“Centrally Located Hotel in Casablanca”
Review of Hotel Amouday

Hotel Amouday
Ranked #45 of 75 Hotels in Casablanca
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,438 helpful votes
“Centrally Located Hotel in Casablanca”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This review is quite late. I stayed at the Hotel Amoud with my friends twice: first upon arrival in Casablanca, and second, before our departure for Saudi Arabia. It is very easy to find this hotel, we just flagged a taxi from the Casa Voyageur Train Station and asked the driver to drop us at this hotel. It is strategically located in the city center within walking distance to main attractions and restaurants.

The rooms we had were spacious enough even with the extra bed. The aircon worked well, and blankets were also provided in case we are feeling cold. Wifi inside the room was strong, we managed to upload photos fast.

The complimentary breakfast was adequate but not really great. The dining area is next to the lobby. There are 3 interenet computers at the lobby but were not really in working condition.

For the price we paid, I feel we got good value for our money. Will not hesitate to stay in this hotel again on my next trip to Casablanca.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank pinoytraveller2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Modern lobby, and friendly staff really helpfull but dont accept to go to a restaurant that they advise u to go, cos the food isn't that great and its costly as well.
The rooms are nice but cold as well, they tried to sort the heating but without any result.
But overall it was fine the stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Coram, New York
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Pros:

The room was plain and basic. But it's probably good enough for its price (budget ~42 Euro per night for me in Sept. 2013). The place was quite close to the city center such as Place Mohammed V and Place Nations Unies. The receptionists all seemed very kind. When I tried to ask questions in French, they'd answer back in English.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Cons:

There were probably only like 10 or so working TV channels. Nothing of them was really in English (except one which showed movies, quite a bit of them were Hollywood movies => English with Arabic subtitles). There was no safe though.

Room Tip: Maybe, you could ask them for a room facing the street to have a better view. My room was facing th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Booked for 2 nights at €54 a night specifically requesting a room with strong WIFI. Was able to connect to WIFI in the lobby but there was a pop up requiring local telecom user ID that prevented it from working. Reception said they would fix in 5 minutes. Room on 4th floor (with lift) was extremely spacious if not somewhat dated. But more than OK for a few nights. Was not even able to get a WIFI signal in this room. Explained to reception who said technician was coming out today. On asking what time I was shown a room on L3 that had in room reception but same connection issue. This was after I was asked whether I wanted to cancel my booking which was a little problematical having no idea what my options were. However to their credit reception kindly then offered to find me another hotel and i ended up staying at Hotel Guynemer just around the corner which has working WIFI, a more than acceptable room and was only €37 a night. Ignoring the WIFI issue, Guynemer would win hands down every time as best value for money. Both are central to what is a fairly unimpressive medina and maybe a 30 minute walk to the mosque. If I had my choice again I would have skipped Casablanca altogether.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was spending about a week in Morocco by myself and chose to spend two nights in Casablanca. I travelled there from Fes by train and left by train going on to Marrakech.

With hindsight I would have skipped Casablanca altogether, but I went and so I feel I should review Hotel Amoud. It's located very well being close to the city centre. I was extremely surprised and happy with the overall look of the hotel and the standard of my room. It cost me 88 Euros for my two-night stay, plus the deposit I'd already paid to Hostelbookers.com...

Side note - Do not use Hostelbookers.com! They effectively charge you booking fees that you can avoid by booking direct with the property and because they quote you in your local currency this can lead to confusion and paying more than you'd expected. Whilst I wasn't operating on a tight budget I don't appreciate having to pay 10-15 Euros more than I'd expected.

Given that Casablanca is the main business centre for the country and that the clientele here appeared to be mainly business types from Saharan African countries, I though the cost of about £40 per night for the room was decent value. If there are two of you it represents even better value of course. The room had air conditioning, TV, a good bathroom and the inclusive breakfast was verging on excellent. What did let the place down was the noise. The walls are made of paper and some of the guests seem to like watching TV until 5am. The window kept out hardly any street noise and the tiled floors meant that every time the room upstairs moved a chair it vibrated right through my room. The guy on reception wasn't the friendliest guy I'd ever met but he did try to help when I asked.

Getting to the hotel from Casa Voyageurs train station is now made so much easier by the new tram system. There are trams from right outside the train station that stop in Place des Nations Unies, which is less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel. It saves you the hassle of haggling with the petit taxi drivers over price!

Wondering whether or not to go to Casablanca? Don't bother. Really feel the need? OK, well there is the Hassan II mosque which is fantastic, but that's about it for me. And you could do far, far worse than stay at Hotel Amoud.

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid having anyone above you, and a room at one end of a corridor to minimise the nois...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Chris G
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Reading some of the reviews of this hotel makes me smile. For some reason there are travellers who if they do a little research would know that Hotel Amoud in a three star Moroccan commercial hotel but seem to expect five star resort hotel sucking up and facilities. Casablanca is very much the commercial hub of Morocco...the majority of BUSINESS is done here. Casablanca has a charm that is well diguised by a dowdy art deco exterior. There are a few tourist attractions the Hassan ii mosque being the primary one. For most visitors Casablanca is merely a stopover and the Hotel Amoud is great value IF you keep that in mind....save your money for other places in Morocco. This most recent visit is our fourth to the Hotel Amoud and as we found on our first visit it really helps if the guests give a smile and a friendly greeting. Clean, central and very reasonably priced... Where in the world can you park your car at a hotel for free AT THE FRONT DOOR ! Heaps of cheap and cheerfull food places and cafes within 5 minutes walk. Another tip a petite taxi (red car) should be no more than 15 dirhams from the train station to the Hotel Amoud...including tip !

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Billabongshade
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The location of the Hotel is central and you can reach the medina and the grande mosque in less than half an hour.
Food is everywhere and cafes und Bars are around any corner.
Staff is very friendly and not annoying or tryingto sell anything. Nie change öffentlich pace.
Rooms were clean with all you need except a hair dryer.
We didn't Test the breakfast but there is one.

I would Not recommend to visit casablanca but if you do, Hotel amoud is a good place to stay!

• Stayed March 2013