“Clean, tidy, close to the shops and ATM”
Review of Hotel Guynemer

Hotel Guynemer
Ranked #45 of 77 Hotels in Casablanca
Reviewed November 18, 2008

I stayed at the Guynemer for two nights in November. I booked a transfer from the airport, which was pretty expensive - 300 Dh - when I could have got the transfer with a private cab for 200.

The hotel does not do money exchange, but there is an ATM within 2 mins walk, accepting all credit cards and also my debit card - Maestro. There is also a large bank on the corner.

I had a large double bedroom which was clean and tidy. No wardrobe and no sign of fresh flowers however!

I changed rooms for the second night and had a large room, with a hugh bathroom with hot water and good pressure.

The breakfast was good - bread, pastries, eggs, cheese etc.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank jotravellerlondon

Reviewed October 6, 2008

Well What can I say about the Guynemer! ..... I travelled to Morocco on Vacation for 3 weeks and I have to say that Guynemer Hotel was by far the nicest, Cleanest!!!! place I stayed, the staff are fantastic, super helpful and made me feel very welcomed. I highly recomend it to anyone who is considering staying in Casablanca. you will be delighted by the atmosphere and the food is delicious!!!!! Will definately book there again when I go back next year!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Guynemer for three days in March '08 after arriving from California for our Moroccan adventure. We found the rooms to be clean and more than adequate for the price we were paying. The best part was the hotel staff. They were so friendly, helpful, courteous and provided the hotel with good energy. We had an excellent tangine dinner there one evening. The owner's son, Mustapha, was on hand making sure everyone was comfortable. In fact, we booked a private car and driver through him for 8 days to take us to the desert and back up to Marrakech with many stops along the way. It was a fair price. The car was new, and the driver was knowledgeable, efficient and spoke perfect English. It made our trip a dream come true. We can't wait to go back and be guests at the Guynemer again.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed August 29, 2008

First of all, this hotel had no fresh flowers in the room... In fact the rooms were incredibly dingy and pretty outdated. Oh and did I mention the ants? There are ants EVERYWHERE! Even all over the lobby and stairs.

Second of all, the staff has no idea what it is doing. I was in the process of checking out of my room (granted it was 6 in the morning), and the first thing the receptionist did was charge me the wrong price for my room. Then they proceeded to rob me of my luggage. My bag (with all my souvenirs from 8 months of travel, including all my photos in it) was taken and put in the van that was going to the airport- but I was not. I thought it was a simple mistake, and that when they unloaded the luggage at the airport and one piece was not claimed, they would return with this piece of luggage. But no, I was being far too naive...The van came back to the hotel empty-handed. I then proceeded to tell my story to the hotel owner, who showed me no compassion at all. I am planning on going to the police to report this as soon as I can. Oh, and by the way; the receptionist told me that this happens ALL THE TIME at the hotel! Well, at least he was being honest!

Have fun in Casablanca, but stay away from this filthy dump!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2008

i enjoy my trip in Maroc. Nice hotel and good manager. He organize for me a 10 days around is country.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank james43qc
Reviewed July 5, 2008

This hotel has somehow been classified as a 3-star hotel, and it is recommended by Lonely Planet with claims of spotless bathrooms and fresh flowers in each room (Ha!), but the only explanation I can think of is that they heard the LP people were coming and got to work. It is a Moroccan worker's overnight hotel which has found it profitable to host budget-conscious tourists.

Let's start with the positives: the staff really try hard and are decent people.

The problems, where do we begin? The driver never showed up at the airport. If you arrive at night, like we did, bring a torch as the lights will be mostly out and you won't know where the switches are as you climb the stairs and notice the smell of sewage from the bad plumbing.

The AC was too high up for us to operate, no towels were left, and the bathroom had mould on the ceiling and a cockroach on the floor. Look before you touch the bedside cabinet or you might be left with grimy and sticky fingers. This place needs a serious clean-up and refurbishment, and they should put insulation in the paper-thin walls if they want people to sleep. By the way, we got two single beds despite requesting a twin, which may mean that is the only choice, in true local worker's hostel style.

Yes, there is a terminal with internet access in the lobby but it is stand-up only and the keyboard is caked with grime and dust, probably because it is located right at the entrance. Their tours and dinners, as others have mentioned, are overpriced, but they didn't give us a hard sell -- the workers were all very nice and helpful, I should stress. It's not their fault they work at a shabby hotel.

Breakfast -- my advice is to arrive early, as the orange juice gets watered down later, presumably to stop it running out. The coffee is so bad, and the rest hardly worth having, but the good news is that there is a great patisserie nearby and cafes with decent coffee.

The location is actually a very seedy downtown area, and coming back at night we were followed by someone who looked high to me. it was the first time I was relieved and grateful to enter into the doors of the Guynemer --it is located in a fairly desolate backstreet, and I believe our pursuant was getting ready to make his move, because I turned round once I stepped inside and saw him just standing there staring, surprised perhaps at where we were staying.

Never again will I follow the special recommendations in a guide book which gives exaggerated reports of spotless bathrooms, Moroccan character... and fresh flowers!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joey111
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Multiple reviews and little fact and lots of fluff HERE IS A HELPFUL REVIEW:

Guynemer Website: Very Difficult to find and when found seems bogus but trust me they receive their emails and reservations and with prompt reply.

As for the previous reviewer it is a shame the reservation was lost, and yes this hotel does cater to large tour groups like Intrepid, Lonely Planet Tours etc but let us have a bit of pardon on them as it was probably a mistake. They did have the courtesy to arrange something for you and not leave you to walk aimlessly in a city with no where to go....

Airport Pickup: OVER PRICED. It is 300 DH for two people or 42 USD;. Though overpriced, it is convenient and the driver stands there with a sign awaiting your arrival. *There is the train that can be taken from just beneath the airport for 12 USD to Casa Voyager the train station near the hotel then just hop in a taxi for 10 DHS right to the hotel five minute drive very simple. Or a grand taxi for 28 USD from the airport to hotel door.

Staff and Hotel:

We were greeted and checked in and to our room in minutes these people have check in down to a science. And very nice gentlemen at the desk. The room is a throw back to the 1970's....this does not cause for a lack in sleep or comfort just a bit dated looking.

Beds are super comfy and showers are hot unless you plan to shower earlier in the morning when all the others are showering in the hotel then the shower is luke warm. AC works great too!

BREAKFAST or lack there of: For 72 USD a night I expect some protein with my breakfast...Mini Croissants', French Bread, Apricot jelly and butter, fresh O.J, coffee and tea. Eat as much as you like but no protein....starch can only take you so far! I mentioned this to the management that day and every day following they provided hard boiled eggs thankfully....this was truly unacceptable for that price; I am glad they reconsidered or at least as long as we were staying.

AND lastly the constant aggressive pitch to eat in their overprice restaurant and take overprice tours! RELENTLESS and who cares that there is a guy with a Moroccan banjo.....hit the streets and get local made tangens and Moroccan salad for at least fifty percent less in cost. BECOME one with Morocco leave the hotel!
Casa is a walking city getting to the mosque is 15 DHS and 120 to get in the hotel tries to sell you a 450 DHS half day tour YIKES!

Overall Guynemer is great....just a few issues. This review thought lengthy will provide you with fact not fluff. Safe travels.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends