“Great Value for Money :-)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caribbean Village Agador

Caribbean Village Agador
Ranked #31 of 78 Hotels in Agadir
York, United Kingdom
“Great Value for Money :-)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Arrived at the Caribbean Village Agador on 18th November for a 2 week stay. I have to say that I was not expecting much after reading the negative reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. I can't believe people have complained about not getting dropped off right outside the hotel - it is less than a minute walk to the entrance! Our room was very basic, but I was expecting this so that was fine. There was also a strange smell in the room but after a while you couldn't smell it anymore - certainly wouldn't let this spoil my holiday! The room was a good size though and we found the beds to be very comfortable. Our room was cleaned everyday to a good standard by our friendly maid.
The hotel grounds are lovely and well maintained, very clean. There are 4 pools in total but only one was heated so the others were freezing! We tended to stay around the 'relaxing' pool as this was the heated one and it was away from the noise around the main pool. You can only get soft drinks around this pool but this was fine as we don't drink much in the daytime. There seems to be a lot of people (French I think) who are return visitors here and may spend a few weeks here at a time. We found one of these people very rude and I'm sure she thought she ran the place - If anybody made any noise around the relaxing pool she would sit up and 'shhh' them! She especially seemed to hate it when kids were in this pool! However, the other pools were far too cold for the kids so you couldn't blame them for using this one! The noise didn't bother us one bit! If you want a sunbed in a good position then I'm afraid you do have to join the 7am sunbed hoggers! Some people were claiming a sunbed and parasol and then not even using them which meant that people actually using the pool area had no chance of getting a parasol for shade-quite selfish really!
Food - We found the food to be very good for 3 star AI resort. There was plenty on offer and most of it was very nice. The chicken tagine was lovely. It did get a bit samey after a while but we were there for 2 weeks so expected this. We never had a problem getting seated in the canteen but did find it better to go in a little later as it was bedlam earlier on-no fault of the staff, this was more caused by rude and ignorant people who like to barge past you when you have food and drinks in your hands! As for people complaining about not having a knife and fork on their tables - don't be so lazy, there are plenty of cutlery boxes around the canteen, how hard is it to pick some up yourself! We tended to sit in one area every time as the waiter was great and even got drinks for us which was a help to us but not expected-he did this without tipping although we did tip after a few days as he was great and deserved it.
We tried all the restaurants except the Fish one. Madame Butterly and Orient Express were ok but nothing special. The Steakhouse was really nice, as was the Pizzeria and the Medina. We never felt rushed in any of the restaurants.
Staff - All the staff we encountered were very friendly, helpful and worked very hard. It is true that if you tip in the lobby bar you get upgraded to glass instead of plastic but I personally preferred the plastic as the glasses were too small and made the drinks taste too strong. We didn't have a lot to do with the animation team but we could see that they do a very good kob and work very hard to ensure people have a good holiday. The guy in the drugstore was great fun and a really nice guy.
Our rep Hatim was the best rep I have ever encountered-he made time to talk to everyone and was very informative in his welcome meeting-he even gave us a tour of the hotel and showed us how to get to the beach.
Whilst we were in Agadir we did 2 trips. We went to Marrakesh with a tour company outside the hotel which was great but a long day. We also went to Paradise Valley waterfalls which were beautiful. We arranged this trip with one of the white mini bus taxi's outside the hotel and it was much cheaper than we expected-we arranged it with a guy called Kamel and he made sure we had a great day - he even made us a tagine in a Berber hut whilst we were swimming.
The large walled Souk is definatley worth a visit but be prepared to haggle. We went 3 times and the prices were much much better than the shops and stalls in the hotel.
This year we wanted a cheap relaxing holiday as our last 2 holidays (Cuba and Jamaica) cost us a lot more. This is just what we got and for what we paid I cannot fault this hotel (just maybe some of the rude guests who go here!). Lovely weather, lovely people and a great setting. I think some people must set off on their holidays wanting to find fault with things as some of the claims in other reviews are ridiculous!

