“Stop Over Hotel”
Review of Barcelo Casablanca

Barcelo Casablanca
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in Casablanca
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The hotel is reasonably centrally located, in close proximity to cafes, restaurants and some shops. While its on a major road, it wasn't too noisy (despite us having a corner room on the 8th level).

We had booked a "mosque view room", and while we did get the corner room with a nice view of the street and the Casablancan skyline, we still weren't high enough to actually see the mosque.

The room was comfortable and tidy, but the TV channels were limited (not even a generic news channel in English). That said, it was a reasonable stay for a reasonable price, but probably not the best hotel for a stay of more than say 2 nights.

Room Tip: Get the "mosque view room". You might not actually be high enough to see the mosque, but t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TimTownPlanner
Barcelo-Maroc, Directeur général at Barcelo Casablanca, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

We wish to thank you for your time and comments.
It was a pleasure to read your review and we are thankful for your encouragements to continue to challenge ourselves to make you feel at home.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

My daughters and I stayed at this hotel twice - on arrival in Casablanca and on our return from Marrakech. The hotel is comfortable, although not as well appointed as some of the other hotels we stayed at. The room was large enough for 2 people and had a clean bathroom - the shower is in the bath. The breakfasts were repetitive and you need to ask which foods are halaal. The advantage is the hotel is centrally situated - hairdressers and a shopping centre close by although we were a little nervous to walk around after dark. I would recommend the hotel if you are in Casablanca for a short stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RMSA

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Our flight came in later at night and we just stayed here for the night. I have to say it was a decent hotel, though nothing special as it was a standard chain hotel which could be anywhere in the world. Not comparable to our following stays at Riads in other cities.
The room was clean, the only thing was that only one towel was in the room. We had to call twice and wait for over 1/2h before showed up to bring us a second one. Also there was no complimentry water in the room only for charge from the minibar. If I am in a country where tapwater is not safe to drink I expect free bottled water as a standard.
Breakfast was ok, not as bad as I anticipated from other reviews.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hesspoint

Reviewed March 17, 2012

I stayed here for 9 nights in March 2012. Initially at 23:00 on a Friday night I was given a room (7th floor) which smelt of stale smoke...after calling reception to change room, I was given a room higher up (11th floor). The room still smelt of stale smoke but I was too tired to change again.
In the morning I was woken up for the traffic, but fairly I believe this may be a problem all over Casablanca. The hotel is located right on the edge of a busy roundabout.

Initially, I was not impressed with breakfast (cost = MAD 180 approx EUR 18), but soon got used to bread rolls with jam. The toaster takes about 10 minutes to even slightly brown the bread.

The rooms are fairly modern and do have nice views in the very far distant of the Atlantic and the mosque. The water in the bathroom does turn hot and cold but the shower is a powerful. Despite staying at the hotel for over a week, my toiletries were never topped up...only after I requested toiletries did they supply me with some....and then the continued not to top it up once again!

The breaking point for the hotel was when I needed to iron suits / shirts for the week. The hotel does NOT have irons apparently anywhere on site! I asked for my things to be ironed, only they came back (after I had to pay for it), still crumpled. At this point it was too late to send things back so I had to go to work on Monday morning with crumpled clothes - not impressed!

The next day I did complain and they did sort out my ironing properly, but just a bit too late.

The reception staff were generally friendly when it came to recommending places to eat. However, asking for things to see was not very helpful. They were initially not very helpful with the ironing issue either.

Overall, there appear to be a lot of nice looking hotels in Casablanca which would rival the price and quality of this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay as high up as possible and request a non smoking room. If your room still smells of stale smoke...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank littleme_1983

Dear Customer,

We feel very uncomfortable for the statements you relate and we apologize for it. We believe that is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for. With this in mind, the comments such as yours are of the greatest importance and assistance to us.

Although your recent stay in our Hotel did not fully satisfy you, we would dearly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in a near future. If so, please let us know in advance of your arrival in order to welcome you personally.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 8, 2012

Overall, our stay was okay.
If you can book a room at a really good price, then it's worth it, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it at all.
The breakdown:
- the hotel and rooms were modern
- the room was quite cold
- the cleaning staff knock and walk two seconds after (literally) so if you do not want to be disturbed, keep the sign on your door knob
- we only received 1 towel
- we only had 1 roll of toilet paper
- the bedding was clean, lots of pillows
- the shower head was not stable and would fall off when turned on
- the shower barrier was not sealed and water to accumulate all over the floor

Restaurant: our meal was apart of the tour, but I noticed the prices and they are inflated for the quality; I would go into the city to eat as the food was fairly bland. I highly recommend Restaurant Etoile Central.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mewall21
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We arrived at 2 am after losing our luggage somewhere between Rome and Casablanca. The first room they gave us had an unmade bed and dirty towels in the bathroom. The second room had a broken toilet seat and the toilet didn't flush. The third room had the bathroom door hardware fall off and the shower handle came off when trying to turn on the shower. The trip went downhill from there. SunRay Travel and Atlas Voyages did not help at all with the lost luggage.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EdmontonPrairieGirl
Reviewed January 31, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in total as part of our tour group. Our room was nice, with free and reliable wi-fi. Our bathroom drains were clogged though so it gets pretty uncomfortable when showering in a pool of water! It was about a 10 min walk to the main shopping area (Zara, McDonalds, etc), and a 5 min walk to the starting point of the lonely planet walking tour.

Breakfast was great with a huge selection of food, and dinner was good too except for the lame veggie option (which was literally a 3 inch square of rice and 5 sliced veggies).

The front desk staff were not too helpful, but overall it was a solid 3* hotel that was clean and convenient.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 11daisy11
cmbarcelo, General Manager at Barcelo Casablanca, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2012

Dear guest,

Many thanks for your comments.

Your words are an incentive for all of us in our daily efforts to improve the quality and services we kindly offer you.

We take in our serious consideration your remarks and we are going to take immediately the right measures.

We are looking forward to seeing you in the near future and we hope to welcome you personally.

Ricardo Rubio Dominguez