“great little all-rounder”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Guynemer
Ranked #46 of 77 Hotels in Casablanca
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I booked this hotel as it was recommended by a guide book and was not disappointed.

From airport pickup to check-out I received lovely service. The staff are attentive and helpful (even to small things like hitting the light switch for the stairs before you head up.

My room was clean, the bed comfortable and the shower warm. Close enough to central Casa to be able to step out for a quick coffee, walk to the Ancient Medina or stroll aound admiring the art-deco architecture (the hotel itself is one of them), the location is great.

The hotel restaurant serves a small but tasty selection of Moroccan food and is licenced. There is a PC for guest use and free wi-fi available on the ground floor.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed May 8, 2010

I followed Lonely Planet's advice and stayed at Hotel Guynemer twice during my last year's trip to Morocco. Compared to those global chain hotels where I usually stay during my business trips, Hotel Guynemer maybe was just basic and 'acceptable'. But since that was an extra trip for me in 2009 because I was having a conference in Marrakesh, Hotel Guynemer turned out to be a not bad choice for someone who had a budget on mind yet was unwilling to forgo some fundamental 'criteria' for a nice stay. Hotel Guynemer fulfilled these criteria:

a. rather central location, clean and quiet room (and a TV hang on the wall, basically French and Arabic)
b. well-functioning en suite bathroom with a bath tub; overall very clean
c. free wi-fi, good signal (at least during my first stay, in my second stay there seemed to be connection problem.)
b. simple but decent enough breakfast
c. friendly staff; forgot the name of that young lad. he showed me around for the city tour and took the trouble accompanying me to the arcane shrine of Sidi Abdul Rahman off the coast at Ain Diab.
d. small lovely details, e.g. there's a little box beside reception where you can put your postcard and the staff will mail it for you (but you need to buy stamps from a provision shop some 50 meters away)

Last but not least, do try their restaurant for lunch or dinner. I tried many tagines throughout my trip in Morocco, but the one in Hotel Guynemer ranked quite high. Rest yourself in the long couch, make some noise with the bronze plate table and eat the sizzling tagine in style (and more often than not, alone) - nothing will be more memorable than this in the 'a-little-bland' and 'somewhat run down' Casablanca.

Casual staff, possible to be still eating while checking you in...but does that really matter? That's how Moroccans live their worry-free life.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 22, 2010

This hotel receives a glowing review in the Footprint Guide, but it does not deserve it. We found they had lost our reservation upon arrival and when we eventually did get a room we found it was dirty both in the room and the bathroom. The windows looked like they had never been cleaned, while the shower screen was mucky enough to host all manner of bugs. The sheets were threadbare.
The staff were friendly and the resident oud player was entertaining and good to talk with.
In marked contrast to the generality of the hotel, the evening meal was tasty and well priced. Even so, I could not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I spent one night at this hotel, and while I wasn't expecting luxury, I didn't expect to be bitten by bedbugs! The hotel is basic and shabby, there were no towels or shampoo in the bathroom. At night I woke up itching with bites all over my face, and I found bedbugs on my pillow and my sheets! I ran downstairs to the reception to report the situation, but because the hotel was completely full, they had no other room to put me in and I spent the rest of the night on the sofa in the lobby. While I have stayed in many budget hotels in the past, this was my first encounter with bedbugs, and it was quite a traumatic experience.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2010

The hotel caters to foreign tourists. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. There rooms are nothing special but are clean and serviceable. There is a free Internet computer available but it is old and slow--if you want to do more than briefly check your mail go around the corner where you can sit down and use better machines. A good value for the price.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Very nice days in this hotel, mustapha the manager was very nice and friendly, nice staff also, i think if rooms was more big it will be an advantage, the price is just.
if you look for a hotel in the center of the city with a good price and quality, dont look out, you may like.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2010

This hotel is amazing. It's clean, quiet, reasonably-priced, and the staff is the most warm, welcoming, and helpful I've ever encountered. I spent four days there last summer while I was scoping out hotels for a school trip I was planning. I knew my students would love Guynemer when I brought them in March 2010, and I was right. The hotel also helped me organize transportation for 14 people for one week as we traveled around the country; they made dinner reservations for our entire group; they suggested guides in the different cities we visited. I honestly don't think that the trip would have been as successful as it was without the help from the folks at Guynemer.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business