7 Thank Alisonda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Polish first
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

People that say negative things about this hotel are people who expect to pay a couple of hundreds pounds and get the HIlton hotel. NEVER going to happen to sorry to break the news:)
This hotel is very clean, the room are very nice and big at the agador, the tamlett one I have visited and there are smaller but often have a nicer view than agador. The people there are lovely friendly and couldn't do enough for you even without tipping they are genuine. Especially Tarek at the shisha bedouin tent, Adhil from the pool bar :) and Iliyas for the animation team, my husband and I had a fantastic holiday thanks to all those people. food yes is very much repetitive but at the end of the day if you are going to spend 14 nights in a cheap all inclusive hotel you do not expect to have a la carte every night. the morrocan and the chinese was very good tagine to die for…..
and entertainment was fun and kept us moving at night when yes in november the evening are windy so chilly (hoodie required) but if you dance the sun dance you will be fine.
Amazing country amazing people and lovely weather .

5 Thank Audrey D
Blackburn, Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

If you go with an open mind, you will be very surprised.

Good Points: Great pools, Friendly staff, Fabulous beach area, and lots of entertainment

Bad Points: Cattlemarket canteen area who kept running out of crockery and cutlery, A La Carte restaurants Ok.

My husband and I have just returned from Morocco, and we fell in love with the place.

Bare in mind this hotel/village is absolutely huge, therefore to facilitate everyone's needs it will seem a little crowded and overbearing, however if you relax into the vibe of the place you will love it. The main eating area is a nightmare, but 10DH tip to the waiters will guarantee you a table on entry and knives and forks. Food is repetative, however there is something for everyone. The only thing i would say is there is not enough fresh fruit at breakfast. However, there is an Egg stand to cater for all, hot pancake stands, an abundance of bread, salads and cakes. Lunch has a hot plate for fresh meat and fish, and Dinner is the usual.

I would adequately advise this is a 3 star.

We tried 5 of the a la carte restaurants, and found the oriental to be the best. Bare in mind you are literally in and out within 45 minutes in a 3-4 course sitting.

In Nov the weather during the day was sunny, however, at night there is a chill, therefore jumper or jackets would be advisable.

We stayed in Block 29 which was away from the main pool area and nightclub. The rooms where kept very clean, and bedding and towels where changed everyday.

I would definately go back and stay here.

2 Thank Liza C
Hull East Yorkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Just returned from 10 night stay and was very very disappointed with the whole of the holiday at this hotel.
On arrival at the hotel no welcome at all no refreshments and so many people tryi to book in at once so had to queue and wait for ages
Our room was diabolical had not been cleaned or made up was so dark dismal and smelt disgusting, we asked to move and was given a choice of 2 rooms & settled for 1 slightly more appealing!
Could not believe the food hall & all the messy dirty tables just left all the time, you then have to pay a waiter to clear them before you can eat have never seen anything like this in a hotel, a drink was split on the floor and it was just left even though there could have been an accident, more the 20 waiters saw it but just left it.
Couldn't believe the miserable arrogant waiters in all bars all the time, it made me very apprehensive wanting to get a drink as I couldn't stand looki at them, they could only be bothered you serve you when it suited them you could be stood there ages waiting!, one waiter in the reception bar shouted so much at me whist asking for a coffee that he almost reduced me to tears, I never went to the bar again after that experience,
Would never ever return to this hotel again!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Lal31

Travelers are raving about these Agadir hotels

Dukinfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Great complex although pool loungers were a struggle to find even in November off peak, the staff were ok and the animation team absolutely brilliant in there efforts all day long.
The Canteen style restaurant was poor having 4 main problems, finding somewhere to sit even in low season, finding a plate I ate many a meal out off a bowl, finding something to eat, food was of a poor standard and often cold although Microwaves are available, which says a lot and finding cutlery often in short supply.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
West Sussex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Just back today, so it's fresh in the memory!
Having read the reviews on TripAdvisor we were keen to see for ourselves just what thw Caribbean Village was like having booked a week's AI earlier this year for a bargain price. I dont think I've ever seen such polarised reviews on one hotel!?
Anyway check in was good and speedy, the person that checked us in gave us our AI wristbands, a map of the resort & drew what was where and respective opening times of bars/restaurants. We were shown to our room by a porter who carried our bags for us. We were at the Tamlelt end of the resort, room 4012, refurbed I think & had aircon. Room was a decent size, 2 4ft single beds pushed together, good sized bathroom with a goid shower over the bath, hot water took a while to come through, but it was constant and a decent heat too.
The resort is set around 1 'main' pool with a pool bar & entertainment run by the titeless animation team, there was always something going on here and was a large area, we stayed away from this. We spent our time lounging by one of the many quiet pools which had a smaller bar 30 seconds walk away. There were sunbeds but it was still a case of having to grab them early, the hotel supplies pool towels at 100Dhs per person, per towel & they can be exchanged for clean ones every 2 days, deposit refunded when you hand your towels in at the end of your stay.
Personally, I thought the food was great, it was very samey if you allowed it to be, if you felt like trying something different then you could e.g eggs, omelettes, pancakes amongst croissants, pain au chocolat, cereal, fruit, bread, meat & cheese for breakfast. Pasta, chips, a couple of meat dishes & some massive salads + dessert for lunch & more for dinner with a bit more choice. As mentioned before it is all self service, which we didn't have a problem with, tip your waiters from the off and they can't do enough for you, inviting you to their cleared tables, finding you a table, getting your drinks etc, otherwise you're on your own & you don't actually need waiters at mealtimes other than to clear plates! If you want a bit of service, tip little and often, at least 10Dhs & you won't go wrong, this includes bar staff too, you may even get upgraded from plastic cups (understandable enough in a hard floor and poolside environment) to glasses at the main bar.
I think the main thing to remember is that this is Africa, Morocco isn't a typical European resort & we need to adjust our expectations accordingly, do that & you'll have a great time, even play around with your school level French & 1 or 2 Arabic phrases work wonders too, of course all the staff there speak English, but it doesn't hurt to try does it? The litmus test for me is, would I return to the Caribbean Village& unequivocally, yes I would! By the way, have a 2 hour Berber massage, worth every single centime!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dannygee
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Before I went on holiday (7th November) I read a lot of reviews on here, and could not really make my mind up whether I had made a mistake or not! People seem to either love the place or hate it. For me, it was neither.

Room:
Was OK. 2 Single beds pushed together. Very odd tiling, and step up to the bed area (just like the pics, to be fair). Dated, and strange, but not too bad. Rest was fine. No smells, no insects, no problems. Not for a romantic getaway, could do with refurb.

Complex:
Was nice. Huge, and lots of steps (there are step free alternatives for most routes). Plenty of pools, nicely done I thought. Clean and tidy. No rats, no smells, etc. Could do with some renewal of tables/loungers, but most is OK. Main reception reminded us of a student union bar. Lots of smoke, pool tables, etc. Shop keepers within the complex didn't harass too much, but I saw others being harassed. Basically, they are selling overpriced tat (sorry, but it is). If you want to buy anything I would take a taxi to the open souk (20dhm) and buy there - its such a nice place to visit and you don't get ripped off nearly as much.

Food/Drinks:
Not enough bars (soft drink bars are more plentiful than alcoholic drink bars), so you end up staying by the main pool almost be default, as the other bars are indoors (for beer). If you want soft and alcoholic drinks then you need to queue twice. That gets annoying. Food is pretty poor. Repetitive (as you'd expect for the money), and very bland. They do have tagines of "lamb" (?), chicken and veg fairly regularly, but even they are poor. Not much flavour. Best food I had when there was a Paella, and that is not remotely Moroccan. The a la carte's are odd too. You need to book, but you have no real menu choices (the "steak" house allows you to have turkey instead), and they try to get you out as soon as possible. There are plenty though, which does give a break from the monotony of the self service place. I went to Thailand last year, so have had vaccinations against everything you could imagine, and I very rarely get ill, but I had a bit of a dodgy tummy for the last 3 days.

Location:
Further from the beach than you'd imagine. Its only 5 mins walk, but its out the back entrance of the hotel, across a road over a bridge, and down a path between two other hotels, than across the promenade. There are people trying to sell jewellery, watches and sunglasses all over the beach. This gets tedious. Apart from that, location is good - close to open souk, not too far from harbour, etc.

Overall:
Not bad. Not a romantic trip, but you could probably do worse. Would I go back? No. But then, I don't really plan to go back to Morocco. I think it would be fair to say (having been to Marrakesh) that Morocco does have hotels that are a lot, lot, LOT worse than this. Equally, however, I suspect there are better - though this place wont kill you, and in my opinion isn't bad value for money.

Room Tip: Lots of people change rooms. If you don't like a room go and speak to reception - they are used...