“An old friend”
Review of Petit Poucet

Petit Poucet
Ranked #472 of 827 Restaurants in Casablanca
Cuisines: French
Description: +212 5 22 49 00 60http://casablanca.madeinmedina.com/en/au-petit-poucet-12582.htmlhttp://www.petitfute.com/adresse/etablissement/id/462922/le-petit-poucet-restaurants-cuisine-francaise-debut-milieu-et-fin-de-mois-bistrot-brasserie-casablanca
El Jadida, Morocco
“An old friend”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I haven't been here for some months, but I was reminded of it today as I went past it on the tram. It's still the same, utterly timeless, and hasn't changed since I first ate here 25 odd years ago and, reputedly, since novelist and aviator Antoine de St Exupery used to stop off here to relax on the Paris-Dakar mail-run before and during the War. That sounds awful, but it isn't. It's so completely charming and picturesque.

It used to be ruled over by a Frenchwoman of much more than "un certain âge", but she died some 15 to 20 years ago and I was told that "c'est toujours la même maison, Monsieur". And it is.

It's a French menu. All the classics and they are done well. I had steak au poivre last time I was here. The food comes on a trolley, just like in a grand restaurant in Europe and meals are served silver-service style. That goes for the hors d'oeuvres and dessert too. I got a lovely complimentary cocktail when I last went, but whether that's because they know me, I'm not sure.

Next door there's the bar of the restaurant for serious drinking! It's an exclusively male clientèle, although female foreigners are welcome.

It's worth a visit, just for the history - and the food's good too.

• Visited September 2012