“Good place to get souvenirs without a big hassle”

New Medina of Casablanca
Istanbul, Turkey
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Good place to get souvenirs without a big hassle”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

This area is much better for tourists to get souvenirs compared to the old medina. Great little area to shop. My guide book said there were set prices but I didn't find that at all. Definitely try to make a deal.

Visited August 2014

• Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“If travelling by petite taxi: "artisana" near the Royal Palace”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

A false start with my petite taxi who took me to the old medina - despite my map of town and saying NOT near the mosque. Market - souk - limited meaning - but artisana - Palais Royale hit the jackpot. His mistake - but only 20dh [on the meter] from my apartment at the Placa de la Victoire. Antiques with western shoppers. Dozens of shops - then segueing into casual market stalls frequented by the locals. I bought small Berger scarves with large folkloric rose pattern - paid 75dh for three. At the old Medina they asked 400dh - I said 200dh - he said no, I tried to walk away. He grabbed my arm - I said don't touch. Five minutes later he chased me down with the bagged scarves - 'Ok 200'. 'No!' No such harassment here. Bought a unique big-girl kaftan only 90dh. I even scored a free pastry sample at the fabulous Patisserie Chez Bennis: go under the archway at the tower, second street on RIGHT - look for the open doorway and tiled entry walls. Name above doorway. To take a taxi home - walk against the one way traffic to the main street in front of the Royal Palace. Choose your direction home. Hail taxi. Placa de la Victoire and map thrust - meaningless = Swahili! I had my host write an ARABIC note with the landmarks for my apartment - this worked! Good luck.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank venesiamontaign
Melbourne, Australia
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Take away dinner for a night in - and dessert”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Only one way into the new medina marketplace with the red petite taxi - under the arch - second side street on the RIGHT. I saw a wide open door and gorgeous heavily decorated tiled walls. I framed my photo and there was its name above the doorway! Perfect. It's hard to find pre-cooked dinner food for takeaway. Left with a baby roasted chicken wrapped in aluminium foil (stuffed with spiced rice). A tray of grilled sardine with an accompaniment of olives. Patient service today. One free savoury pastry to sample :) Change from 100 dh. Further into the more casual market - one the LEFT - another delightful pastry shop. Left with dessert - mini chocolate crepes and almond sprinkled croissants. I left the bees hovering over the honey pastries for another customer! Enjoy.

2 Thank venesiamontaign
Los Angeles, California
162 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“You can get anything and everything in these narrow streets”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This souk is easy walking distance from many hotels and therefore should not be missed. We walked through here after dinner one evening and felt very safe, so definitely worth a walk at any time of day. There are many narrow alleys with a huge selection of anything you might need or want from souvenirs to socks to underwear to luggage. Many designer knock-offs, some of which are quite amusing (Louis Vuitton flip flops?). It is certainly a one stop shop for souvenirs,if you have any cooks in the family get them saffron.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Lasa88
El Jadida, Morocco
140 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 351 helpful votes
“Relaxed, clean, but...”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

it thus doesn't feel like Morocco.

I'm not over keen on this area. I know, there is no hassle at all, but that's what I don't like! There seems to be so little of the frantic bustle and hustle of other souks in Morocco, even less than in the laid back Old Medina of Casablanca.

For me, this area is far more interesting for the buildings in it, some of which are listed as attractions in their own right on TA, and which are, a couple of them, quite magnificent.

Of course, if in Casablanca for more than a couple of days even, this is a must-visit. If time is short and there's no time to go to the interesting buildings here, then do some shopping at the Old Medina, it's far more authentic and charming.

Visited May 2014