Cape Town
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I booked my accomodation on the internet and was quoted 161 EUROS for TWO nights without breakfast ( which I considered reasonable since the walk in rate is 160 euros per night. On arrival the check in officer (Yusuf) was very matter of fact and terse.I requested a sea facing room but was informed that my booking did not allow for one. The room was fine ,TV chanells for the English speaking were very limited.The big PLUS was the hot beverages supplied in the room and their readiness to replenish stocks.This facility was NOT available in any of the subsequent hotels visited in RABAT, FEZ, or MARRAKECH.The staff varied from indifferent to good (especially Mr ELKABIR in the restaurant)
The hotel was very well located, near to the Souks , the Main Street in Casablanca, the fresh produce market, and the King Hassan Mosque.There are many reasonably placed restaurants and within walking distance.

I have left the worst for last. On arriving home I discovered that my credit card was debited for 181 EUROS for the two nights stayed. I immediately telephoned the hotel from South Africa and spoke to KOUTHAR who requested that I put my complaint in writing. TWO WEEKS HAVE PASSE AND IN SPITE OF A FOLLOW UP E- MAIL I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THE NOVOTEL

Room Tip: Make sure your booking allows for sea facing rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Goosain
Wharton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here as part of a tour group.This was a nice hotel within walking distance to many places to eat. The free wifi is a little spotty. I couldn't always get on. I like that the shower and toilet were separate. Plugs are not convenient if you want to use a blowdryer or curling iron. There is no mirror in front of the desk in the room only by the door or in the bathroom, but no outlets in the bathroom. So if you want to dry or curl your hair you have to stand and do it near the door. This didn't bother me but my roommate was a little annoyed. I would stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DBrownCT
Shanghai, China
Reviewed October 27, 2012

After having had a bad experience in another hotel of the same category in Casablanca on our first night in Morocco, we decided to try out Novotel City Centre for our last night. We booked a Superior room w. queen-size bed and sea view at 1485 MAD/night without breakfast. We mainly chose this hotel due to its convenient proximity to the Hassan II Mosque, as we had little time at our disposal. The hotel room is, all in all, good, though overpriced for what you get. It looks faceless and pretty small, especially the bathroom, but it's quiet and offers what you need on a short stay. I found the best part of the room to be the view of the harbour and of the Mosque!
The hotel mostly targets business travellers and the lobby is modern but quite anonymous and cold. Check-in was fine, morning check-out in a weekday was instead slow.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple